Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what everyone has/prefers as far as radio and intercom systems. I recently installed this Rugged Radios set up. Unfortunately I put it in late in the season so I haven’t been able to try it out other than testing the intercom Bluetooth and talking to the wife in the driveway.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I can't make up my mind, but I want it to be completely wireless, i.e., no cables going to helmet. I'm in the process of installing a pumper and getting different helmets. I think I will install a bluetooth helmet to helmet intercom. I found one that does 1200 meters and can have 6 nodes, about $50 each. It limits you to less than a mile, but that should work in most cases.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The helmet to helmet is a must in these cars as they are pretty loud in the cab. For $50 each I don't think you can go wrong. Worth a try at least. The RR I have is crystal clear however, when listening to music there is no bass in their helmet kits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same Rugged radio/intercom system. Also recommend the Speed panel with the cutout and extra switch plugs. The wiring gets a bit busy behind it, but gives the best look and layout once installed.
I ran my helmet cables along the front intrusion bar and tied the plugs to the center cage tube at a spot that is inline with the helmet. Then I have the extension cables to the helmet.
Overall, the setup is just OK.
I have seen on race vehicles where the cable was run and secured to a shoulder belt which should be a cleaner install and doesn’t need the extension cable. The only issue with this is both helmets need to be setup the same.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Or make your own mount and faceplate. I used steel, so the Rugged water and dust cap has something to cling to, and some black RTV around the intercom faceplate:
IMG_1243.JPG

I bought coil cords for the headsets, grommets to seal up the holes and ran the cords through the roof of the cubby below the switches.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Tried the Cardo set up but ended up with the Rugged mostly because I also decided to install a pumper. If I was going to be connected with a tube another wire was no big deal and much better sound, reliability and no battery issues. Oh and the distance can not be compared especially in the woods.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The new radio is on their website now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts