Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

My car has 34 miles and 3 hours of use. I've done a few doughnuts on dessert roads and some light, light dessert driving. After a quick trip tonight with my daughter I felt the car pulling a bit. When I arrived home I inspected my car and found the right rear axle in the below position. Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm 4 days into the factory warranty!

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
Welcome Lynx, first thing hopefully you have harnesses. Second thing, don't do doughnuts, sure way to roll over. The earlier XXs had axle issues, haven't heard about new ones though. Anything is possible. Bring it back to the dealer, let your warranty work for you.

Reactions: Blochd63

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome Lynx, first thing hopefully you have harnesses. Second thing, don't do doughnuts, sure way to roll over. The earlier XXs had axle issues, haven't heard about new ones though. Anything is possible. Bring it back to the dealer, let your warranty work for you.
Well, welcome to Arctic Cat, this is what they do, for what ever reason they just can't seem to get the engineering right, its sad but true the consumer seems to be responsible for the R&D, pretty disappointing to see such a huge failure on such a new machine. Luckily you have warranty!!!

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Ignore Gord. There are tons of XX owners that have thousands of miles with absolutely no issues. When I look at other brands, there are always several things that I see and think "I would do that differently". Not so much on an XX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignore Gord. There are tons of XX owners that have thousands of miles with absolutely no issues. When I look at other brands, there are always several things that I see and think "I would do that differently". Not so much on an XX.
Thanks. I contacted my salesman yesterday (on Fathers day). He promised they'd take care of me. I'll keep ya'll posted on what transpires. As it stands, I'm two hours away from the dealer. I'm gonna demand they come get this machine and fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much assembly is done at the factory VS the dealer? Is this a factory fail or did the dealer assemble it incorrectly?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Bad axle. My brother had a new axle fail also. Didn't bring a spare with him for that weekend so he removed it and drove in 3wd...the other one held up well.
Bad metalurgy. New one with fix your problem...advise the dealer the axles should have at least a 1/4 inch of play left in the center slip yoke at both full droop and full compress if the swingarm angles are correct.
And those rear tires look like they have more than 34 miles on them.
Look like mine with 1200

·
Registered
47 Posts
That axle actually broke, that is not the norm. Pulling out and CV failures are the norm. I'll stick with my 11 rib axles, no problems in 2400 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad axle. My brother had a new axle fail also. Didn't bring a spare with him for that weekend so he removed it and drove in 3wd...the other one held up well.
Bad metalurgy. New one with fix your problem...advise the dealer the axles should have at least a 1/4 inch of play left in the center slip yoke at both full droop and full compress if the swingarm angles are correct.
And those rear tires look like they have more than 34 miles on them.
Look like mine with 1200
Thanks for the information. Does the dealer put the axles in or does the factory?
Well, welcome to Arctic Cat, this is what they do, for what ever reason they just can't seem to get the engineering right, its sad but true the consumer seems to be responsible for the R&D, pretty disappointing to see such a huge failure on such a new machine. Luckily you have warranty!!!
That axle actually broke, that is not the norm. Pulling out and CV failures are the norm. I'll stick with my 11 rib axles, no problems in 2400 miles
Where do I get 11 Rib Axles?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the information. Does the dealer put the axles in or does the factory?

Where do I get 11 Rib Axles?
Your axles were factory installed assuming their the originals, the 11 rib axles are the 2nd gen axles, you have the 3rd gen axles. Any arctic cat part supplier can get you the 2nd gen axles. If your still under warranty, you going to get another 3rd gen axle, unless you have a really really good dealer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your axles were factory installed assuming their the originals, the 11 rib axles are the 2nd gen axles, you have the 3rd gen axles. Any arctic cat part supplier can get you the 2nd gen axles. If your still under warranty, you going to get another 3rd gen axle, unless you have a really really good dealer
Ignore me if you wish, lol but I refuse to make excuses for poor design or poor parts, the X starter problem is another example of poor engineering. you should be getting a replacement axle that can withstand normal use a failure like that at 34 miles under normal driving conditions is not a very comforting beginning for a new purchase. Making lame excuses for the manufacturer is not going to result in the quality we should be able to expect. I had a similar experience with a brand new Prowler, at 25 klm stator cover shaft bosses failed, dealer advised it was a reoccurring problem caused by a poorly designed cover an upgraded one was the only solution, a month later I got it back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ignore me if you wish, lol but I refuse to make excuses for poor design or poor parts, the X starter problem is another example of poor engineering. you should be getting a replacement axle that can withstand normal use a failure like that at 34 miles under normal driving conditions is not a very comforting beginning for a new purchase. Making lame excuses for the manufacturer is not going to result in the quality we should be able to expect. I had a similar experience with a brand new Prowler, at 25 klm stator cover shaft bosses failed, dealer advised it was a reoccurring problem caused by a poorly designed cover an upgraded one was the only solution, a month later I got it back.
Not going to ignore you cause your correct!
He got a defective axle and I'm sure they will replace it under warranty. The next one will be better, and will last the term as expected

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2018 blew an axle out in the first 50 miles. Ran the replacement and machine to 2500 miles and it never had another issue. My 2019 I ran it up to 2500 miles and only a bad o-ring on the altinator pto shaft which was replaced under warranty no other issue at all. I have 500 miles on my 2021 and it's been good so far. One exception is the dual rate spring dividers were installed upside down on both front and rear shocks. That's something I would check on your 2021 it will make your plush ride very bad. Cat will fix it. Tell your dealer when your in there. Quality control is everything in mass production.

·
Registered
2018 XX
1 Posts
Any One have An Idea where you can find bearings for lower control arms for XX 2018 and Steering ones???

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
If you mean the bronze bushings where the control arms mount to the frame, Oilite p/n FFM1622-25 bushings are 25% longer, should last 25% longer and when I bought them a few years ago they were cheaper than OEM bushings. They are actually used on all of the Wildcats (Trails, Sports, 1000/X, XX), though the Sport/Trail use fewer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2018 blew an axle out in the first 50 miles. Ran the replacement and machine to 2500 miles and it never had another issue. My 2019 I ran it up to 2500 miles and only a bad o-ring on the altinator pto shaft which was replaced under warranty no other issue at all. I have 500 miles on my 2021 and it's been good so far. One exception is the dual rate spring dividers were installed upside down on both front and rear shocks. That's something I would check on your 2021 it will make your plush ride very bad. Cat will fix it. Tell your dealer when your in there. Quality control is everything in mass production.
Hey Boondogger. Can you send a picture of the proper installation of Dual rate spring dividers? I've read several examples of that in other threads. I don't have anything PICS to reference to know if mine are upside down. . .

·
Premium Member
7,930 Posts
it would probably be wise not to mention your krispy creme maneuvers to your dealer and just get it fixed...we've had first and third generation axles on our rig with no issues...but i'm a milk toast operator...aka "old"...

Reactions: Total Loss

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Lynx, this is too simple: the spring divider has a long side and a short side. Short side up. Stevie Wonder could do it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts