Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the bushings on the rear of my 2014 Trail. Rather than trying to beat the old OEM bushings out of the knuckle on the machine I was just going to remove the axle and get the old OEM bushings out on the bench. Well, I pushed in and pulled out and the axle came apart. I have never removed or installed an axle before. What did I do wrong and now how do I fix it? The pictures are from the driverside rear.

Premium Member
Okay, first I'll start with what you did wrong. When you said you pushed in then pulled out on the axle, you must have done that with the actual shaft (round bar) itself, which caused it to pull out of the boot. With that said, I see a problem that must have been from the factory. There should have been a tri shaped roller bearing assembly that rides inside the section that is still in the trans. It is held onto the end of the shaft with a clip, which must be missing or broken and the reason it pulled out like it did. It would have still come apart, but it would have stayed in the boot, because you wouldn't have been able to pull it through the boot hole. Now, how you should have done it. You should have removed the axle nut on the other end of the shaft and then pushed that end through the hub assembly. That way the axle stays with the machine. If I recall when I did my bushings, I used an impact gun to take the nut off, but you can also use a long breaker bar. At this point, if it was me, I would just replace the axle with a new one. You can put your old one back together, but you'll need a boot kit, which along with a boot, would come with a packet of grease and new boot clamp. You would also need a new clip to replace the one that's missing or broken. You'll still have to remove the end of the cv axle in the trans, which can be difficult to remove. There should be plenty of threads on that subject if you put in a search. Just remember, shit happens and not all lessons are free. 馃榾

Reactions: mtgott

Registered
I've never had my axle out so I can't comment/ help you there. I will say that every year I inspect my bushings and take the axle out of the hub to grease my bearings. The castle nut should be torqued to 200 ft/lbs so it's tight, but doing it this way means you: 1) don't have to mess with removing the axle from the transaxle and 2) this allows you to inspect your wheel bearings in the hub. It's a 30mm socket for that castle nut. You'll also need 5/32 x 2 cotter pins as well.

Reactions: dspete05

Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dspete05, yep I pulled on the round axle tube not the CV case on the trans axle Live and learn. I like to do most of my own repairs and maintenance. Folks like you and Wired and many of our other forum members help me to learn and enjoy this stuff. I got everything apart. The CV axle from the trans axle is out. I got the trishaped roller assembly out of the CV case. There are 6 ball bearings rolling around now also. Not sure I have the patience and our skill to put all that back together, we'll see. Anyway, Wired I'll for sure take the castle nut loose at the wheel for the other side. Hopefully there are no surprises doing it that way.

Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dspete05, yep I pulled on the round axle tube not the CV case on the trans axle Live and learn. I like to do most of my own repairs and maintenance. Folks like you and Wired and many of our other forum members help me to learn and enjoy this stuff. I got everything apart. The CV axle from the trans axle is out. I got the trishaped roller assembly out of the CV case. There are 6 ball bearings rolling around now also. Not sure I have the patience and our skill to put all that back together, we'll see. Anyway, Wired I'll for sure take the castle nut loose at the wheel for the other side. Hopefully there are no surprises doing it that way.
O.K. So I got the inner rear CV removed from the Transaxle and got everything cleaned up. I am reinstalling the cage/race and ball bearings into the CV. My question is, "On the cage that goes back into the CV housing, does the tapered end go on the axle shaft first and the squared off or flat edge go towards the transaxle?" It was rotated when I took it out and I'm sure there is a specific way it goes in. I am confused from watching some videos on which way it goes in.

Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail
Discussion Starter #6
Got it all done and put back together. Rebuilt the axle I pulled apart and finished the rear bushings with all the great input and advice. Thanks for sharing.

Premium Member
Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner, I was working nights the last few days. I'm glad you were able to get it back together and if you need help with anything else , I would be more then happy to help you if I can. I did get your message and again, I apologize for not getting back to you. My job doesn't allow me to get on the forum as often as I would like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts