Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everyones input on the wc trail. I am looking at picking up a new sxs this spring and debating between a few models. I have owned quite a few yamahas and hondas over the years but never an AC. It sounds like an impressive machine and i love the 50" width. The one problem i have is that i need to be able to bring two kids along for the ride. I have scoured the internet looking for a trail that has a back seat and rollcage. These are common on almost every other machine made but cant seem to find anything for the trail. Have any of you seen this done? If so could you help direct me to the right place? This is a deal breaker for me with AC and hoping they have something that works!

·
Premium Member
8,118 Posts
Hi all. I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading everyones input on the wc trail. I am looking at picking up a new sxs this spring and debating between a few models. I have owned quite a few yamahas and hondas over the years but never an AC. It sounds like an impressive machine and i love the 50" width. The one problem i have is that i need to be able to bring two kids along for the ride. I have scoured the internet looking for a trail that has a back seat and rollcage. These are common on almost every other machine made but cant seem to find anything for the trail. Have any of you seen this done? If so could you help direct me to the right place? This is a deal breaker for me with AC and hoping they have something that works!
welcome to the forum...as previously mentioned i think you're out of luck in regards to sitting more than two in the trail (driver/passenger)...possibly a dog on a platform in the trunk area...the trail isn't built for it and certainly wouldn't be safe if you jerry rigged it...a four seater is the way to go...but it won't be at 50"s...

Reactions: SteveAhReeno

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Someone on here made a custom seat to fit in the middle between the seats, so he can seat one of his kids. They had pictures of it. All depends how old the 3rd kid is, the smaller the better.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Anything is possible with skill, time and money but not always practical. It can be done but to be safe it would be a huge undertaking. You would have to cut it in half and stretch the frame.

·
Administrator
28,096 Posts
Welcome schniget. IMO, very bad idea, and I don't think it could be done without sacrificing your kids safety. The Trail is a 2 seat small SXS. Any frame modifications would also void your warranty. Look at the 4 seat Wildcat, enough room for you and the family. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feeddback. Definately not looking to modify the frame. I was hoping they had a bolt on kit similar to the polaris or can ams. I looked briefly at the WC4x but just way too long! Similar to the rzr 4 and can am 4. I do a lot of riding up in some pretty tight areas and these are just way too big. I would take a closer look at the honda if it had more power than a moped and could actually climb a hill at 10k feet... I think i am leaning towards the teryx 4 for now but i appreciate all of your feedback!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have thought about what I'll do when the kids get big enough to go riding. A four seater wouldn't work for me because I use mine for hunting and things around the house. It's just too big. After thinking over a bunch of options, I've just decided to get a second trail in a couple years. The cool thing is that you can get two for the price of a Can Am!
Also, if I put my kid in it with their car seat or a booster, I would have a side net to go with my full doors. Helmets of course. Not that I plan on driving like an ass with the kiddos.
I just don't think the trail is big enough to do something like that. Also, the weight is 60% in the rear 40% up front. If you put seats on the back, the front tries would come up!

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you want to stay with the Arctic Cat brand you could get a Prowler 1000 XTZ, lock the bed down securely and add seats in the bed. The bed has a 600 lb capacity so there's plenty room for seats and will hold your kids weight. The prowler has a shorter wheel base and a stronger motor then the Tyrx and is a very capable machine as well, there are tons of Prowler owner's that have down this and love it. Might check it out

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I saw an idiot down in the Black Hills last year with a rzr that had two car seats strapped down in the rear box. Didn't see the owner, but the rig at a camp site. didn't care much about his passengers.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The reason I bought the Trail for my wife is so she could take our youngest in it while I ride my quad. I figuered rhis way is best. She gets to have fun driving and we get to spend time together in a recreational setting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
one of my main intents was also to get the trail for me in the youngsters for a family thing and trying to get the kids off the video games so far kids love it its for my youngest I just put him in his carseat strap him and nice and tight and take it easy

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Id sit my drunk buddy in the back but i wouldnt put my kids in there. Not only is the box small, high up, and unprotected but its been known to get hot enough to burn skin and melt cargo. Even if i managed to mount a seat with harness i still wouldnt do it. Even if they were strapped in, if you rolled the trail there wouldnt be much protection for them once the cage starts to crumple. 21" from floor of cargo box to top of cage, now flip the trail upside down and the first thing that hits will be someones head followed by 1000lbs plus of AC engineering. Just not safe in my opinion. This is the first time i have recommended someone dont get a Trail.

·
Registered
2014 Wildcat Trail XT
319 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.