Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I hauled the busted cat over to B&M Machine Works today because my long time riding friend offered me use of his facility, machines, know-ho and tools to aid in my reconstruction. My brother and him are doing the majority of the fabricating, because I'm just a computer guy, not a welder, machinist, fabricator, etc guy. Donkey had the ball joints in stock for me to pick up tomorrow, but we decided to get an early start tonight. We opted to chop up the existing lower A Arm and use the angles to preserve the geometry since building a jig with the opposite side A arm would be difficult with the shock mount in the way when you turn it over. The only tubing I could easily get in Tulsa was .120 wall, so we had to machine some joiner pieces from 1.25" solid steel rod. We mated the old with the new tubing, measured, hammered, pulled, measured etc until we had a match with the other side when measuring length and location in relation to the rear trailing arms from specific points. We had to quit early tonight due to school, work, kids, pissed off wives etc, but we made good progress. With Donkey's help with well stocked parts, and Walker Evans with amazing service, I will have all I need tomorrow to finish her up, and then it's off to Sahara. Well after I mount some light bars and seat belts.

A few pics:

Upper a arm fixed with the straightened tie rod IMG_0366.jpg
Hacking up the F***ed up parts IMG_0367.jpg
Scary looking pile of parts IMG_0368.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hanging out waiting for some new digs:
IMG_0369.jpg

About ready to start measuring and testing:
IMG_0370.jpg

Tacked and bolted in place ready for cross braces:
IMG_0371.jpg

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
what happen? Did you hit something or land to hard.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quick rehab for the cat,way to get motivated! Great progress!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what happen? Did you hit something or land to hard.
Little of both, I put a couple of pics right after in the general section under Green 113 is mine, but basically I hit a 6 foot deep ditch doing 50, dove in the bottom of it, and came to a dead stop against the other side instantly. Very little damage for what I did to it, impressive durability.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If he'd been going faster, he might have cleared the entire ditch.

When in doubt, punch it! LOL

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
It is fortunate that you have the motivation and the access to everything that you do to get this back together quickly. Most people would be SOL waiting for parts.

:cool:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost done, just need to finish the shock, having an issue with the cap coming off, and I left the seals at home. One more night and she is done:
painttime.jpg bolted on.jpg

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Lookin good!

·
Registered
945 Posts
A little cut here.....a little grind there.....a nice little weld here.....presto!!

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
While you are playing with your kitten take one of the front fender off and take a few pic. It will look like a trophy truck DSC05731Jump.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts