Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the carrier bearing on my X. It has 1500 miles and it's got alot of play in the bearing. I've got the driveshaft unbolted but I'm having trouble removing the metal clamps that hold the rubber boot on the front driveshaft. I figured they were standard squeeze clamps but they look alittle different. What's the trick to getting these off?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can try to slide them off if they r not rolled too tight. They take a special pliers type to squeeze them on install. I cut them off. I have seen people use large zip ties in place of them if you don't have access to the pliers. Maybe oreilleys or auto zone has loaner pliers. They are kinda a one use clamp.

Reactions: DukeNukem

·
Registered
433 Posts
Funny you post this because im doing the same job right now and had the exact same problem. The way i got it out of the boot was just taking a screw driver and prying the clamp to loosen it up a little bit. I figured id have to cut it off but i got lucky. No idea how ill get it back in...lots of silicone spray and push like hell I suppose lol.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Use a good needle nose pliers. There is a little tab for one end and go to the bump on the other. squeeze with one hand and use the other to pry the clip of the band. you should be able to reuse it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll try alittle elbow grease to get them off. But before I spend to much time I'll cut them off with some side cutters. I've got some of the metal clamps for replacing axel boots. I just hope the bearing comes off shaft without to much trouble. I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Tn32268

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, job is done. Just need to drive it down the road and give it a test drive. I was able to get the clips off using a flat screwdriver and prying up on the lip of the clip. Going back I just used a pair of channel locks. Biggest part of the job was getting the old bearing off the shaft. Just wasn't using the right size hammer the first few tries. I decided to make a video installing the bearing because I didn't think any of you would believe me when I said it was easy. I'll post it up asap. Ended up adding the inner tube to the bearing frame like Andy recommended.

Reactions: Arizonacrawler

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny you post this because im doing the same job right now and had the exact same problem. The way i got it out of the boot was just taking a screw driver and prying the clamp to loosen it up a little bit. I figured id have to cut it off but i got lucky. No idea how ill get it back in...lots of silicone spray and push like hell I suppose lol.
How's the job going?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Had to heat my bearing and press it off. Used a convective heater to heat the bearing...really neat tool. Cleaned the shaft up and the new bearing pressed on easily. Been working all weekend so didn't get it together yet but definitely doing AJs rubber mod when mine goes together as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts