Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all, just picked up a 2015 X and am loving it compared to my 06 Yamaha Rhino, but its not perfect and could use a little TLC.
One main issue with it, is the steering has the "typical" play in it, I've read all over this forum.
I have about an inch of play in either direction, after centering the wheel, before the wheels start to turn.

I noticed the felt pad is coming out and bunched up on the passenger side of the sliders. and what is happening when I turn the steering wheel, is the entire slider assembly is turning/spinning slightly before it finally stops, and then transfers the movement to the tie rods to move the wheels.

I've watched 2 videos about replacing the slider assembly and it doesnt seem hard, just time consuming.

So my question is... Is it worth getting in there to replace the felt pad and realign/tighten everything up by doing the process I've read on here (when you loosen the bolts and turn the wheel to one side, then tighten them back up) or should I just throw down the cash and purchase a whole new upgraded system from 715 wildcat riders and be done with it?
Or is there another option, besides 715's kit that I'm not aware of?

Thank you for everyone's opinion on this.

·
Administrator
27,969 Posts
Hello all, just picked up a 2015 X and am loving it compared to my 06 Yamaha Rhino, but its not perfect and could use a little TLC.
One main issue with it, is the steering has the "typical" play in it, I've read all over this forum.
I have about an inch of play in either direction, after centering the wheel, before the wheels start to turn.

I noticed the felt pad is coming out and bunched up on the passenger side of the sliders. and what is happening when I turn the steering wheel, is the entire slider assembly is turning/spinning slightly before it finally stops, and then transfers the movement to the tie rods to move the wheels.

I've watched 2 videos about replacing the slider assembly and it doesnt seem hard, just time consuming.

So my question is... Is it worth getting in there to replace the felt pad and realign/tighten everything up by doing the process I've read on here (when you loosen the bolts and turn the wheel to one side, then tighten them back up) or should I just throw down the cash and purchase a whole new upgraded system from 715 wildcat riders and be done with it?
Or is there another option, besides 715's kit that I'm not aware of?

Thank you for everyone's opinion on this.
I edited your post. Please don't put up links from Non Supporting Vendors.

Reactions: ALE 5six1

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
How many miles a year are you gonna drive it? if your a 1000 mi + / yr driver I would do the upgrade anything less than that I would probably just rebuild.. Do a search on the forum and you can find a thread about installing the sako rack yourself if you have the right tools and skills, If not get the drop in from 775.
Eventually I will install the sako in both of my units.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How many miles a year are you gonna drive it? if your a 1000 mi + / yr driver I would do the upgrade anything less than that I would probably just rebuild.. Do a search on the forum and you can find a thread about installing the sako rack yourself if you have the right tools and skills, If not get the drop in from 775.
Eventually I will install the sako in both of my units.
Yeah I'm probably gonna be right around 1000 miles a year, as we typically ride once a month for the weekend.
Never heard of the sako rack, Thanks for the info! I'll look into it. As I do like working on cars and have decent experience as I had to rebuild the top end of my Rhino when I got it, so it could be fun for me to tear into it.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Yeah I'm probably gonna be right around 1000 miles a year, as we typically ride once a month for the weekend.
Never heard of the sako rack, Thanks for the info! I'll look into it. As I do like working on cars and have decent experience as I had to rebuild the top end of my Rhino when I got it, so it could be fun for me to tear into it.
The nice "Rack" in the 715 kit is a sako. sand buggy shops stock several models of them. The fun part of your build will be the adapter shaft and specking out tie rods / ends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The nice "Rack" in the 715 kit is a sako. sand buggy shops stock several models of them. The fun part of your build will be the adapter shaft and specking out tie rods / ends.
Oh right, I guess I should have said "slider assembly". so I read through this Factory Steering sucks. Time to go aftermarket about upgrading the sliders to a saco unit. is that the only way to do it? replacing the entire steering assembly? or can you just replace the sliders with a saco unit?
and if it requires fabricating and welding, unfortunately I dont have the skills for that.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
My "Rack" comment had ulterior motives LoL,

Both the steering box and slider assembly is changed out for the newer systems.

So with a little research I found a comment on Kar Tek Off Road that said Sako had gone out of business, yet they still show up on various sites. In my research I found another one called Howe's Diablo rack made by Howe Performance in California, some of their bigger units are for rock crawlers and have hydra assist which with a 12v snow plow pump might offer an interesting combination.

Do a search on any of the names and or systems for sand rails / rock buggies ect as they would tranfer over to our SxS use. Arctic Cat and their great wisdom had to put their name on everything instead of outsourcing to manufactures who has been there and done that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My "Rack" comment had ulterior motives LoL,

Both the steering box and slider assembly is changed out for the newer systems.

So with a little research I found a comment on Kar Tek Off Road that said Sako had gone out of business, yet they still show up on various sites. In my research I found another one called Howe's Diablo rack made by Howe Performance in California, some of their bigger units are for rock crawlers and have hydra assist which with a 12v snow plow pump might offer an interesting combination.

Do a search on any of the names and or systems for sand rails / rock buggies ect as they would tranfer over to our SxS use. Arctic Cat and their great wisdom had to put their name on everything instead of outsourcing to manufactures who has been there and done that!
Ooooo now I see what you did there 😂
Thanks for the info, I'll start looking into these other systems you mentioned. But if they require cutting and welding new items in, I'm out.
I would rather just pay a few hundred more for the 715 kit if its a drop in unit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts