Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport 700
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Wildcat sport 700 (as my username says) , and I am wanting to hook up a chase light to be seen better while riding with others. I want one with brake lights, strobe lights, and a reverse light.

I am wondering how I would hook up the reverse light so that it lights up when I shift into reverse, not with a rocker switch or anything.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on what brand of chase light to buy.

Thank you!

·
Registered
778 Posts
You would have to 1) get in to the ECM to determine when the machine is in reverse or 2) hook up a switch based on the position of the shift lever to determine when in reverse. The latter would be all mechanical and much easier IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would have to 1) get in to the ECM to determine when the machine is in reverse or 2) hook up a switch based on the position of the shift lever to determine when in reverse. The latter would be all mechanical and much easier IMO.
Ok, thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Just thinking out loud for a moment: does the Sport/Trail limit your speed in Reverse, but with an override switch, like the X? If it does, and if the status of the override circuit changes when you shift into Reverse, you might be able to drive a relay with it for reverse lights.

Reactions: Wired

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thinking out loud for a moment: does the Sport/Trail limit your speed in Reverse, but with an override switch, like the X?
Yes it does limit the speed but it also does have the override switch. I will look into that for my 700. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just thinking out loud for a moment: does the Sport/Trail limit your speed in Reverse, but with an override switch, like the X? If it does, and if the status of the override circuit changes when you shift into Reverse, you might be able to drive a relay with it for reverse lights.
That is an EXCELLENT idea! I had forgotten all about that. I wonder if there's only power to that switch when the ECM senses you're in reverse. If so, you could simply tap into that to trigger the lights. Would be easy to diagnose with a simple 12v test light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is an EXCELLENT idea! I had forgotten all about that. I wonder if there's only power to that switch when the ECM senses you're in reverse. If so, you could simply tap into that to trigger the lights. Would be easy to diagnose with a simple 12v test light.
Yes, that makes total sense! I will try testing that system and let you know if it works. Thank you both for the help!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but was never fond of a reed or magnetic switch to automatically trigger the lights. This might just be the key! Keep us updated @2015_Sport_700. FYI - I've used the Ampper rock lights for rock lights, and I have a red and white one for dome lights. I highly recommend these lights as they're cheap and I have never had an issue with them. They also come with mounts to mount directly on a tube if needed. Check 'em out on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Yup, that is what is being discussed.

That override circuit doesn't have to go hot to use it, though that is more straightforward. Even if the lead to the override switch goes to ground when in reverse, you can use it to trigger a relay for the reverse lights. The key is it has to change status, and that isn't a given.

Note that you might disable the speed limiting feature by doing this. I'd rather have reverse lights than a reverse speed nanny, but I wouldn't expect everyone to agree on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again,

A few weeks ago I ordered an Xprite rear chase light for my wildcat. It has 2 brake lights, 2 orange flashing lights, and a single white light that is meant to be used as a reverse light.

So, I tried testing the reverse override switch with a small tester light. When I tested it the light never came on. I tested the witch in reverse in 2wd and 4wd, and in park. But the light never came on, and I wasn't sure if my tester light was broken or if something was wrong with the override switch. So after receiving my light, I decided to test the switch again but using the wire that runs to the reverseight on the chase light bar.

Basically, the switch is hot all the time, in any gear, meaning that tapping into that would make the reverse light run solid rather than switching on and off when I shift in and out of reverse like I had hoped.

I hope that wasn't confusing, and sorry for the late response.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Bummer, but thanks for sharing that it was a dead end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts