Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum Members:

I am requesting any information regarding the process of removal of the ignition coil wire from the Trail/Sport spark plug cap. As you may already know, the spark plugs are recessed and are unlike typical caps that simply screw onto the wire as far as I can tell.

•The caps may well unscrew however, it does not appear to be the case and I do not want to ruin it.
•I spoke with my local AC service shop but they could not help me.
•The official service manual does not describe the process either.
•My AC part guy said they are sold separately, so they must be removable.

I ask because I intend to install an i-booster F1on each coil. Thank you for any assistance regarding this matter. Paul.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello member.

So I gather that after I remove the caps from the spark plug hole on the cylinder head and pop the wire out of its 90 degree orientation with the cap, all I need to do is pull the cap straight off the wire? Is there anything else holding them together? The Ibooster is intended to screw into the cap so there must be some type of intermediate mechanism that screws onto the coil wire then clips into the cap? I am still reluctant to pull the wire out. I would not want to ruin a weekend of riding because I broke my ignition wire.

KTM cap wires unscrew easily so I am accustom to that.

Thank you for your help and I will give it a closer look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do they only unscrew from the coil side then? I need to attach the end of the coil wire which would terminate in the spark cap into the I-booster and then attach the Ibooster lead back into the cap however it sounds as if I will have to dismantle the spark cap or remove the wire from the coil, connect another coil wire to it to screw into the Ibooster, then connect the Ibooster lead to the end of the OEM wire that came off the coil and is permanently attached to the spark cap?!? I appreciate your time and knowledge in this discussion.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Probably easier doing it in between the coil output and the cap if you are going that route. Not sure what the gain will be though. The Spark the coils on this platform put out seems really good and it's a short travel to the plug. Maybe six inches of wire..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your assistance! The Ibooster (formally iKat) increases spark duration. It smoothed out the idle and flame out issues I had on my old KTM 525 and made it easier to start. It works good on my new KTM as well. I wanted the smoother running benefits for my Trail Cat, I just didn't realize that it isn't going to be that easy. Never is! Thank you again for your time and knowledge in this matter. I will post my findings after I look into it and find the best solution. Paul.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The ECU update Of 2015 did a world of improvement to idle quality of the trail. Have you had that done yet? It's free from most reputable dealers

·
Registered
349 Posts
Has anyone installed non-OEM plug wires in their Trail/Sport??

I would like to see and hear the details of your wire enhancement Iommibutler.

·
Registered
349 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Do yourself a favor. Take the whole coil and plug wire assembly off in one peice and get it on the bench so you can work on it. If i were you id put the peice you are trying to add in on the coil end and not the plug end for obvious fitment reasons. The coil end should be twisted onto the terminal in the coil which is like a screw (at least is should be or id imagine it would vibrate out). Unscrew the cap on the coil and then unthread the wire. This set up is nothing fancy, just basic plug wire twisted onto a stud like cut to fit wire kits. If you want to remove the plug end i dont recommend you pull it straight out. Instead i recommend you do the exact opposite. Either remove it from the coil and push it through or at the very least leave the coil attached and push the wire through the boot until you can see what kind of end is on it. Chances are its just crimped on there but I dont know for sure cause i havent had mine out but since i have to push down on the boot pretty hard to get it to seat on the plug im going to assume there is something in the boot to prevent the wire from pushing up into the boot rather than clipping onto the plug. Better to exert a little more effort and time to get it done than try to cut corners and end up ruining a wire for no reason.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just thought I would mention that the red (plug) wire can be removed from the iBooster (capacitor) and the OEM wire can be twisted in its place. Just make sure everything is sealed up good when you install it back in the iBooster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PTL & DRock: Thanks for all of your advice! The red wire does unscrew from the iBooster. I should have had the guts to try and unscrew it anyway. Now I can unscrew the OEM wire from the coil, and simply install the ibooster as specified with the wires reversed.

Thanks for your assistance. I will upload images when the project is completed.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Based on the pic i think you may need the wire the booster comes with to screw into the coil and then the stock wire into the booster. At least thats what it looks like. Im sure you will figure it out. Curious to see what you come up with and if it helps at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
PTL & DRock: Thanks for all of your advice! The red wire does unscrew from the iBooster. I should have had the guts to try and unscrew it anyway. Now I can unscrew the OEM wire from the coil, and simply install the ibooster as specified with the wires reversed.

Thanks for your assistance. I will upload images when the project is completed.
I just talked to an electrical expert (at work). If the iBooster is in fact a capacitor then you may not be able to reverse the wires. I was thinking you could cut the OEM plug wire and twist the iBooster on the cut end of the OEM wire. Then remove the red iBooster wire and twist the OEM wire in its place.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Hes right, i do believe the orientation is specific so you cant flip it around. Without me physically looking at it i dont know what my actual options are but if that booster plug end is designed to fit onto the top of the plug then i cant see it working on the Trail unless you modify the plug cap somehow so it all fits down in the hole.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think you should be able to just remove the red wire from the iBooster...cut the OEM wire...twist the OEM wire into each end of the iBooster.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I think you should be able to just remove the red wire from the iBooster...cut the OEM wire...twist the OEM wire into each end of the iBooster.
I was thinking similar but is the other end of the ibooster a terminal to attach the wire or is it a connector for the top of the spark plug like a replacement plug boot. I cant tell from the pic online.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The video I saw showed the traditional spark plug boot/cap being removed...threading the iBooster onto the OEM wire...then threading the cap onto the red iBooster wire. Since we don't have a traditional plug cap I thought the only option was to cut the OEM wire and put the iBooster in between, with the red wire removed.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Well then its an easy install. Just unthread the oem wire from the coil and thread it onto the ibooster then the ibooster wire to the coil. Its also easily reversible that way cause you dont have to cut anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts