Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Here's my opinion FWIW

RGM designed and built the best SXS of the time and told Textron to reproduce it. Textron cut corners and ended up with the problems that they have. RGM addresses those problems with their builds and now pretty much the only issue is the weak water pump impeller that Yamaha decided to use. Now RGM is working on that issue. It is pretty much the only problem they have racing them now which sucks because Yamaha should have stepped up and fixed it right away.

All RG wants is for things to go the way he wants them to go. I know that sounds arrogant but it would be pretty easy if the people involved would just do what they said they would do. I heard people refer to him as 'Mr. Optimistic' and I would say that is pretty accurate. RG has a vision of what could be, and believes that if it is possible then it should happen. He wants the XX to succeed. His people want the XX to succeed. We all want the XX to succeed. Textron seems to be the only ones that can't put their egos aside and admit they f-ed up a good design.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Here's my opinion FWIW

RGM designed and built the best SXS of the time and told Textron to reproduce it. Textron cut corners and ended up with the problems that they have. RGM addresses those problems with their builds and now pretty much the only issue is the weak water pump impeller that Yamaha decided to use. Now RGM is working on that issue. It is pretty much the only problem they have racing them now which sucks because Yamaha should have stepped up and fixed it right away.

All RG wants is for things to go the way he wants them to go. I know that sounds arrogant but it would be pretty easy if the people involved would just do what they said they would do. I heard people refer to him as 'Mr. Optimistic' and I would say that is pretty accurate. RG has a vision of what could be, and believes that if it is possible then it should happen. He wants the XX to succeed. His people want the XX to succeed. We all want the XX to succeed. Textron seems to be the only ones that can't put their egos aside and admit they f-ed up a good design.
While I agree with your assessment, there is one additional factor you did not include...when RG does not get what he wants, he tends to fight back with lawsuits...instead of negotiating in good faith it appears. A lot of factors go into producing a vehicle...if engineers had their way all the time- vehicles would be VERY different...then the govt would step in and mess up everything anyway....as I say MANY factors. Should RG magically take over production of the XX, it would fail- I have no doubt.
Designing and building a vehicle is one thing...selling it for a profit is another...ask Elon.

As for the water pump impeller- first I heard of this...what is the issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I have heard. LOL!

Maybe the lawsuit is over the patents RG and company obtained.

You are correct sir. Good luck Robbie, your dealing with a Fortune 500 company with "on staff, full time" attorneys. Hope your pockets are deeper than Textron's. (not)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I wonder if the bass pro shop tracker / Textron deal has anything to do with this lawsuit I don’t recall seeing any RG pro on the bass pro shop tracker version or Robbie recognized on machine I don’t recall seeing anything about Robbie Gordon on the pictures that came out for the tracker version.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You are correct sir. Good luck Robbie, your dealing with a Fortune 500 company with "on staff, full time" attorneys. Hope your pockets are deeper than Textron's. (not)
Don't count Robby out because Textron has Deeper pockets. Robby has had to sue and won many big companies. He had to sue Polaris for using his name after their contract was up. Date & model year is two different things and Polaris continued to advertise & label the RZR4 and use Robby’s logo after the fact. He won and Polaris had to pay. Most in the industry know this, thus why no one is willing to build aftermarket parts for the XX. They didn’t want a letter from RG’s attorneys.

Plus a few I know who build parts had a very good premonition that the XX was not going to be a big seller. For every 20 RZR parts they sell, they might sell 1 XX. And after seeing the sales #’s it was even worse then the #’s predicted.

No company any wants to spend thousands on R&D, tooling etc.. to build a part that you might sell 10 of. Especially when you can sell hundreds or thousands of RZR & Can Am parts and have the support of the manufactures while doing it.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
This morning I spoke to a guy I know who spends a lot of time down in Baja and recently he spoke with Gordon and Romano and apparently as I mentioned in two previous post here this boils down to Robby Gordon was shut out on the deal with bass pro shop/ Tracker and apparently isn’t going to get a dime for any of those machines. Apparently Robbys original contract with Arctic cat/ Textron was a 5 year deal. If this is all true and I believe it is this explains the lawsuit

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
This morning I spoke to a guy I know who spends a lot of time down in Baja and recently he spoke with Gordon and Romano and apparently as I mentioned in two previous post here this boils down to Robby Gordon was shut out on the deal with bass pro shop/ Tracker and apparently isn’t going to get a dime for any of those machines. Apparently Robbys original contract with Arctic cat/ Textron was a 5 year deal. If this is all true and I believe it is this explains the lawsuit
They have to pay him for the use of his patented parts. No matter if they slap a different name on the machine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wonder when that 5 years started? At concept or release? Because Robby said it took two years to design and develop the XX, then the release was delayed with the sale of Arctic Cat. Now the XX has been out for two fiscal years. (3 model years)

It would be interesting what control RG has on the patents he’s partnered on after the 5 years? Can he still stop others from building parts, or does he just get a royalty after his 5 year deal is over, if not extended.

Also when you look at the patents, Robby is one of several people listed on them. I wonder how that works as to who has control of them? Could Arctic Cat over rule Robby as they might hold a larger percentage of that Patent ownership?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As for the water pump impeller- first I heard of this...what is the issue?
If you run wide open for long enough the plastic water pump impeller will get hot enough to start spinning on the shaft. Some say it cracks and some say it just comes loose. It is the reason Dakar did not go well. They were swapping impellers the whole race. Most people will never run that hard for that long but most of the racers have seen the problem. It is the main reason XX's have not done well in desert racing. More than one company has made billet impellers to solve the problem but then they break the shaft. No one has figured it out yet. I think Max was going to run the XX in the 500 but he broke an impeller on the prerun

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This is a DASA Racing billet impeller from a post on Facebook. Speed had one that looked similar and another prototype in the XX that broke. They had some other materials to try but it seems to have everyone scratching their heads.

62517392_10157398207923530_7764467127821533184_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Why can't Arctic Cat just change the axle and arms on the suspension? That seems to be RG's patent

Yeah...Why can't Arctic Cat do a lot of things right?

Here's what Arctic Cat/Textron should do...

Use big double plunging axles with the old fool proof button design and set the travel to a number that works with the axles.
Make Yamaha fix the water pump problem.
Make Team use better gears in the transmission.
Add the double shear steering rack bracket and the second steering rack bushing.
Use decent quality springs.
Fix the geometry mistake in the steering knuckles.
Hire some non-crackheads to assemble the cars correctly.
Make lots of money selling bulletproof out of the box SXS's.

Seems pretty simple to me

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
....can i go on...."they" whoever this is right now- could sell a desert model- a mud pro model- turbos, 4 seater whatever....that yamaha is also messin things up just shows me that arctic cat - as a small company- didnt make a bad job on the old x model !!!

all in all its just a shame whats goin on there...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree..it is a shame what's going on

Hard to believe that RG would have the aftermarket control on the XX. That is a sales killer right there. He may have developed the wishbone on the rear but the rest of the machine is built the same way as the others, just heavier and more solid. Arctic Cat could change the rear suspension with a new car and keep Yamaha and move on. They don't have to build a machine that will fit the RG mold. Just look at the patents on bass boat hulls. Some build the same but make it an inch wider and longer and change a line in the hull without infringement on patent.
All the machines you see on the trails or sand are alike, just small differences here and there.
I don't think Robbie Gordon has a lock on the XX or the truck series, just a few minor pieces

41 - 60 of 74 Posts