Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2017 Polaris RZR 900 EPS and ordered it with the Polaris Ride Command.. That thing is AWESOME! There are a couple things I don't like about it but for the most part, for a techie guy like me, I love it!

Started doing some research and wan to create my own Ride Command like system for my 2016 Wildcat Trail SE.. I'm going to start with testing the Diagnostic port which has both CAN High and CAN Low, also a ground and +12v.. I'm going to use a Raspberry Pi 3 board, 7" touchscreen monitor and a PiCAN Hat w/GPS. I bought the proper connector for the diag port so it will be plug-n-play.. Also going to terminate the diag end with a 120 ohm resistor (the PiCAN has this built in for it's side but had to solder in a jumper.

This will be a long running project as developing the applications needed will take some time. Why am I starting a thread for this now? in case anyone out there has any tips and suggestions of course! Decoding the CAN-BUS packets will be trial & error I suppose. Hopefully it will conform to ISO standards and use known PIDs.. but if anyone has some insight PLEASE speak up!

At the moment, I have maybe $200 invested in parts.. Not sure I will need anything else other than programming skill.

Few things I want to add:
1: Digital dashboard cluster
2: Navigation (GPS)
3: Cell phone integration
4: Music Storage (and possibly an FM radio)
5: System Settings page
6: Front Camera (maybe rear).. but the Front camera will have a record feature that the Ride Command lacks.. I am baffled why they would install a front camera that you cannot record from!

I have already been working on a Map server that will contain trail maps for most areas in the US so porting it to this project shouldn't be too difficult..

Current parts, under $200:
parts.jpg

Test rig..
new1.jpg

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That's a project, interested in how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
wish my brain cells could absorb what you listed and then remember/understand it all...love your "test rig" though!...

·
Registered
124 Posts
20170307_174901.jpg 20170307_174957.jpg 20170307_175020.jpg 20170307_175024.jpg 20170307_175030.jpg heres what i've done to my trail so far. It's a samsung tab a 7" tablet , made a custom mount for it. You probably be further ahead to start with something like this because most of the apps your looking for already exist . I like your setup though

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The ride command requires a cell signal for all of the features to work, I have been tracking the APRS/AISs systems that interface via radio signals. The price keeps coming down and will be affordable in the neer future. Lowrance and other chart plotters can communicate a variety of data via NEMA 0183/2000 networks. Engine, video, audio and real time weather can be displayed on the screen with the correct systems. The iridium sat phones offer a variety of data transfer options also. Canbus signals like you say are can hi/low they are somewhat of a standardized signal across many platforms.

Click on the green hyperlinks in my sigline for my builds/

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh hot damn, this was on my short list of mods to research !! I am really interested in how this turns out. I just started playing around with a few Raspberry Pi v3s at work, and tried a few different OSes on them to interface with a CNC Shark router and GoPiGo cars. I have a Nexus 7 tablet to work with, and so far my stumbling block has been finding trails for the areas we ride in (nothing mapped out in central PA) and obviously lack of a cell signal on the trails (using maps in offline mode for now).

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
The ride command requires a cell signal for all of the features to work, I have been tracking the APRS/AISs systems that interface via radio signals. The price keeps coming down and will be affordable in the neer future. Lowrance and other chart plotters can communicate a variety of data via NEMA 0183/2000 networks. Engine, video, audio and real time weather can be displayed on the screen with the correct systems. The iridium sat phones offer a variety of data transfer options also. Canbus signals like you say are can hi/low they are somewhat of a standardized signal across many platforms. Click on the green hyperlinks in my sigline for my builds/
say what?!...haaaaa...

Reactions: Bamacat 12

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have the Ride Command in my new RZR, no cell signal required.. They do have a cell phone app, which again doesn't require a cell signal to work.. You can install the offline maps via USB drive that are downloaded from the ride command site.

I was able to communicate with Wildcat's computer yesterday via CAN-BUS to my Raspberry Pie.. I identified all the ID's I'll need but decoding them will be a mission.. I was able to get shift lever position which was easy to figure out. There isn't a lot of things on the BUS to begin with so will be easier than decoding a Ford Truck with 3000+ sensors! lol I'd like to get DTC's data but without throwing a DTC code to decrypt, that will be difficult.. Wondering if I call Arctic Cat if they would be of any help?

I'd like to use an Android Tablet or an iPad but since I'm not 100% I can get all the info I need from the computer, don't want to spend the extra time building an app just yet. It is possible to put a Bluetooth CAN-BUS adapter on the Diagnostics port but doubt it can handle the BUS speed which is 500kbps.

Used Can-Utils cansniffer to get the ID's.. ID 100 is for the shift lever..
cansniffer.jpg

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
^ Are you able to track your friends?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What friends? :(

I haven't tried that feature yet.. That you do need a cell signal for I would think.. Once I find some friends I may have to try that out.. ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
So I am currently running the ride command app on my cell phone, it worked out in the black hills even when I had no cell service. This year I will be running it on a spare cell phone that isn't even activated. You can download the maps for an entire state when you are connected to wifi. I am curious what the full blown system you are making has that the app doesn't. Either way, cool project and I look forward to seeing the final product.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today was a little set back.. I have been chasing my tail for a few days and come to find out, I was using the wrong protocol.. ugh.. I did learn a few things that helped me arrive to this..

The EUC is not made by AC, its a "Synerject M3C Engine Control Unit" which is popular for single to twin cylinder engines.. Ducati uses it on some of their bikes.. That uses the Protocol is ISO-15765-2
Interesting find, The Speedo is a programmable "Medallion Gauge"

So now I have recompiled my linux kernel to support it and off to the garage to "tinker"..

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From reading some of the posts, some don't under stand what I am trying to do or what the Polaris Ride Command does.. I took some pictures of various screens to illustrate it better..

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And some more..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
At first thought it was some kind of an electronically adjustable suspension(which would be cool) based on the title. Not current on Polaris's features I guess... lol. Pretty respectable project that is way to advanced for me and my kind I am afraid. When I did my 7" in dash Pioneer head unit it gave me not only the stereo, but phone and Nav through Carplay, and front/rear camera(no recording) if I choose. So the only thing missing is the fancy vehicle monitor and ?. Hope you can get all the electronic wizardry figured out as I am looking forward to your progress on this, good luck!!

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on progress of ECU hacking..

Decoding the CAN BUS packets is a pain and long process.. What I have so far is: RPM, MPH, 4x4 switch, TPS and Battery Voltage..

I'll write a simple program to display the data in real time, visuals are better than text.. :) I was able to get a $10 OBDII Bluetooth adapter to work so a phone app later is not out of the realm of possibilities.. For now, I'm going to focus on the raspberry pi w/Touchscreen..

The ECU just sends live traffic on the BUS once started so I don't have to send a request and look at the response. I did scan all possible ID's and see if there was a response and found a few, I image those have to do with flashing firmware and resetting the error codes. I really don't want to mess with those so will leave them alone.. At least I know what CANId's to stay away from..

Reactions: robk769

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
^^ At one time the biff (Pace Off Road) was going to do a phone app to monitor the can. might be worth a call to save some time.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts