Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rock Lights... What are you using?

I'm thinking of adding some rock lights to my machines, but then I saw the cost of some of the kits and got a little disappointed. I don't need integration with my smartphone or music. What are you guys using and about how much did it cost?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
None they get caked with mud and are pretty useless on a muddy trail. But for rock crawling they do have a wow factor!!!!

Reactions: Hillbilly x cat

·
Registered
154 Posts
i actually do stage and concert lighting for a living and im pretty knowledgable about this kind of stuff but im also pretty practical at the same time. recently i bought a 4 piece kit off ebay that are controlled by bluetooth and they were $37. they're all the same Chinese stuff as the big companies in my opinion. i wanted to run these up high in the rear for dust and when we are stopped i can have some fun partying but i went a different route on that. so i decided that i might as well use them for actual rock lights (even though i do not rock climb)
4x Pod Mini Bluetooth RGB LED Rock Light Multi-Function For 4x4 Offroad Vehicle | eBay

i also went and bought a couple different colors of these 9watt "eagle eye" led single color LED's and made this basic housing for them. im using them as my rear lights and just patching in (2) amber as my tail lights and and decided to put a strobe module that was like $2 to a red light for my brakes. i plan on mounting it to my roof so people can see me through the dust. the eagle eye lights run about $10 for a 10 pack and some even have 2 colors per light. you have pretty much all colors to choose from. sometimes its actually nice to have a couple extra of those cause they kind of work for everything as they have a pretty wide beam and the bolt and nut style housing can go just about anywhere
IMG_0195.JPG

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is it necessary to use a relay for rock lights? I was thinking of just going direct to a 12v key on source with a inline fuse.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could get away with that. Just need to make sure the total load of your key on source is not greater than 15 amps if you use the stock accessory plugs.

BTW, I bought some $37 kit on Amazon. I was going to go with the Lux brand ones, but the reviews on these were awesome and they're like 1/3 of the price. We got to see some pics with the blue and green which is what I ordered and they looked awesome. I'll post pics when done. It will prob be a while though.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought the sunpie 6 light kit (green). I don't want the Bluetooth color changing ones. I'll only need 4 of them so I'll have two spares. The kit was only 69 bucks on Amazon. Now just trying to figure out whether I should put a relay or not.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The purpose of a relay is to switch a high current device with a low current device. E.g. Use 1 amp to switch a 15 amp device like a light bar.
In this case your lights are most likely less than 2 amps already so no need for a relay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: maverickmarc

·
Registered
298 Posts
The purpose of a relay is to switch a high current device with a low current device. E.g. Use 1 amp to switch a 15 amp device like a light bar.
In this case your lights are most likely less than 2 amps already so no need for a relay.

Quick question.... Is 18 Gauge wire good enough for rock lights? I'm thinking it should be, be want to sure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick question.... Is 18 Gauge wire good enough for rock lights? I'm thinking it should be, be want to sure.

Yeah, that will be fine. You might even be able to get away with 20ga, but I would probably just buy a big spool of 18 awg and have it for wiring up other things. BTW, here's a chart I like to use: 12 Volt Wiring Tech: Gauge to Amps | Offroaders.com. I usually would go up one wire size just to be safe, but you're no where near the limit of 18 awg so I wouldn't in this case. I think I found your lights on amazon. Kind of confusing cause one place says 9 watts, and another says 3 watts per pod. If it is 3 watts per pod and even if you do all 6 your only at 1.5 amps so you're good.

If you wires are short out of the light like mine, just make sure you seal it up well with at least heat shrink tubing so you don't have problems later.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally finished my install last week. I'm happy so far, but haven't been for a night ride yet.

I bought the ampper lights off amazon and a switch from OTRATTW.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Got a link on that lighting kit Wired?

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
I like the "Addmotor Lenix Touring Motorcycle LED Light Strip Kits Multi-Color Flexible 23 Mode 18 Colors Refit Part" My son put them on his jeep last year and they are still sticking after a hot AZ summer. All color options with a nice remote.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: RickSinGA
1 - 15 of 15 Posts