Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Grim Reapers on my Prowler for almost two years. They've been great tires, but I want to try something different on the WC if it ever comes in!!!! I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Pitbull tires. I've been reading all over the net and haven't found anything negative about them yet. I'm wondering though, which one is better overall but would really excel in the technical riding? I tend to ride mostly tight trails loaded with rocks and steep hills with all of that combined most of the time. The Growler is directional and from what I've read, they're better in soft dirt, mud and such. Any input would be nice from someone with experience with either tire.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Will Let Ya Know On Sun
Going To Go Play

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But it's only Thursday. How do you expect me to wait that long? How are you not coming down with bird flu so you can play today? Just messin. Have fun!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The Growlers are an awesome tire, they are Pit Bull's "traction tire". I have never run the Rockers, but it is hard to imagine them gripping as good as the Growlers. The Growlers are just stupid good and I can't imagine anything being better, in my opinion they at least double the capability of any machine once installed and I should know cause I am that guy that takes on stuff that everyone else just looks at and talks about.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
I like the efx moto mtc. They are like big horns on steriods. Great tire. Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Tread

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The moto tire was my first choice then I phased it out for some reason. Love the looks of it. My dealer has one of the smallers ones on a display rack and I look at it everytime I go in there

·
Registered
508 Posts
They look really heavy.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Thats my concern as well, but then again Pitbulls aren't exactly featherweights. I have also considered trying Zillas and taking a shaver to them and creating more knobbies rather than the big tread blocks they have.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Brian B. I don't want to sound stupid but I'm guessing the Rockers are for a truck and the Ubers are? What the heck is Uber? TX, I run those 28 Zillas on my 650 AC with Airdam's clutch work, you don't need to shave anything. They're pretty soft. They beat the hell out of you on the pavement but how often do you run on pavement?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Weight would be my only consern with the Pitbull tires....as far as traction goes, great!! A number of our guys run them on their RZR's ....very few flats.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Thanks Brian B. I don't want to sound stupid but I'm guessing the Rockers are for a truck and the Ubers are? What the heck is Uber? TX, I run those 28 Zillas on my 650 AC with Airdam's clutch work, you don't need to shave anything. They're pretty soft. They beat the hell out of you on the pavement but how often do you run on pavement?
I like the Zillas because they are one of the lightest tires around, but the tread pattern is heavily tilted towars mud, and I do hill climbs and rocks so thats why I was thinking carving those large lugs into smaller toothy lugs like the growler has. I wish they would construct another tread pattern more for dirt and make it light like the Zilla, I think they would sell a ton of them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I like the Zillas because they are one of the lightest tires around, but the tread pattern is heavily tilted towars mud, and I do hill climbs and rocks so thats why I was thinking carving those large lugs into smaller toothy lugs like the growler has. I wish they would construct another tread pattern more for dirt and make it light like the Zilla, I think they would sell a ton of them.
I liked the weight part as well. I was worried about the 650 lugging them around but I did the clutch at the same time and never even tested it with the factory size tires. Put it this way, my wife's 550EFI was spanking and I do mean spanking my 650 stock for stock. Even with the 28s and Motosport Alloy M12s, after the clutch was installed, it walks off and leaves the 550 from start to finish. I climb rocks all of the time with the Zillas and they haven't let me down so far. The lugs are pretty soft.

Foxfire, the weight of the Pitbulls bothers me a little bit as well. Not so much as to not try them though. I'm not going to be drag racing that much so weight doesn't bother me as much. I'm going to get the 26.5s in the Rockers.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Ubers are 8 ply and the regular Rockers are 6. I just ordered the Uber Rockers today. It was a LONG mental debate between the rockers and Growlers but, since I will be using this set primarily on the Rubicon, I decided I'd give them a try. I could care less about the weight when the goal is to creep at a snails pace. BTW - I went with the 27.5's for the slight height advantage & clearance.

The best way I can describe the difference between Rocker/Growler is that I purchased the Growlers for my Jeep over the Rockers because I wanted an all-purpose tire since I drive it in a multitude of situations - including the street. they are average on the rocks and I am not all that impressed with their durability in extreme situations, but again they handle ALL the terrain better than the Rockers would have. I just went to the garage and snapped a photo of the growlers on my Jeep. They are 38.5". Notice the chunks of rubber where the arrows are. That is from 2 trips into the Rubicon Trail. the tread wear is marginal. I'm hoping for better results on the SXS. One more thing to consider is that Pitbull tires are being poured in a different factory now. I don't know if that has affected them one way or another. Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Tread

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I liked the weight part as well. I was worried about the 650 lugging them around but I did the clutch at the same time and never even tested it with the factory size tires. Put it this way, my wife's 550EFI was spanking and I do mean spanking my 650 stock for stock. Even with the 28s and Motosport Alloy M12s, after the clutch was installed, it walks off and leaves the 550 from start to finish. I climb rocks all of the time with the Zillas and they haven't let me down so far. The lugs are pretty soft.

Foxfire, the weight of the Pitbulls bothers me a little bit as well. Not so much as to not try them though. I'm not going to be drag racing that much so weight doesn't bother me as much. I'm going to get the 26.5s in the Rockers.
Dont Go With The Little Girl Tires 26.5 Get The Big Boys 27.5 :D

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ubers are 8 ply and the regular Rockers are 6. I just ordered the Uber Rockers today. It was a LONG mental debate between the rockers and Growlers but, since I will be using this set primarily on the Rubicon, I decided I'd give them a try. I could care less about the weight when the goal is to creep at a snails pace. BTW - I went with the 27.5's for the slight height advantage & clearance.

The best way I can describe the difference between Rocker/Growler is that I purchased the Growlers for my Jeep over the Rockers because I wanted an all-purpose tire since I drive it in a multitude of situations - including the street. they are average on the rocks and I am not all that impressed with their durability in extreme situations, but again they handle ALL the terrain better than the Rockers would have. I just went to the garage and snapped a photo of the growlers on my Jeep. They are 38.5". Notice the chunks of rubber where the arrows are. That is from 2 trips into the Rubicon Trail. the tread wear is marginal. I'm hoping for better results on the SXS. One more thing to consider is that Pitbull tires are being poured in a different factory now. I don't know if that has affected them one way or another. View attachment 1042
Tires aren't poured. I realize they use molds but the rubber isn't a liquid that can be poured. It is generally a form of injection molded or laid up by hand into molds and then vulcanized under heat and pressure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It is a little unnerving that they're using a different factory to do their tires though. Usually that means they're trying to cut cost somehow.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
They don't offer the Rockers in 27.5. I don't think anyways.
They are available on Wednesday. Some places are already advertising them. I could not get a return call or email from one of the tire vendors here on the forum after weeks of trying, so I called up Jason La Liberty at 4x4groupbuy and he told me he was getting his first shipment of the bigger Pitbulls on Feb 1. If, for some reason they get pushed back, I may go with the Growlers if the outlook is extended.

I might add that Dave from Fullerton will be hooking me up with 12" paddles. That is a good dude with a wealth of knowledge on the sand subject.

Tires aren't poured. I realize they use molds but the rubber isn't a liquid that can be poured. It is generally a form of injection molded or laid up by hand into molds and then vulcanized under heat and pressure.
Well, hopefully my lack of tire vulcanizing knowledge did not detract from my point. Just trying to help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts