Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m thinking I will build my own.Try to lower the seats a bit and go for it.Might be weld on as well to get rid of all the bends.:cool:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well I'll tell you this much, with the price of cages for SXS's I'll buy my own tube bender and build my own. I can't believe the price some of the vendors are getting for a cage. I understand it is a lot of work but I can get a custom cage built for me Jeep for $1,000 so why are most of the cages for a SXS $1,500 or more? A bender is $600-1,000 and I already have a mig welder and have been eyeing a Tig welder too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you guys talkin some serious rock climbing sounds like. i think i'm gonna do a third seat conversion upper middle passenger type setup for my little ones

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
you guys talkin some serious rock climbing sounds like. i think i'm gonna do a third seat conversion upper middle passenger type setup for my little ones
im all about the back seat idea!! that way the whole family can ride!! sweet cant wait to sell it to the wife lol hope she goes for it!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I for one do not like the back seats in the rigs. I understand that people want to take their family with them but for me I just don't like the look. But I also like seeing new things and wacthing what people come up with.

·
Registered
945 Posts
To each their own.....but the machine was not designed to have a seat in the rear.....but with a very well made cage I can see the advantage of the extra seating for the family.

·
Banned
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought it from Pattons steel,don,t not recall the name.Super easy to do,just take your time.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Building a full cage on the cheap sounds like a pipe dream (pun intended). Stock cages are made of a super pricey alloy, not chromoly. Even if you go with a cheap (and heavy) mild steel tube, the cost in screwing up a couple sections with multiple bends will probably surpass an aftermarket jigged setup in the long run. Unless you have major spare coin and go with a mandrel machine, you might not even like the look of the flattened apex. It took me many trial & error efforts at fabricating my Jeep JK forward cage. I used .120 wall mild because who can afford a good TIG? In the end, I could have bought one several hundred cheaper - not including the cost of the bender (I already had a mig). Just sayin.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What stock cages are made of super pricey alloys? And what alloys are better than Chromoly? Chromoly is stronger than mild steel. Therefore you can go with a thinner wall thicknes and have a lighter cage.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
What stock cages are made of super pricey alloys? And what alloys are better than Chromoly? Chromoly is stronger than mild steel. Therefore you can go with a thinner wall thicknes and have a lighter cage.
Well, The Wildcat to answer your question. It is a low carbon blend, High Strength Low Alloy (HSLA). You can weld on it, but it is not as straight forward as a 4000 series chromoly and it has different re tempering performances. It is lighter and has a stronger yeild than 4150 CRMO but about the same tensile strength, depending on composition grade. The walls can be even thinner when used in perimter form. Mild steel is not even in the same conversation. It is just the easiest and cheapest to work with which is why people use it. For this application, it would not be a practical choice. My opinion.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the info. I agree about the mild steel. But dont you think the 4150 would be a good second choice? I have a GTAW and a MGAW.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts