Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 XX , i noticed at idle the RPM jumps from 1300-1900 , sometimes seems very smooth but most of the time it seems like it is misfiring . it does give the odd back fire pop only when at idle . The Machine runs great above 2000 rpm and doesn't miss a beat at all , also after a good run once you shut it off for a few minutes and go to restart it takes two or three attempts to restart ... i am assuming this is not normal ... it only had 150 km on it when i bought it , i have put another 300 km on in the last couple weeks and still acting the same way .
i had drained all the old gas out and put in the 91 octane gas in case there was an issue with that , still acting the same way. Im thinking of replacing the plugs and possibly doing and injector flush in case they are gummed up from sitting ??
just wanted to see if anyone is experiencing the same issues

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've never ran into this on my 18.

Reactions: SteveB

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hard hot starts and rough idle is usually a sign the valves are tight, have you done a valve clearance check?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Change the plugs. I had the same issue with a leftover 18. Unit had 2 hours and 1 year old fuel. Started devolping a backfire that progressively got worse the warmer it got. Drained fuel and added a fuel additive. Unit ran but still had a random miss. i pulled the plugs and inspected, looked brand new. Checked compresion just to verify nothing mechanically went wrong and verified fuel pressure. Decided to just change the plugs, Problem gone. No issues in the last couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Gap the plugs down to .020" when you change them. Mine starts way faster and runs way better set up like this. They are over .030" from factory and it seems to be a bit to much.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Gap the plugs down to .020" when you change them. Mine starts way faster and runs way better set up like this. They are over .030" from factory and it seems to be a bit to much.
My knee-jerk response was that I don't like compromising spark to band-aid a problem, but after thinking about it for a few seconds, with a CVT there isn't nearly as much concern about low RPM torque.

From my turbo Miata experience, some of the Toyota coil-on-plug units make a very, very strong spark for next to nothing if you are willing to run junkyard COPs. I will try to remember to see if they would physically fit the Yammy motor next time I have access.

Reactions: SteveB

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is very common on these engines. We have to gap the turbo sled down as well to eliminate spark issues on high tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Gapping down to deal with boost is pretty common with the high combustion chamber pressures.

That said, those Toyota cops I mentioned allowed a .035" plug gap on a turbo 1.8l making about 285 hp with 14 psi of boost. They are stout coils.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts