Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have said this before but just thought I would say it again. I don't own a SXS YET and am undecided between the Wildcat and RZR XP900. So I also hangout over on the RZR forum. I have been reading all the hoopla and crazy stuff people have been talking over there. I also got drawn into a thread and got a little too envolved.

So anyhow I thought I would post some of the stuff they are saying about the Wildcat. It sure is funny to see what people will do and say to defend their choice no matter what.

I did the Wildcat demo ride this past weekend @ Windrock Fall Jamboree OHV in Oliver Springs, TN. Simply put this is a great machine with ONE big expection... Rock & Mud don't mix well collectively 3 units were rolled over the dealer /customer rides durning the event that we knew about. The lack of front fender wells WAS A BIG PROBLEM beyond everybodies comfort zone.
heres my opinion.... if all you do is sand dunes... get a sand car...

but if you wanna run the trails,sand , water...get an xp!!!

some times setting lower, and longer wheel base don't work so good

it looks like it has great potential.....but about useless on the east coast, the xp is about the absolute limit in size for utv's

other issue is its a arctic cat, ......if youve owned one or worked on them you know what i mean by that...electrical issues.....junk body work....the electrical issue is more of the length of leads and wires pull out of connectors

if yamaha made something at the level of the xp....polaris and arctic cat wouldnt sell any wildcats or rzrs, neither brand is on the level of the japanese for quality yet...but ill take polaris problems and dealers over arctic cat problems and there terrible dealers and dealer network

This is just a few but you all get the idea. And when people have talked about the price they say it is $18,000 or more.

·
Registered
285 Posts
We'll see. So far the roll out isn't without PR and possible mechanic production issues.

Driving terrain dimmension issues make some sense but they've been making those complaints for each new and wider Polaris released. Th AC sits lower and has good ground clearance but longer wheelbases will bite you at some point. Heck even the Rzr4 has that issue. It all comes down to what you want to do with it.

The XP's original claim as the only full sport SxS may be displaced as a very good sport-like SxS. :)

That forum is run by the same folks that run this forum.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
i think to each their own! i am going to be at the dealer ride in oklahoma. and after i ride one i will gladly make my opinion heard and my decision to buy or not. plain and simple people want change so bad but yet most people are scared of change. i am a a cat and yamaha dealer and have no problem saying the xp are bad a$$ . however things change and it cant be at the top forever . i mean look at the rhino !!!!!!!! im open to finding out myself wich one i like better. and i would hope someone opinion doesnt count as gold to everyone. a cat is putting these units through hell basically before anyone gets there own. there is a reason for that its called to help with" quality control". im pretty sure first of all if this thing is what ive been hearing about it it is gonna be a game changer for all in the sport side by side class. im pumped cant wait to get some on the floor !!!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Every time a new machine come along people will tear it to shreds in every way possible before ever physically touching it. They will make excuses as to why what they have is better in their own mind. The same folks knocked the RZR 4 when it came out "Oh its too long, wont be able to go down trails" blah blah blah and that all turned out to be noise. Then the XP 900 comes and they all jump on it "too wide won't be able to go down trails, won't be good in rocks with those trailing arms" blah blah blah and that was all noise too. In both cases they were wrong and the RZR4 and the XP 900 turned out to be great at everything they said they would suck at.

The sad fact is that people tend to bash new stuff in order to defend their current purchase to make themselves feel better. Nobody wants to think they made a bad decision or got stuck with an inferior product in any way shape or form. It doesn't matter that the only "fault" was timing, not knowing the new gadget was coming out. Not saying the XP 900 or the RZR4 are inferior to the Wildcat, its just self defense in general that causes it. Already owning the brand does not matter either, Polaris owners will jump on other Polaris owners talking down the latest greatest, its called denial and eventually it turns into acceptance that they no longer have THE ultimate whatever it is or that there is actually something else that might be better in some ways.

It is pure human nature, just ignore it.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Every time a new machine come along people will tear it to shreds in every way possible before ever physically touching it. They will make excuses as to why what they have is better in their own mind. The same folks knocked the RZR 4 when it came out "Oh its too long, wont be able to go down trails" blah blah blah and that all turned out to be noise. Then the XP 900 comes and they all jump on it "too wide won't be able to go down trails, won't be good in rocks with those trailing arms" blah blah blah and that was all noise too. In both cases they were wrong and the RZR4 and the XP 900 turned out to be great at everything they said they would suck at.

The sad fact is that people tend to bash new stuff in order to defend their current purchase to make themselves feel better. Nobody wants to think they made a bad decision or got stuck with an inferior product in any way shape or form. It doesn't matter that the only "fault" was timing, not knowing the new gadget was coming out. Not saying the XP 900 or the RZR4 are inferior to the Wildcat, its just self defense in general that causes it. Already owning the brand does not matter either, Polaris owners will jump on other Polaris owners talking down the latest greatest, its called denial and eventually it turns into acceptance that they no longer have THE ultimate whatever it is or that there is actually something else that might be better in some ways.

It is pure human nature, just ignore it.

:cool:
verry well said !!! yea buddy!!!!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I started this thread more as a fun thing than anything else. I was hoping people would post up the things they have heard or read that others are saying. I agree with everything others have said so far here. So if you find a funny or totally off the wall rumor please post it up so we ca all laugh at it. I am not doing this to try and get anyone angry at other forums. So let's all enjoy ourselves and have a little fun!!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I like this quote here, I found it interesting that the claim was the Wildcat has a 100" wheelbase making it 13.5" longer wheelbase than an XP. Well, this means that the guy commenting seemingly does not know the wheelbase of either of them, because the Wildcat is 95" and the XP is 81.4 (close enough to the 13.5" difference, he got that part right somehow) but he must believe that all 4 of the XP's he owns are 86.5" wheelbase.

wish wild cat would let me do a comparison to a stock xp...
I know a wild cat has a better ride out of the box... it has a 13.5 longer wheel base.....and better shocks..

whenn you start pushing 100 " wheel base you are jumping in to the sand rail catagory.... you will get your asz handed to you try'n to compete with a
turboed subaru JP designs sand car...
Followed by:

heres my opinion.... if all you do is sand dunes... get a sand car...

but if you wanna run the trails,sand , water...get an xp!!!

some times setting lower, and longer wheel base don't work so good
This info is easy enough to find, so why throw out just flat wrong info? LOL I guess it makes the case for "harder to turn" or "will bottom out on crests everywhere" or whatever is trying to be "proven". :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well I own a XP & can tell you I hope the Wildcat rips, but part of kings quote from above I do agree with, if all you do is sand dunes get a sand car! If I still lived in Yuma I'd have a long travel rail for sure, but I don't so I have a XP! I wanted to look at the wildcat, but in July there was no clue on release or even if this machine was worth a damn so I bought a XP I'm perfectly happy with my decision!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The last thing in the world a Polaris guy should bash another machine over is electrical issues! Are you kidding me?! They wrote the book on chafed harnesses, bad pin connections, etc., etc., etc. Oh brother!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Squirly,
None of this is an attack on anyone. I like the Xp and I almost bought one 2 months ago. But then I started reading more about the Wildcat and said I would wait to see what it was all about. Right now all I do is dunes. But that is only twice a year. My wife and I both own sport quads and they don't work worth a darn on the trails we have in Washington. So the only time they are ridden is when we go to Florence, OR. I have a bad leg and want to get a SXS becasue of that. The one BIG reason I don't want a sand rail is becasue I want the 4WD option. And that is what makes the Wildcat work for me. Also in Washington we don't have any QUAD trails. We have single track or Jeep trails as they are called. So the size of the Wildcat isn't an issue again.

What TX is talking about is Kings misqoute of the size. So far the Wildcat has had a 90"-95" & now a 100" wheelbase. At 95" it is the same as a Jeep Wrangler or CJ-7. So I know for a fact I can get it thru some pretty tight trails. So go back to what this thread was suppose to be about. Poking funnies at the misprints and misconceptions of the Wildcat. Doesn't matter what crowd is making these mistakes let's all just laugh a little about them.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I ride tight trails and I know the Wildcat will NOT be a problem. Some of my buds run Jeeps down the same trails, one of them even has 3/4 ton Chevy axles under his CJ5 and with the ridiculous offset rims and wide swampers he is at least 92 inches wide, maybe more. I have yet to see a trail he cannot go down that a SxS can go down. If need be he runs over small trees, I have even ridden with him where he just turned into super thick trees that a dirt bike could not go through and just mowed them down for about 75 feet making a new trail to another trail. No SxS would have been able to do this. Normally him and my other bud with a Jeep dont run over trees, just an example, but they can go down the same trails they just go slower to do it because obviously they are not as nimble.

Here is the wide Jeep I am talking about, we were all on 4-wheelers this day except him and he followed us EVERYWHERE we went, even on "tight" trails through the woods. Yes of course you could run off and leave him on a tight trail, but he could go down it just as good at a "normal" pace.

The RZR4 has already proven longer and wider is fine on trails, it is every bit as capable as the rest of the RZR family on trails. In many if not most situations a longer wheelbase is better, this is why a RZR can go more places than a 4-wheeler (besides not having to worry about rolling or flipping because of the cage). The Wildcat will be no different.

I will 100% trail ride and rock climb the Wildcat and i am betting it will be the best at it, I plan to slap 30" dominators on it to get 15" of ground clearance and that suspension will be awesome in the rocks and up hills full of rocks and ruts. It will allow it to articulate and keep good contact where others will not.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good post Wildman......over on our forum there is sooooooo much brand bashing....I just sit back and laugh, which is just what I did while reading the quotes you provided.....thanks for the great laugh's!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
One more quick word about rockcrawling the Wildcat (and XP).

The #1 problem for the XP when rockcrawling and going up ledges and other obstacles is the trailing arms. On the XP the arms are much shorter than on the Wildcat, and as a result are forced to steeply head down toward the hub so they can have any real chance of providing travel. When you try to climb a ledge, the arms on the XP hit before the rear tires can and this is a real problem, it can violently whip the XP to one side. You can cure this on the XP by spending another $700 or so and buying high clearance trailing arms, but with the Wildcat I think the larger 30" tires will all but eliminate this problem as nearly all of the Wildcat arm that is below the belly will be covered by tire. Plus the Wildcat has plenty of clearance for larger tires right out the box, no need to cut anything or get a lift or jack the spring rates or anything. The stock tires on the Wildcat are not far from the shock mount as it is (the biggest hang point) and I think 30" tires may get there and eliminate most of the problem. If anything very little trailing arm will be left to "drag" on things. Clutching will happen if (more like when, larger tires always kill power) the larger tire cause too much power loss to the ground.

Anyway, food for thought.

Oh, and forget the Commander altogether for rockcrawling or even difficult trails, it is a no-go. No travel and too much weight. The Commander is for easy trails, difficult obstacles I like to tackle are not possible in a Commander. Without a running start a Commander cannot get over hardly anything.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
TX.............Well said and exactly my thoughts too. I want to have 2 sets of tires for the Wildcat. Some 27" Pit Bull Growlers for the woods and then some paddles for the rear for the dunes.

Here is my Jeep.

I'm runnning 38X12.50 TSL Super Swamper SX tires. But I kept mine narrow to fit the trails up here. I am only 75" wide and am running a HP44 front axle that I narrowed & an HP60 rear.

Yes I ruled out the Commander after a short bit of research and watching a few YouTube videos and I knew it was a pile.

Foxfore,
Life is too short to take it serious all the time. I love reading a the crap people are talking and some of it is totally BS. But hey if you can't laugh about it???? I don't hate any brand and think each rig has a purpose. I like a rig that stands out and to me the Wildcat does that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree with all of you on this. I am not brand specific at all. I cant believe te electrical comment. I have never even read a single complaint about wiring on the prowlers other than batterys and bigger charging systems. You gotta laugh.

·
Registered
412 Posts
One more quick word about rockcrawling the Wildcat (and XP).

Oh, and forget the Commander altogether for rockcrawling or even difficult trails, it is a no-go. No travel and too much weight. The Commander is for easy trails, difficult obstacles I like to tackle are not possible in a Commander. Without a running start a Commander cannot get over hardly anything.
The real problem with the Commander is the ViscoLock front differential. Its dangerous, you don't know if its locked or not and getting it to lock requires spinning tires and despite what CanAm says it can take more than a 1/2 turn. Its an offroad disaster.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
RedMan: Yeah I didn't bother to go into the ViscoLock, it goes without saying that it is a deal breaker for sure for anyone that is serious about offroading. Some are replacing it for the QE but thats more cost and effort out the box and still does not net you a real locker out the box nor does it alleviate the other deficiencies of the vehicle. I want my diff locked when *I* want it locked, not any sort of clutch pack slipper system like a positraction GM style I want solid like a detroit locker. The Polaris is the best of the auto systems easily otherwise.

WildMan: I absolutely love the Growlers, IMO they are the best traction tire period out there right now. I have them now and the grip is crazy, all my friends like to send me through stuff first because if if I cannot get enough traction to climb or I get stuck then nobody else will have any chance of getting through either because their tires cannot compete. When the actual vehicle shows up and I am able to get real measurements if Growlers will cover the gap I described above then I will go with them in a heartbeat. I wish they would make larger sizes (Helloooooo, Pitbull?????) because it looks to me that the gap I want covered is more than 3/4" away, this is why I am left with likely replacing the stockers for Dominators. We will see. As for width like your Jeep, others will say "Wow 75" holy crap that could never go down trails that a SxS goes down" but that is absolutely untrue, I have seen it over and over. The entire width argument is so overblown, in the real world it isn't like you are scraping through with a half inch on each side like some sort of endless canyon walls on each side, most trails are WAY wider than 6 or 7 or even 8 feet. How many times have you been on a 4-wheeler and there wasn't room for another 4-wheeler to go around you? That makes it at least 100" wide LOL. If you are not dealing with those 50" gates on your trails then ALWAYS get the widest vehicle you can for ultimate stability in off camber situations IMO and do not worry about trail width it is a non-issue 99.9% of the time or greater.

There are a lot of things about the Wildcat that have finally come together in one vehicle that I have been wanting for a long time and that is why I will have one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
WildMan, I hear you for sure! I see both side poking at each other, I really just want to ride any where in or on anything! I've got a rockcrawler, dirt bike, snowmobile, rzr & a Cherokee for hunting! Just like being outside having fun!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with Squirly, there is too much bashing on other sites. It's all about having fun, who cares what you ride, we're all off roaders,can't we all get along?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is kinda the point. It is the same with Motorcycles-I could careless what you ride. Because it is all about the RIDE not how you got there. So post up the funny stuff you find on other sites so we can all get a laugh out of it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts