Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the Forum and fairly new to working on the wildcat. I am a seasoned Automotive technician so I am definitely comfortable with a wrench.

Long story short the 2014 x limited is running on one cylinder. Front exhaust hot rear cold. Used spark tester over wires and No spark at the rear cylinder. (Ordered coils and had dinner with the family) The next morning pulled it apart and swapped coil from front to rear and still no spark at the rear cylinder. (oops I should not have ordered coils) removed plugs and coils and ohm tested the coils as per repair manual and coils are within specs. Put everything back together started and now it wont even start. Occasionally I get a fire and she puts for a second and dies. Now I have trouble code P0336 (google says crank sensor). I am not sold on the google crank sensor diag. It has always been my practice to keep it simple and make sure ignition parts are good before going deep into a rabbit hole of diag. (some old guy told me that 26 years ago) I pulled my plugs and replaced with new CPR8E .The old ones have 40 hours on them but are probably 4 years old (I don't use this thing very often). I inspected the boots and found that the clip in one of the boots is partially broken so I ordered new ignition boots but ironically this is the front cylinder which is actually getting spark.

After I installed the new plugs and cleaned my grounds (just in case that old guy from 26 years ago was correct I am pretty sure he mentioned grounds too) and put it back together. She fired right up and is purring like angry mountain lion. Throttle response is pretty snappy and no more P0336 code. I still have some cleaning to do before I put it back together, but it appears either the ground or the plugs repaired my issue.(Damn old guys get smarter the longer you know them) Not sure if anyone else has encountered a similar issue so I thought I would share.

Once she is clean and back together I will give her a shake down and let you know for sure this is not a gremlin that just decided to play nice. I plan on putting the seat back in and running her naked around the property a bit on the old coils to verify the gremlin theory isn't actually true. On the bright side If I had actually removed half my panels to do an ohms test before I ordered coils I would not have shinny new coils and the cool Dyna sticker. I will put those in when they get here and keep the old ones as test coils. It would be nice to know if anyone else has encountered the P0336 code, a dead cylinder and resolved it with plugs. (The old guy passed away last year so I can't prove him wrong, but I am pretty sure he taught me not to count out gremlins either so I will keep you posted).

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
great first post...i would have just winched it up on my trailer and taken it to my dealer...haaaaa...welcome to the forum...be safe out there...

·
Registered
131 Posts
dyna coils did work on my x at all had to use oem. my miss was coil wires

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I found out the hard way. The Dyna coils will not work. Shortly after I installed I got a P2304 high resistance primary coil front cylinder and no fire from front coil. Swapped front to rear same thing. P2304 no fire front coil. One factory coil one Dyna runs fine both Dyna I drop a cylinder and get a code. Factory coil .7 ohms, Dyna .5. ohms. It turns out the ECM parameters are tight enough to trigger a code and drop the cylinder. I have to dig a little further to completely understand exactly what is happening to be able to explain with more detail. Spoke with tech support at Dyna the
DCK 10-9 kit was engineered for 2012 wildcat 1000. So as per Dynatek no other years were listed as an appropriate fitment. I can only assume the ECM or ignition module Is different from 2012 to 2014. I put my old coils back on No Issues. The engineer who designed this kit for 2012 x no longer works for Dynatek, so I did not get any further information from tech support. I could only verify that my non functional coils are infact good, but not for my machine. Now I want to verify the difference in ECM and ignition parameters between 2012 and 2014. ...... dropping $200 for good parts that don't work doesn't sit well. The technician in me needs answers. I never liked it when my Dad would say "because I said so". Some things never change.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought mine from Dennis Kirk and they gave me a full refund. there coils are not made to run with our system. I dont know why no one make a coil that works. I found I had a bad coil wire.maybe call arctic cat tec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts