Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Hooking up this kit and I'm at (for me) step 14 - "Locate the wires where they enter the rear tail light connector"

The problem is - I have two red wires and one black - Red/white and a Red/blue.

I found another post mentioning it never says what to do with the black wire that the kit comes with.

So, questions:

1) Any for sure bets on which wire is the correct "red" wire?
2) What to do with the black/passenger wire?

I emailed and called Roy (ryco) and he hasn't responded nor answers his phone - I got that goin' for me which is nice.

thanks for any help.

WP_20150406_21_03_23_Pro.jpg WP_20150406_21_07_24_Pro.jpg

·
Administrator
27,697 Posts
Welcome GoonCommando. I think there is a thread somewhere on this issue, but I'm on my phone, and it sucks to search. Hopefully the members will answer you. Stop by the new members area and put up a thread so members can meet you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wiring diagram shows RED/BLU going to the brake light switch.

Reactions: GoonCommando

·
Registered
307 Posts
Te red/blue is always going to be power on your trail. Im guessing the wh/red Is the ground that makes the circuit when the brake pedal is depressed.a
alex

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
not trying to be a smartass but id go with the one that has the most red on it (red/blue)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Use a test light and check for power when stepping on the brakes.

Reactions: GoonCommando

·
Registered
17 Posts
Without actually testing but having done lots of wiring I would say red white is tail light power and red\blue is brake power. This is afe standard. You will want red/blue powers the bright side.

·
Registered
146 Posts
according to wiring standard and looking at that picture there is only one red wire....red/blue. then you have a white/red. wire color goes by primary color not the stripe color.

example white/red means white wire-red stripe, red/white means red wire-white stripe...make sense? You have a white wire and red wire.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't worry about it Ive asked cr724 to add it to the sticky.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help. I'll try connecting the red screw on wire to the red/blue wire tomorrow.

Any ideas on the passenger side? The kit has a red wire (drivers side) and a black wire (assuming it's for the passenger) for this step. Would I just plug it into the red/blue for passenger? Seems logical.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Black will always be ground in a 12v dc system. Never connect black to a red.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got it sorted out thanks to all your replies.

The rear wiring runs along the drivers side, down the back to the passenger side light.
1) I did my splicing for the rear just under the drivers side tail light for both the red screw connector and black (passenger) screw connector
2) take the driver side tail light out (3 screws - 10mm) this gives you room to maneuver the wiring harness(es)
3) red screw connector to red/blue wire on driver side
4) black screw connector to red/blue going toward the passenger side
5) also in the larger loom, you can find the white/red & black wires - use the clamp inline splicers here as well - these as your license plate LED.

As far as the next steps in the directions:
No idea what he talks about running anything along the passenger side - no wiring runs along the passenger side. I ran the wires with the existing harness that enters behind the drivers seat.
You can choose to remove all the center piece plastics or what I did - run it on the bottom of the frame where the door is, no need to remove anything.

If it weren't for the terrible directions, i'd give the kit a 10/10 - the connectors are quality, they have a rubber seal on each connector, and they are large and easy to connect.

Since Ryco still won't answer my emails and phone calls after poor directions - I'd rate it a 8/10, but now you have the right directions, so cheers to that mates.

WP_20150408_18_26_33_Pro.jpg WP_20150408_18_26_40_Pro.jpg WP_20150408_20_15_56_Pro.jpg WP_20150408_20_16_04_Pro.jpg WP_20150408_21_52_38_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well this thread just saved me some head scratching. I had nothing at the passenger tail light but now I see why. The black connector..... Also the front turn signals suppose to always be on when the key is on?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Dean got his working but unsure if he bought a kit or just used a switch that controls each side with intermittent blinks..

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Dean got his working but unsure if he bought a kit or just used a switch that controls each side with intermittent blinks..
purchased the tusk wiring harness from rocky mtn atv/mc made for the trail (not showing online but available)...not the whole kit as i already had a horn/tag bracket with l.e.d. illuminated bolts/mirrors/etc...i purchased the tusk l.e.d. mini flush mount turn signals (didn't care for the round ones in kits), l.e.d. flasher relay and water resistant turn signal toggle switch for the dash...so far so good...will be trying everything out in 4 days in moab...utah requires more stuff than arizona where the trail is titled/registered/tagged/insured...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts