Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this last weekend a group of us rode together at Dove Springs. Three of us had bolts fall out of our radius rods causing the axle to come out or break. In the process of the lower radius rod and axle coming out, the upper radius rod got bent, the inside of the wheel got damaged and bumper took some good damage as well. I am taking my car in and requesting warranty. I would like to hear from everyone else that has had the same problem. Also if you did have this problem did you get warranty? Or try to get it warrantied?

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
When was the last time you checked them? A bolt backing out would probably fall under owner maintenance, and not be warrantied. Good luck, hope they do. Let us know.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had the same issue with mine but I was running aftermarket Assault bars, I always make sure and check them after every ride now. It is cheaper to tighten a nut than to buy an axle!

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can always drill and pin the nuts, or drill the nut and run a safety wire from it to a secure location preventing it from backing off...track sport bikers go crazzy with this stuff but its for a critical reason. I've done it to my oil filter, Hose clamp, drilled a hole in the screw part, drilled a hole through a motor case tab then ran a wire between the two so no way it can back off...Just stuff you gotta do

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I got a warranty repair for the bolt on the trailing arm breaking, but I had the broken bolt to prove it. This radius rod nuts come loose all too often. I too am doing a pre-trip torque fest on all the suspension bolts. This last trip about 1/2 were looser than spec, but at least none were hand tight like I found one previously. None of the bolts that I put blue locktite on were loose. I know red would be better, but I want to be able to remove without having to put a torch on them.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
That's a bummer, but I agree...take a few minutes to check every fastener you can get your hands on, every trip, and also between rides when you've got some downtime. Recently, I was convinced my Cat was ready for the next trip and would have just loaded it into the Toy Hauler and gone at a moments notice. Fortunately, I decided to tear it apart to do some upgrades and was surprised at several fasteners I found loose, including an upper a-arm nut that was just about to fall off and I'm sure the bolt wouldn't have been far behind!

We put these things through a work out and drive them fast/hard under some pretty extreme conditions and terrain...you gotta expect some maintenance and breakages. Our group jokes about how that's what makes each trip memorable!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Me N Zman were talking at Jawbone. I think a small drill hole after the nut would be the answer. Then just some wire or a small cotter pin. There's no stress on it as that is sheer on the bolt. I'll be using red Loctite from now on. Don't think a torch would be needed as the surface area of threads is pretty small. And of course as has been said, checking the nutz and bolts might be a, ahem, nice idea.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I've never had a problem with my radius rods coming loose, guess I will check them when I get home.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
......and something else. I have Assaults. I wasn't aware of any torque value. Just slathered on some blue and cranked em down. I think this whole episode was my responsibility, but I WILL, fix the issue and check them more often. Starting with new nutz every time I take off a rod.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What's a radius rod ? And not to sound like a complete jack ass but I have done nothing but add gas and change the oil .

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
And that's why nothing happens to your car. I would recommend, however, that you take a little time with your ratchet and wrench and go over the car and tighten everything you can get your tools on!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's a radius rod ? And not to sound like a complete jack ass but I have done nothing but add gas and change the oil .
The three rods on your rear suspension that look all the same. Two upper and one lower. They hold the hub straight when your suspension moves up and down.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
My new axle and axle rebuild kit are on the way. In plenty of time to make the Oregon trip. Just gotta fire up the drill press!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So this last weekend a group of us rode together at Dove Springs. Three of us had bolts fall out of our radius rods causing the axle to come out or break. In the process of the lower radius rod and axle coming out, the upper radius rod got bent, the inside of the wheel got damaged and bumper took some good damage as well. I am taking my car in and requesting warranty. I would like to hear from everyone else that has had the same problem. Also if you did have this problem did you get warranty? Or try to get it warrantied?
I've never checked them. My cat has around 70 hours on it with a few hours of that being pretty aggressive driving. I have been riding dirt bikes and driving off-road For a long time and never had a suspension bolt just fall out. If I had broke it I would feel different. I have never jumped it. Never done anything extreme. The worst thing I do is haul butt through the whoops and drive fast across the desert. 3 people having the same issue? Sounds a bit suspect to me. Either not installed properly, or faulty locking feature on the nut.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
^^^^^ Well for me, there's the rub. I assume the nut came off and the bolt worked it's way out. It's still out there somewhere on the trail to Jawbone Canyon. I speaking only from conjecture and opinion. If the bolt broke, I don't think the nut end could work its way out on the front side of the lower RR. I don't think there's enuff room to get past the hub/axle assembly. I'll do what I 'think' is the correct solution, and only time will tell. If I have time B4 the next trip, I would really like to drill the bolts. Would have been a nice time to have a suspension cam down there!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
......and something else. I have Assaults. I wasn't aware of any torque value. Just slathered on some blue and cranked em down. I think this whole episode was my responsibility, but I WILL, fix the issue and check them more often. Starting with new nutz every time I take off a rod.
^^^^^ Well for me, there's the rub. I assume the nut came off and the bolt worked it's way out. It's still out there somewhere on the trail to Jawbone Canyon. I speaking only from conjecture and opinion. If the bolt broke, I don't think the nut end could work its way out on the front side of the lower RR. I don't think there's enuff room to get past the hub/axle assembly. I'll do what I 'think' is the correct solution, and only time will tell. If I have time B4 the next trip, I would really like to drill the bolts. Would have been a nice time to have a suspension cam down there!
The fact that you use blue locktite on it leads me to believe it broke. I say that because blue might let the nut come loose enough that the bolt bangs around in the hole and have a shear fatigue failure, but it seldom lets the nut fall free off the bolt. Blue on my stuff will not allow me to remove the nut with my fingers even after it is broken loose and backed 1/2 off the bolt. There is usually enough residual blue in the threads to need to use tools and light pressure to remove. The way these cars bounce around, if there was enough room to get the nut in there, there is enough room for it to bounce out, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
^^^ All good points. This may become the Black Hole of SXS's. We will never know what's in there!

·
Registered
242 Posts
one thing to concider with loose nuts / bolts, if you find a loose one the fix is not to just tighten it, you will need to remove it, clean off old lock tight and re-apply and then tighten ot torque.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts