Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I debated for a long time weather or not to post this but i have just had enough. Bought a 2018 wildcat sport used but with only 6 hours on it from a local dealer. I have it 3 weeks and put 18 more hours on it and it started clapping pretty bad. After some research i sadly found it was coming from the motor. After 3 months of back and forth with arctic cat and my local dealer I ended up just pulling the motor myself and breaking it all down. Pain is the a** to say the least lol. What I ended up finding is that the thrust for the crank on these motors is actually set off of two cast pads in the middle journal of the crank ( I鈥檒l post pics of all this ) and if damaged is not adjustable and you have to replace the whole case (3400$). Basically the crank was sliding back and forth laterally in the cases because somehow it damaged that thrust pad. Still not sure how or what did it, most likely a factory error. So I welded the pad, then hand filed and polished it for about 5 hours to get the pad back to a .05 spec. Altogether that was about a 4 month process. Put the motor back in and ride a couple hours then pull over on a trail to check everything out. For some reason I touched the right rear shock reservoir and the sucker is boiling 馃サ. The way textron designed the exhaust it points directly on the reservoir! Super bad design. So I pull the spark arrestor so it kind of points straight and not right on the reservoir. Ride for a couple more hours and check it out again. It melted the plastic just under the tail light lol 馃槀. Get that all worked out 馃挭. Go out again, find a nice hill to mess around with the 4wd. Put it in 4wd and it was shaking like a fat girl at a dance party lol 馃槅! Think maybe the carrier baring is having some issues I haven鈥檛 dug into yet because I鈥檓 just frustrated. I鈥檝e seen great wildcat sports and XX don鈥檛 get me wrong. Still yet to see a lemon can am lol. My option, spend a little more and save your self the stress lol.

Registered
Coming from a Can Am SxS, I can tell you they are no better. It all boils down to the dealer, The way Textron is treating the paid franchised dealers it's not going to last long. News Flash: Textron don't care. They will sell to Tracker and let them deal with the public and take care of the Mill$ govt contracts.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I got to point were I realized they weren鈥檛 going to do a damn thing. I don鈥檛 really have any issues with the wildcat sport if I didn鈥檛 have to work on it every single ride. It鈥檚 a really fun ride. Maybe I just got a bad one I dont know but compounded by arctic cat and textron horrible customer service it鈥檚 the last one I buy for sure. I just figured if this info helps someone make their next purchase then why not learn from my mistakes lol. You spend 15-20 grand you expect to not be ripping the motor apart in 18 hours lol. Good luck to all 馃憤

Registered
Agreed,

My 12 had the faulty casting crank case leek, A re-seal was directed by AC. It also leaked. The local dealer called AC again who said a new engine is being shipped, the local dealer dispatched a driver and trailer to pick up my machine (I'm 100 miles from the dealership). That is what I call good service!.

He saw the writings on the wall and sold his dealership prior to Textron's takeover.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ya unfortunately I didn鈥檛 do enough research before my purchase. However that being said I bought it, and I plan on making it the nastiest one out there! I have a F1000 2 stroke motor coming for it. I鈥檓 gonna send this motor to the f** moon kind of as a go f yourself to textron then fully build it right, with a 1000cc 2 stroke motor lol 馃槀. I鈥檓 gonna post the whole build and what it cost so everyone out there can do the same. I鈥檝e just had it lol 馃槅.

Premium Member
Interesting, you have great mechanical skill.

Registered
Sorry you had such bad luck, I had good luck with a 14 Trail & now my 18 Sport (other than replacing rear springs) has been bullet proof, certainly better than the bombardier purchased new, I got rid of at 3yrs old. Not sure I can even remember all the issues I had with that POS but I know it was 16 issues under warranty, which cost $50 per issue, then the frame broke which Bomb would supply a new one if I paid dealer replacement labour...$2,200 quote from dealer. So I'm in same boat, I will NEVER buy another Bombardier anything, you would think I'd have learned after having couple POS snowmobiles too :rolleyes:

Premium Member
Every brand has problems, sometimes you just have to work through them to get the machine you want. Having a dealer that will go to bat for you is more than half the battle. My three Arctic Cat s were fairly problem free. my can am x3 has so much lash in the transmission that it 鈥渃lacks鈥 all the time they say (can am ) says that鈥檚 normal. I鈥檝e heard some with a little but none like mine. waiting for it to break so I can fix it. Dealer keeps trying for me though.

Reactions: izom

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I do agree the dealer is a huge part of the battle when it comes to it. I wanted to make it aware that even if you do not have a warranty there is something out there called a 鈥 good will鈥 policy. If you have a factory flaw and that can be proved then the dealer usually makes it right under that policy. However arctic cat one of the few I have encountered were they talk you in circles until eventually you just give up. No care, no time, and no more of my money lol 馃槀. All things have issues we all know that 100%. It鈥檚 up to us to modify, and think of ways to make things better and faster but usually stay loyal to those who stay loyal to us. After all these rigs are far from cheap. So for that f*** arctic cat and textron as a brand. The sport doesn鈥檛 deserve a bashing really, it鈥檚 a fun ride. Im just gonna make even better lol 馃槅.

Registered
I debated for a long time weather or not to post this but i have just had enough. Bought a 2018 wildcat sport used but with only 6 hours on it from a local dealer. I have it 3 weeks and put 18 more hours on it and it started clapping pretty bad. After some research i sadly found it was coming from the motor. After 3 months of back and forth with arctic cat and my local dealer I ended up just pulling the motor myself and breaking it all down. Pain is the a** to say the least lol. What I ended up finding is that the thrust for the crank on these motors is actually set off of two cast pads in the middle journal of the crank ( I鈥檒l post pics of all this ) and if damaged is not adjustable and you have to replace the whole case (3400$). Basically the crank was sliding back and forth laterally in the cases because somehow it damaged that thrust pad. Still not sure how or what did it, most likely a factory error. So I welded the pad, then hand filed and polished it for about 5 hours to get the pad back to a .05 spec. Altogether that was about a 4 month process. Put the motor back in and ride a couple hours then pull over on a trail to check everything out. For some reason I touched the right rear shock reservoir and the sucker is boiling 馃サ. The way textron designed the exhaust it points directly on the reservoir! Super bad design. So I pull the spark arrestor so it kind of points straight and not right on the reservoir. Ride for a couple more hours and check it out again. It melted the plastic just under the tail light lol 馃槀. Get that all worked out 馃挭. Go out again, find a nice hill to mess around with the 4wd. Put it in 4wd and it was shaking like a fat girl at a dance party lol 馃槅! Think maybe the carrier baring is having some issues I haven鈥檛 dug into yet because I鈥檓 just frustrated. I鈥檝e seen great wildcat sports and XX don鈥檛 get me wrong. Still yet to see a lemon can am lol. My option, spend a little more and save your self the stress lol.

Registered
I have a 2017 sport it set the woods on fire. The engine just didn鈥檛 sound right and I knew it was losing power.. textron replaced all the melted plastic ( they had a recall already) when the dealer returned it to me I could tell it still wasn鈥檛 running right. They said I was wrong nothing was wrong with it. Well just happens that a big Honda dealer was just a couple of miles away from them and also sold wildcats .. Go Figure.. I drove over to them and the service guy said he thought it was okay too... I don鈥檛 think so I said. You have one brand new out front les compare.. well guess what! It鈥檚 not running right! A week in that shop! I got a call come get it it鈥檚 fixed. They finally figured out it was a bad coil. That causes unburned fuel to pass through to the exhaust .. big fire hazard! WARNING THIS CAN HAPPEN YEARS LATER AND SET FIRE TO EVERYTHING. Needs to be addressed with TEXTRON NOW BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!!!!!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
That鈥檚 insane! Textron couldn鈥檛 care less though unfortunately. Listen when I created this post it wasn鈥檛 because I believe one rig is mechanically better than the other ( although that鈥檚 truth ) it鈥檚 because the customer service you receive from them after spending thousands of dollars on their product is no existent. Night and day dealing with can am and Polaris. I have buddies who have dealt with both and they got the issues fixed in a timely manner and at no cost to them. Huge difference. That鈥檚 were the SAVE YOUR MONEY part comes in. Customer service is everything.

Registered
kymco motor is bulletproof- sorry for bad luck- different company- same problems...haha

Registered
I hear your frustration. I continue to see a ton of issues with the 18's & early 19's including the Wildcat xx. People still continue to buy them, I guess not knowing what their getting themselves into. Now if you want to build it up & changed all the recommended aftermarket stuff to make it last. Well!!! You might think twice about what sxs you'll buy. I personally like my xx & mainly run it in desert w/o any issues. I fit in it. Lol! I also love the Can am but have seen the sub frames snap in half on several occasions. Best of luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts