Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a new 2020 XX, and am installing harnesses into it.

My previous sxs had harnesses that formed a "Y" and attached with a single bolt. My new belts, have two shoulder straps with individual mounting brackets.

My question is this.. Is the top bar, behind the seats (not the ROPS) intended to be a harness bar.. thus eliminating the need to bolt the harness brackets to the chassis?

I've watched vids on how to loop the webbing, but can't find much info on how to mount belts into the XX. Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and safely.

If anyone has a pic of how they installed theirs that would be a big help.

Thanks ahead of time!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Yes, that bar is intended for shoulder harnesses.

If your new belts are sewn to the individual mounting brackets, you'll need to cut that off and buy something like the "3 bar wrap around plate" offered by pegasus auto racing (can't link to it, as they are not a sponsor on this site). You'll need 4 - one for each belt. Most harnesses come with 3 bar plates to attach the webbing to the bolt in brackets. If that is the case, just un-thread the harness webbing from the 3 bar plate, wrap it around the harness bar and thread it back onto the 3 bar plate.

BTW, did you happen to notice that XX is setup to use the Y type shoulder harness with a retractor? I've not seen that setup offered, and I'm tempted to try to find an upholstery shop that could stitch my two harness webs to the webbing in the seatbelt retractors. It would be cool to have inertia controlled shoulder harnesses.

Reactions: negatronix

·
Registered
129 Posts
corbeau seat belts retractable seat belt harness about $125 bucks

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Thanks, Toyman!

·
Registered
129 Posts
your welcome

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finished mounting the harnesses using the harness bar.. piece of cake, and super clean. Thanks for chiming in and helping out.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
corbeau seat belts retractable seat belt harness about $125 bucks
These look very interesting online! If you cut holes in the body panel behind the seats, can you attach the central retractor anchor onto the existing horizontal cross bar?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, that bar is intended for shoulder harnesses.

If your new belts are sewn to the individual mounting brackets, you'll need to cut that off and buy something like the "3 bar wrap around plate" offered by pegasus auto racing (can't link to it, as they are not a sponsor on this site). You'll need 4 - one for each belt. Most harnesses come with 3 bar plates to attach the webbing to the bolt in brackets. If that is the case, just un-thread the harness webbing from the 3 bar plate, wrap it around the harness bar and thread it back onto the 3 bar plate.

BTW, did you happen to notice that XX is setup to use the Y type shoulder harness with a retractor? I've not seen that setup offered, and I'm tempted to try to find an upholstery shop that could stitch my two harness webs to the webbing in the seatbelt retractors. It would be cool to have inertia controlled shoulder harnesses.
Hi mbrandt1402 ... I'm intrigued by the corbeau harness that doesn't seem to need an extra horizontal bar behind the seats. Where does the retractor attach on the XX? I'm hoping my 2018 X has the same anchoring point.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
My '19 XX needs no modifications to add the inertia reel shoulder harnesses. The firewall plastic has a V depression molded into it beneath the access to the harness bar. At the bottom of the V is a plate with a large hole for the bolt and a smaller hole for the locating tab on the retractor. I tested one of the OEM retractors after removing them for our 6 pt harnesses. Perfect fit.

The Corbeau retractors looked very similar, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that there is an industry standard for mountings these things.

·
Registered
129 Posts
the Corbeau belts need to have a 1 1/2 foot behind the seat for the retractor mount. thats what Corbeau seats told me . this is how I mounted mine
20200325_140950.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
The I made covers for the retractors to help protect them

·
Registered
40 Posts
The I made covers for the retractors to help protect them
Thanks for the pics Toyman! (Nice looking rig, too!). It looks like the retractor is well anchored on your spare tire carrier ... I’ll have to consider something like that!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you . Glad to help

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
FYI, the X also comes with shoulder retractor mounts built in. I would not use them without a harness bar to establish the correct vertical location for the harnesses. Toyman's installation takes care of that.

Toyman, you might consider posting a link in the X forum so people looking for info on shoulder belts on the X don't skip this thread because of it's location in the XX forum.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will have to that

·
Registered
129 Posts
to install harness bar you do not need to remove fuel tank .I don't know about the xx models but I wouldn't think so

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Joekai12, you might give us a little more info on what you are trying to do. The fuel tank does get in the way of "normal" anti-sub strap placement, but unless you are trying to follow specific requirements for a racing series there are other ways to provide a 6 pt harness for the XX passenger seat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joekai12, you might give us a little more info on what you are trying to do. The fuel tank does get in the way of "normal" anti-sub strap placement, but unless you are trying to follow specific requirements for a racing series there are other ways to provide a 6 pt harness for the XX passenger seat.
I’m starting to look into purchasing harness’. I was thinking a 4pt would be good for the type of riding i do, mostly trail/woods riding. I’m open to suggestions, I was looking at the PRP 4.2

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I like to ride fast where conditions permit and my previous hobby was sports car road-racing with speeds up to about 140 mph and lots of corners in the 100 mph range. My viewpoint is heavily influenced by that history, but I would never ride with less that 5 and preferably 6 pt harnesses. If you hit something going fast enough (30 mph?), you will slide out from underneath a 4 pt harness. That is why the 5th or 5th and 6th belts are called anti-sub straps.

I started racing with a 5 pt harness. As you can imagine, the placement of the anti-sub strap was not at all comfortable. I threw those away and bought a 6 pt set where the double anti-sub straps attach with the seatbelt anchors. The straps run across the seat bottom, then wrap up around your thighs and connect to the lap and shoulder belts. The only problem with that in a sidebyside is you cannot pull the seats out without un-bolting one end of the anti-sub arrangement. I mounted my anti-sub belts to the seat base, so it comes out with the seat. Easy-peasy, but make sure the anti-subs are long enough for that mounting arrangement. I had mine made a little extra long.

So it comes down to the style of riding, how fast you ride and how much risk you want to assume. You ride trails/woods, so I'm guessing you don't usually run real fast. However, how violent would the collision be if you drove into a blind corner and got hit head-on by some "hold my beer" idiot running way too fast for the circumstances? Would 4 pts be enough? Only you can answer that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts