Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for folks w/ the gear; what is the measurement from the seat cushion to the roof line?

My wife is 5' and her not being able to have a good line of sight will ruin her ride. We found a machine in the classifieds that is only a few hours away, but if it won't work if she can't ride.

And the second kicker would be, when I ride in IL, my buddy is 6'3" so if the cage is too low and but I had to mod seat brackets for the wife, we're back to square one.

Any help?

·
Administrator
28,167 Posts
The "Rule of Thumb" with cages, as long as when you're sitting in the seat with a helmet on, and you rest your fist on top of your helmet, and you barely or don't touch the headache bars or bottom of your cage, whatever is closer, you're good to go. If you do, you're risking breaking your neck / spine in a rollover.

You could look to see if you could get seat bolsters, or aluminum seat risers. The seat risers are your best bet. You can put them in for the wife, take them out for the friend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The "Rule of Thumb" with cages, as long as when you're sitting in the seat with a helmet on, and you rest your fist on top of your helmet, and you barely or don't touch the headache bars or bottom of your cage, whatever is closer, you're good to go. If you do, you're risking breaking your neck / spine in a rollover.

You could look to see if you could get seat bolsters, or aluminum seat risers. The seat risers are your best bet. You can put them in for the wife, take them out for the friend.
I don't have the machine yet, thus the question about actual measurements. I know a RZR will work for both my wife and we avoided the X3 because of the seat positioning, among other issues.
Funny enough, I'm finding some X3 and RZR risers but nothing else at the moment.

I did come across this in my search, https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/t...se-check-your-setup-for-same-weakness.139520/
modding a seat bracket isn't bad IMHO if done properly but it appears that even the high priced Spearco seats have questionable build quality for certain types of crashes.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Im 6'5" and sit well in the XX, my wife and grandkids are 5' and with the seat all the way forward, they handle it pretty good.. if anything, my wife at times will use a booster pad to get her up a little..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im 6'5" and sit well in the XX, my wife and grandkids are 5' and with the seat all the way forward, they handle it pretty good.. if anything, my wife at times will use a booster pad to get her up a little..
You're my buddys height. Do you think you'd have room if you had to use a 2-4" riser?
Maybe a 2" riser w/ an adjustable seat bracket. It seems like those also move up and forward.:unsure:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your modifying before you get it. I've had kids 4' to adult sons a 6' 6" and no problem. Seating position in my opinion is the best in the business on the XX!!!
Not modding before hand, just trying to determine if it will work for us and/or if we need to mod.
I've seen a few vids or threads were visability is diminished because of the lower seating and the high fenders, thus my question of do-ability for us.
Thanks for the height info, thats good to know.
If we do get an XX, I wonder if doing fender trimming would work. I look at them and it looks like a modded fender, removing the first 6" off, from head light back towards the seating compartment will gain some visibility. Just thinking outloud.

The seats is the 18 sit lower then the 19+ also...bottom seat cushion is different. Just throwing it out there.
The machine in question has PRP seats and 2" risers. I find 4" risers for the RZR and X3.
Good to know if I encounter a factory 18, useful factoid. (y)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Your thinking of cutting the fenders back to help what? I’ve thought of that too but even at my height, I don’t think I’ll gain anything. In time, you get it figured out as to where your tires are without seeing them. Very easy rig to maneuver.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your thinking of cutting the fenders back to help what? I’ve thought of that too but even at my height, I don’t think I’ll gain anything. In time, you get it figured out as to where your tires are without seeing them. Very easy rig to maneuver.
Watching some vids from the drivers seat, the fenders do flare up and by cutting those, or fulling removing, it looks like you could gain additional visibility. I could get used to the vehicle layout but I'm trying to make it easier for the wife if she drives. I did find fenders and they are pretty cheap even new but I suspect I could do a full removal to see what that gets me.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I recently cracked a fender pretty good. Took it off & noticed hey that looks pretty good without the fender. So I took the other one off also. So for now I'm rolling fenderless & I like it. Looks good & obviously sight lines are better. And even with the fender off, there's still a vertical panel right in front of the door that gives some protection from anything coming straight back off the tire. You get a little more muddy but I didn't get an off road vehicle to stay clean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It will get muddy for sure. One thing we love about our XX is the wheel fender coverage for debris.
When I was young we used to use the phone book on the seat for better visibility... lol...
Fenderless i suspect it will get muddied up a little. W/o as noted below, I suspect it will look more like a RZR and I saw some pics of machines being worked on and w/o the fenders it had an aggressive crawler look.

I recently cracked a fender pretty good. Took it off & noticed hey that looks pretty good without the fender. So I took the other one off also. So for now I'm rolling fenderless & I like it. Looks good & obviously sight lines are better. And even with the fender off, there's still a vertical panel right in front of the door that gives some protection from anything coming straight back off the tire. You get a little more muddy but I didn't get an off road vehicle to stay clean.
Sounds nice and out here we have very few mud holes so I could roll like that if needed .

Got any pics of you rollin that front end nekid?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And should be picking up Deans machine as soon as I can make travel arrangements.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Fenderless i suspect it will get muddied up a little. W/o as noted below, I suspect it will look more like a RZR and I saw some pics of machines being worked on and w/o the fenders it had an aggressive crawler look.

Sounds nice and out here we have very few mud holes so I could roll like that if needed .

Got any pics of you rollin that front end nekid?
I'll get some pictures when I get a chance.

·
Registered
678 Posts
My naked girl...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Combat vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: powerlifter405

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does change the look, almost like a KRX in front not bad. I'm guessing someone could do half fenders or the like w/ HDPE or even mock up some cardboard and lay out some fiberglass for a nicer shape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts