Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail XT. I took it out to a mud park, less than 10 hours on machine, and I ended up having problems shifting after I rode it a little while had to play with it to get it to shift. When it was cold starting off it shifted fine. It got stuck in low forward at a dead end and I could not turn around where I was at. Ended up trying to force it out of low to put it in reverse, unsuccessful, and someone had to tow me out backwards. The shifting cable broke and bracket that the shifting cable was attached to was bent. The arctic cat dealer changed the shift cable and bent the bracket back. Worked fine when I picked it up but went ride again and having similar shifting issues. This time I was able to keep going forward and not break the cable but I think I stretch or bend something because when I put it park it would hit the plastic. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any information of how to fix this or if Arctic Cat put anything out about a fix. The dealer is having problems finding the cause of the shifting issue and fixing mine. Any help would be appreciated. I also put a snorkel kit on mine from snorkel my atv. Seen lots of pictures of others with the same type snorkel. Snorkel Kit for Arctic Cat Wildcat / Prowler: SideBySideStuff.com

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
Welcome Krrash Override. Congrats on your Trail. There have been plenty of threads about cable problems. Click on the forum tab, then scroll down until you see the Trail section, and go explore. The sticky note in there talks about problems, fixes, and mods. Start there, and then do a search if nothing jumps right out at you. Hopefully, you'll be looking into harnesses, and a harness bar soon.

Stop by the new members area, and start a thread so members can meet you.

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
I just deleted your other thread. One thread per topic, in any section. Give the members some time to see your thread. Everybody on here is very helpful, you just have to give it some time, OK?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I have some serious shifting issues too. Won't go in to be checked out by the dealer for a few weeks. The first thing they said on the phone was that it's probably the cable but I really don't think it is. I attempted to adjust it and it really seems to be something in the trans where the cable is binding.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
There have been 2 people with this issue both times the problem was corrosion in the primary clutch but don't remember if it was keeping the weights from moving or something else. Both times new machines and they were unable to shift after the machine warmed up without turning off the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I believe I found out why my Cat wasn't shifting properly. The snorkel. I ordered the snorkel guards with the kit. It replaces the open tip with a tip with a mesh filter inside to prevent water and dirt from entering the snorkel. Well they sent three guards for the three pipes. What wasn't clear at the time of install was that the guards only go on the TWO air INTAKE tubes while in operation. The THIRD guard is only for when u might want to put it in for storage. So we put the snorkel guard on the exhaust tube for the belt when we installed it. Well the guy from Snorkel Your ATV said that when you are riding the belt releases fibers and clogs the snorkel guard on the exhaust tube on the inside if it's installed during operation and that causes air flow /heat issues. Which causes shifting issues. I'm like y'all need to put a huge warning somewhere for that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The 2014 trail had a clutch recall or at least mine did. You may want to make sure yours has been done. My consisted of them replacing the entire primary clutch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not actually a recall but a service bulletin.
It is TSB #BU201403, and it says certain VINs, but does not give a list of VINs, nor a range of VINs. The dealer is to log into Cat Tracker<br />
and review VINs assigned to him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
So I believe I found out why my Cat wasn't shifting properly. The snorkel. I ordered the snorkel guards with the kit. It replaces the open tip with a tip with a mesh filter inside to prevent water and dirt from entering the snorkel. Well they sent three guards for the three pipes. What wasn't clear at the time of install was that the guards only go on the TWO air INTAKE tubes while in operation. The THIRD guard is only for when u might want to put it in for storage. So we put the snorkel guard on the exhaust tube for the belt when we installed it. Well the guy from Snorkel Your ATV said that when you are riding the belt releases fibers and clogs the snorkel guard on the exhaust tube on the inside if it's installed during operation and that causes air flow /heat issues. Which causes shifting issues. I'm like y'all need to put a huge warning somewhere for that.
There is not a chance in hellO that a short ride will clog any guard over your CVT exhaust with belt fibers, if it did you'd be replacing a belt every hundred miles.
If the shifting problem is in the primary it will act the same as if the idle is too high.
When it's hard to shift, shut the machine off & see if it shifts easier, if so it's either idle speed or problem in primary, if not it's somewhere else.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
If that was the case then you should give the clutch a good cleaning now to remove all the belt dust and crud. Its good practise to do this regularily anyway. While you are in there, check the bearing/sleeve between the two halves of the primary to ensure it rotates freely both directions and check your weights to make sure they do not bind as the pins that hold them tend to rust easily. If you have issues shifting again, rather than try to force it just shut the engine off and shift to whatever gear you want then restart with foot on brake. Pain in the backside but at least you can move around rather than being towed backwards while stuck in gear.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
There is not a chance in hellO that a short ride will clog any guard over your CVT exhaust with belt fibers, if it did you'd be replacing a belt every hundred miles.
If the shifting problem is in the primary it will act the same as if the idle is too high.
When it's hard to shift, shut the machine off & see if it shifts easier, if so it's either idle speed or problem in primary, if not it's somewhere else.
Thats a good idea,that will let you know if it's the primary or not.....

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
When having shifting problems,I'm just wonder how hard some are forcing the shifter....

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
For anyone who decides to unhook the cable and shift by hand at the transaxle as a troubleshooting tool, do not mistake the stiffness at the transaxle as you problem being in the transaxle. Its normal for it to be fairly stiff and hard to shift by hand at the transaxle, it is suprisingly stiff actually and you will feel it engage at each gear you stop in. If its really stiff at the shifter handle then you have an issue in the cable itself. Could be rusted or clogged up due to water ingress, could be frozen for some of us. If you really have to pull on that shifter to get it to move then stop pulling on it, youll just make more issues for yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine had the same issue. Took it to dealer and he said could not find a problem. Had him drive it and get it up to temp and it caked up. He found problem in primary clutch. Cleaned up a "rust" that was preventing the clutch from fully releasing. No more problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I just recently purchased a 2017, 3 years old now, with only 40 miles on it. At the dealer it was okay. When I got it home it wasn't wanting to shift easily after a 2 minute ride. It shifted, but just needed encouragement. Took it out today and had to try and panic force it into gear. Hoping the cable was just stuck from not being used, I ended up breaking the shift cable. Hoping that's the case but came here for more insight. Found a few threads talking about the primary clutch. Going to troubleshoot what you all have posted when the new cable comes in but worried it could be something more. Is it a good possibility/common problem with the primary clutch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When having shifting problems,I'm just wonder how hard some are forcing the shifter....
Haha, pretty hard when it worked with a little encouragement and you keep giving a little more. Being a few miles out didn't help ease the force either.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I'm having the same issue. I just recently purchased a 2017, 3 years old now, with only 40 miles on it. At the dealer it was okay. When I got it home it wasn't wanting to shift easily after a 2 minute ride. It shifted, but just needed encouragement. Took it out today and had to try and panic force it into gear. Hoping the cable was just stuck from not being used, I ended up breaking the shift cable. Hoping that's the case but came here for more insight. Found a few threads talking about the primary clutch. Going to troubleshoot what you all have posted when the new cable comes in but worried it could be something more. Is it a good possibility/common problem with the primary clutch?
My vote goes to the Primary Clutch sticking. Search it, there’s pictures where to sand and get it working smooth. If the shift lever won’t move just shut the machine off move lever then restart instead of breaking shift cable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its a stick primary for sure. I fixed min last week. Sanded the pillars. I installed the Dalton clutch kit as well. Big difference with the engagement. Buttery smooth engagement!!

Reactions: Bawkz
1 - 20 of 24 Posts