Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just wanted to give you a heads up on the recent changes at Silverton City Hall, what use to be a UTV friendly town is no more.

Link:

Be sure to hit the contact us tab and share the love with them.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
sad news indeed...our ohv club members were going to plan a summer retreat in lake city to do the alpine loop...i just left this on the silverton link...

"we were coming to ride the alpine loop this summer out of lake city with a visit to silverton to spend some money on eats and do some shopping...but i see we are no longer welcome in silverton...at 73 and 74 years of age i guess we'll just take our money to utah, arizona, wyoming and south dakota where we are welcome...we're telling everyone in our ohv world to stay clear of silverton by any means of travel and that includes the d & s train route..."

colorado has turned in to a libtard state and a far cry from what it was like in 1983 when we first visited...the tree huggers, greenies , lefties and quiet use coalition groups has ruined it for all but the whackos...

·
Registered
791 Posts
And here I was hoping that the recent changes in Lake City meant more good changes coming to the area, but now they went the other way.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
i'm hoping silverton's actions don't hurt the folks in lake city but i'm afraid it might...it was a great ride to go over either engineer or cinnamon pass down to animas forks then in to silverton and on the way back to reverse the passes...silvertons actions is what you'd expect from the front range morons...(minus the folks in the springs)...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am very sad to hear about this action the town has made!
We enjoyed the area very much & spend considerable time in town eating, shopping, etc, all from the seat of our Sport as we were camped outside of town.
As we were planning to re-visit the area, we'll have to look at options using other towns in the area as a base of our adventures.
I sent an email to the Community Relation's Manage, but I seriously doubt they will take a second look at this new by-law.
Sadly I think it will have a very detrimental effect on the businesses in town

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
hey senior...your best bet will be lake city, co...they've opened up the city and hwy 149 to access both paths to the alpine loop...for the most part colorado is a ohv unfriendly state...

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
we're titled, registered, tagged and insured in south dakota but our rig is still an ohv and i don't see where it will be allowed to be in the silverton city limits...have i missed something?...

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
Dean, there are a number of people that believe a vehicle that is street legal and licensed in their state can be operated in any state on the type of streets allowed in their home state. I.e. they believe a UTV gets the same treatment as an out of state car. I've not seen any info from an unimpeachable source that backs that up.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I heard there was an attorney from TX who challenged this and won because he got a ticket from the state patrol for riding the section of highway between Lake City and the alpine loop. I haven't found any documentation on that though.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
Dean, there are a number of people that believe a vehicle that is street legal and licensed in their state can be operated in any state on the type of streets allowed in their home state. I.e. they believe a UTV gets the same treatment as an out of state car. I've not seen any info from an unimpeachable source that backs that up.
yup, all i know is that florida and most places in colorado don't care if ohv's are tagged somewhere else...to them a ohv is an ohv and not permitted on the roadways thus subject to being ticketed...i'm not much wanting to be a test case in either place...years ago the local sheriff in park county turned a blind eye to it until youngins had a crash with injuries on a public roadway in our neighborhood...that occurred a couple of months before we moved out here in 2005...to be honest that is why we love going places that know where the money is and permit the riding on public roads...

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The great state of KommieRado shot down permanent licensing for SxS's the last time it was introduced. The folks east of the hump has no clue how life west of the hump works. I think the Rockhopper was stopped on one of the trails and warned over his lack of OHV sticker with his permanent out of state plate attached.

Here is the Lake City Info for OHV traffic:

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
I heard there was an attorney from TX who challenged this and won because he got a ticket from the state patrol for riding the section of highway between Lake City and the alpine loop. I haven't found any documentation on that though.
my guess it would be colorado hwy 149 which i heard recently opened up to ohv traffic...not sure if ohv's need to be street legal though...we use to start the alpine loop going over cinnamon pass and returning over engineer pass and had to have our trucks/trailers there to put our rigs on to go through town...that got old real quick...

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
WOW, gone back to the old ways with Silverton being unfriendly again to the OHV Groups/rider's. Back in the days of the early 2000's both Lake City and Silverton were not friendly at all but we still took to Lake City anyway. Once the Jeep rental's fell flat, LC changed and welcomed the OHV's and we could ride the entire Alpine Loop but not into Silverton(had a few issue's with some of the locals though in LC). After many years of returning to LC I just got burned out on the area, Silverton had changed towards being friendly but by then I never returned.
What everyone should do right now who has reservations through June 20th should cancel in Silverton and take your reservations to Lake City, money not spent now in Silverton always makes a message loud and clear.
I'm heading to Nathrop on June 18th for a week of Riding, I know we will have to trailer everyday to the trail heads, I don't know this area at all, guess I'll be finding out. This is more of a vacation for a friend who I am going with, staying in a cabin rental.

Reactions: SJs

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Guys,

If your looking for new trails to ride check into the Taylor Park area north of Gunnison, everything from cabin rentals to dry camping in the surrounding national forest.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
I'm heading to Nathrop on June 18th for a week of Riding, I know we will have to trailer everyday to the trail heads, I don't know this area at all, guess I'll be finding out. This is more of a vacation for a friend who I am going with, staying in a cabin rental.
welcome to chaffee county and our off road club's home area...where you're heading is where we have the ohv historical color tour every year in september...takes in part of lake county in the leadville area, park county and chaffee county where nathrop is located along with taylor park in gunnison county...click on this link at check out the rides you might want to take...

Ride Descriptions (buenavistacolorado.org)

if anything grabs your attention do a google search for where the trailheads are...yup, have to trailer to all of them...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts