Wildcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had put a longer bolt on the header heat shield and put a jam nut on it. I rode it for a while after that and didn't have any trouble but I know that cheap heat shield on the fire wall on the passenger side developed a hole not through the plastic but that lousy silvery stuff. When I go back to bring my machine out here I was thinking of getting some kind of heat wrap for the header pipe, but I'd also like to replace the muffler as the heat from the current one is very concerning for me if I'm driving in dry forested area's. What's all involved for installing this Muzzy exhaust system and the approximate cost? I was hoping for a simple replacement of the muffler I wasn't too interested in having to chip or tune the fuel injection.

·
Registered
866 Posts
There is everything from a simple slip on pipe to the full exhaust from Muzzy. The full exhaust isn't difficult but much more involved than the slip on. You can litterly have the slip on installed in a few minutes. It took me around an hour to install the full system. Reports say tuning is not required but beneficial in keeping AFR dialed in for either route. None have shown to be way out of whack to my knowledge and be a must have. Each machine is different so it is important to monitor signs of lean AFR conditions via plug assessment or AFR readings IMO.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There is everything from a simple slip on pipe to the full exhaust from Muzzy. The full exhaust isn't difficult but much more involved than the slip on. You can litterly have the slip on installed in a few minutes. It took me around an hour to install the full system. Reports say tuning is not required but beneficial in keeping AFR dialed in for either route. None have shown to be way out of whack to my knowledge and be a must have. Each machine is different so it is important to monitor signs of lean AFR conditions via plug assessment or AFR readings IMO.
I just had a look at Muzzy's website and noticed how they reroute the exhaust header away from the firewall a little bit along with a bigger pipe. I guess the old bank account will determine what I can and can't do to my machine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I just had a look at Muzzy's website and noticed how they reroute the exhaust header away from the firewall a little bit along with a bigger pipe. I guess the old bank account will determine what I can and can't do to my machine.

As as true with most toys and hobbies! The forum is evil in that way...lol. Yeah, the full system has me about three inches of header clearance to the nearest part of the firewall. It sounds awesome if you like a thumping exhaust note. The equal length header changes the idle note significantly. I like it, but some may not. It is louder. It's more pealing to me though

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Reactions: BertB34

·
Premium Member
3,716 Posts
Reactions: BertB34

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm thinking about that Muzzy exhaust system everybody seems to be pretty happy with it. So on top of needing rims, tires, a winch that's about $2,000 I need to put into my machine. Maybe the wife was right I should of kept my old Polaris 500. lol

Reactions: dspete05

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Did a 115 mile trek over the weekend and noticed the heat shield rattling worse than ever. Looks like the screw on the bottom of the shield toward the center of the machine is gone. I was looking at the parts schematic and it says it's SCREW,MACH-TSTRH M6X1.0X10 Z&BLK 8477-610. I guess they'll have that at Lowes. It's $12.50 to ship a 39 cent part from MLS. I guess I should go with the worm clamp thingy too. Any other advice on this ?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Did a 115 mile trek over the weekend and noticed the heat shield rattling worse than ever. Looks like the screw on the bottom of the shield toward the center of the machine is gone. I was looking at the parts schematic and it says it's SCREW,MACH-TSTRH M6X1.0X10 Z&BLK 8477-610. I guess they'll have that at Lowes. It's $12.50 to ship a 39 cent part from MLS. I guess I should go with the worm clamp thingy too. Any other advice on this ?
open up the O2 sensor hole in the shield too. I've got to look at mine also, the buzzing is driving me crazy. I may take the shield off and have someone wed the 2 halves together.

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
open up the O2 sensor hole in the shield too. I've got to look at mine also, the buzzing is driving me crazy. I may take the shield off and have someone wed the 2 halves together.

might be the thing to do,I opened up the hole around my 02 sensor,and did the hose clamp mod and mine still buzzes when i let off the gas at around 10 mph

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So I got the hose clamp and put it on. The head of the outer facing heat shield torx screw wore right through the shield so I put a fender washer on that. Then I was trying to replace the missing torx screw that screws up vertically and I put a screwdriver between the shield and the plastic back panel to align the hole in the shield with the threaded hole on the exhaust and managed to scrape away some of the heat shield on the plastic in the closest spot to the exhaust. Plus I dropped the vertical screw and washer and can't find them. What do I need to do about the heat shield ?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Take the bolt out of the side and go to the store, any store, and find you a bolt with matching threads. Get it long enough to add a lock washer and add a dab of high heat silicone to it when you install it. Not guarunteed to keep it in there but will last longer than snugging down the same bolt over and over again. My center bolt has been gone for a while and didnt see much point in putting it back in. Eventually the rivets that hold the two halves of the heat shield together will start to vibrate too. Hammer fixes those.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
If its too close to the firewall for ya, there is the new 2016 firewall which you can buy through MLS and it has a good fist sized gap instead of the think gap in on OEM setup. I ended up bending my shield a little and the sound went away for a while. Needed to cut out the O2 sensor like Drock did to get that sound but sold machine instead..now it's new owners problem and I'll just get new machine and start again.

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Take the bolt out of the side and go to the store, any store, and find you a bolt with matching threads. Get it long enough to add a lock washer and add a dab of high heat silicone to it when you install it. Not guarunteed to keep it in there but will last longer than snugging down the same bolt over and over again. My center bolt has been gone for a while and didnt see much point in putting it back in. Eventually the rivets that hold the two halves of the heat shield together will start to vibrate too. Hammer fixes those.
my favorite tool!...

Reactions: de3

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I cut around the O2 sensor, gave the rivets a whack with the hammer to pinch them tight, lock washered and siliconed my bolts (still missing lower one). My header is also wrapped and the wrap is over the bolt holes so when its bolted together there is no metal on metal, header wrap acts as isolation for vibration and heat. Thats about as good as it will get without throwing the thing in the garbage. Anyone with a header thats too close, i recommend the new firewall rather than layer after layer of heat tape. Mines close but i have a fairly thick heat mat rather than a heat tape so if it burns through all of that and melts the firewall then we have some major issues.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So the new firewall is an OEM revision ? If I ordered it off of the parts schematic for my 2014 would I get it automatically ? Does it come with the adhesive heat shield patch on it ? How much work is involved in replacing it ?

I simply could not get the bottom heat shield bolt in even with a wobble extension. So now I have 2 worm clamps wrapped around the shield holding on a piece of header wrap fabric which looks like it will just deteriorate and I also applied two layers of heat shield tape over the factory heat shield patch where I scraped it.

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
So the new firewall is an OEM revision ? If I ordered it off of the parts schematic for my 2014 would I get it automatically ? Does it come with the adhesive heat shield patch on it ? How much work is involved in replacing it ?
yup, the passenger firewall is the new one and ready to go...mls or your local dealer should be able to get it for you...price in the lower $40's...i was goin' that route until i decided to trade our 2014 in for a new 2016 trail s/e...imagine there is more work involved to do it than i would be up to but i was goin' to have our dealer do it for us...was told it comes with the heat shield...

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
To be on the safe side id order for the 2016 rather than say 2014 and hope you get the revised part. You should get the revised part but nothing worse than assuming that then getting the wrong one. Not what id call a hard thing to replace but its a major pain in the backside. Unbolt all around the perimeter and loosen off other body plastics. When i took my firewall out i was not afraid to bend and contort it to make it cooperate with me rather than disassemble half the rig to get it out. Once thats out you will be able to get at that bottom bolt if your really want to, actually would be a good time to totally remove it and tighten up the rivets and maybe place some mat between the shield and the header at the mounting points to soak up some of the vibration. Almost forgot, youll have to remove the fuel hose too so be careful not to break the fitting at the tank.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts