Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and looking for a small trailer. I found a Triton Trailer 6.5 x 8.5 and wanted to know if anyone has used this to haul a wildcat trail?
I saw a bunch of posts with people using 8 foot truck beds and it hangs onto the tail gate a few inches and another guy who has used a 4x8 harbor freight trailer..... that's the only example to the length that I was able to find and the extra 6 inches i don't think would be enough to make this trailer a safe option but wanted to get others thoughts on this.

From what I can find the wheel base (stock) is 84.6'' the total length is 110.5'' meaning it will be hanging off the 8.5 foot trailer.. wanted to confirm if this is correct... or if I'm missing anything.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have a 12 atv trailer I use. Still had to add some tie down locations on it. If the trailer you are looking at has a weight capacity that exceeds the 1000+lbs of the Trail you are fine. Wheels will fit on an 8.5ft deck but you may need to add tie down hooks in specific locations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
12 ft. You have some extra room for other stuff. Also check the Gross weight on the trailer and also it's axle. You don't want to have axles like this /--\

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
12 ft. You have some extra room for other stuff. Also check the Gross weight on the trailer and also it's axle. You don't want to have axles like this /--\
The trailer I'm looking at is a Triton ATV88
ATV88, a Triton Side loading aluminum trailer for your ATV's and much more!
Says 1880 so the weight I think should be OK but was concerned about being able to strap it down safely with hardly any wiggle room on the front and back. Was thinking I could mount some wheel blocks in the front to help.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
You would definitely have to add hooks to it. Why not the 128?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a great price on a used ATV88 trailer and was hoping to make this work. Sticking with the smaller one would allow me to keep all my toys to stay in the garage... I think I could make it work but was hoping someone already did and would post validation that they have prior to me pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The trailer will work but adding e-track and wheel bonnets is what I would do to it. Once the bonnets are tightened down the machine will not move at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all your help!!! I think I'll take the plunge.. I have been using my father-in-laws enclosed trailer but it's such overkill to haul around at long distances.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found a new XT10-101 for only $120 more. Think I'l be going this route just to be safe. Hope it fits with the rest of the toys in the garage or I'll have an angry wife :) :-/

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could do something like this.... photo d.JPG photo e.JPG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehe that looks bad ass! The more I thought about it.. the cost of the special hardware needed to make the smaller trailer work correctly would probably out weigh the cost savings.. Probably spring for the 10' vs skimping on the 8.5

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
hehe that looks bad ass! The more I thought about it.. the cost of the special hardware needed to make the smaller trailer work correctly would probably out weigh the cost savings.. Probably spring for the 10' vs skimping on the 8.5
Smart move. With any trailer, bigger is always better.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I had this small utility trailer, 2000 lb. that I hauled 2 quads on sideways, but the Trail wheels were hanging off both ends and too much weight in back causing a little fishtail. Had about 16" added to the front, and a stop bar out up front, rides great. Glad you went with the larger trailer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like them tandem axles. Wish I could have found one in Michigan. Ended up with a 6.5 by 10'. With a plate and 1/2" u-bolt welded on the tongue and using the winch on the front and 2 rachet straps on the rear, hope I will be good. Love the 6.5 width.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Would not want to put a 9ft machine on an 8 ft trailer. You need some extra room front and rear to get good pull angles with your straps in order to properly secure. You go cheap on a trailer just to have your 13-16K machine roll off it while going down the highway, that would suck.

Check out this thread, its got some good pointers on trailering and tie downs.

http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...ing-tie-downs-while-trailering-truck-bed.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would not want to put a 9ft machine on an 8 ft trailer. You need some extra room front and rear to get good pull angles with your straps in order to properly secure. YO should go cheap on a trailer just to have your 13-16K machine roll off it while going down the highway.

Check out this thread, its got some good pointers on trailering and tie downs.

http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...ing-tie-downs-while-trailering-truck-bed.html
Thank you for sharing that link! Great explanation of maximizing your tie downs!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've got a 6x12 dovetail that I recently added these d-rings from TSC and it made a lot of difference. The most important thing I have done for trailering my Sport was to get the SAK park brake.

SmartStraps Heavy-Duty Surface Mount D-Ring, 1,667 lb. - For Life Out Here

I've got to look for places to mount these on the Sport. Keep from jackin up the powder coat and give me some better pull angles. I need more forward and downward pull on the front.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1010/46633/Canyon-Dancer-Triple-Clamp-Tie-Down-Strap-Rings

IMG_3997license plate delete.jpg

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got a 6' X12' trailer for my wildcat trail. The extra length allowed me to install a pickup truck cargo box. Works great for storage of the helmets, jackets, tie downs, tools, jack, etc. I also installed a couple 2"x4" stacked to stop the wildcat before it hit the box. This has worked out great.

Attachments

Reactions: Steve D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I bought a 6x10 after I hemmed and hawed over a couple of 8 footers. I have nothing for yard (all hill) so space is a premium but no regrets on going with the 10 footer in the end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts