Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 Wildcat 1000 HO. Not a X. The belt was broken in at the dealership. SO they say. It had around 5 miles on it. I drove it easy till I hit 10 miles never going over 40. Then I drove two 10 mile trips between 50 and 65mph. Though I smelt rubber once during one of the 10 mile trips. But only for a second. Could have been a burn barrel and not the cat.
So today I took it out this time for some off road playtime. Did good for the first 10 miles of the rough forest service roads. Ran in high around 20 to 30mph. Then I went to a rough section that was a 20% grade with 3' to 4' ruts for a half mile. I got 3/4's the way up and lost forward momentum the motor stalled and lots of smoke pouring out the back. Never spun a tire. I was just crawling. I think my problem was I was in High range and not Low. I restarted the motor and put it in low. For the rest of the trip it would surge when I started moving and now it takes 7200rpm to hit 50mph.
Did it do this because I was in High and not low? I was not very high on the RPM. I was just crawling up through the gulleys.
Looks like people suggest the Arctic cat belt for a replacement. Suggestions on where to get it? Nearest AC dealer is more than hour and a half away. Also what is the part number for a gates belt? I have seen two different part numbers. I want to buy a cheaper one to keep as a spare since my wife and I ride alone most of the time. She really hates walking and we have walked up to 13 miles out before. Last time was only 4 miles in 2' of soft snow. She is a trooper only to a point.

Since bringing this home I have gotten a metallic slapping sound coming from the clutch housing after coming up a steep hill and stopping on the flat at idle. This happened a couple times just messing around on my acreage. After shutting down and restarting It went away. Almost like the weights are banging. Any ideas? is this normal for a wildcat?

Donny

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like the belt for starters. There may also be something else going on in there. I believe mls has some of the best pricing on belts and great customer service. I run some hills in high but only when it's out in wide open trails and moving very fast. Other than that always in low.

·
Registered
675 Posts
when you were driving 50-65 were you doing a steady mph? if so this may have been bad on the belt. I don't think you really need to be in low unless you are towing something or maybe going up low steep hills. take the cover off and check your belt it may be damaged and causing the sounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Belt is fried. Change it. OEM is the best in my opinion.

When changing the belt check the weights and rollers. I'm sure they are fine unless someone had a bad day along the way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a 2014 Wildcat 1000 HO. Not a X. The belt was broken in at the dealership. SO they say. It had around 5 miles on it. I drove it easy till I hit 10 miles never going over 40. Then I drove two 10 mile trips between 50 and 65mph. Though I smelt rubber once during one of the 10 mile trips. But only for a second. Could have been a burn barrel and not the cat.
So today I took it out this time for some off road playtime. Did good for the first 10 miles of the rough forest service roads. Ran in high around 20 to 30mph. Then I went to a rough section that was a 20% grade with 3' to 4' ruts for a half mile. I got 3/4's the way up and lost forward momentum the motor stalled and lots of smoke pouring out the back. Never spun a tire. I was just crawling. I think my problem was I was in High range and not Low. I restarted the motor and put it in low. For the rest of the trip it would surge when I started moving and now it takes 7200rpm to hit 50mph.
Did it do this because I was in High and not low? I was not very high on the RPM. I was just crawling up through the gulleys.
Looks like people suggest the Arctic cat belt for a replacement. Suggestions on where to get it? Nearest AC dealer is more than hour and a half away. Also what is the part number for a gates belt? I have seen two different part numbers. I want to buy a cheaper one to keep as a spare since my wife and I ride alone most of the time. She really hates walking and we have walked up to 13 miles out before. Last time was only 4 miles in 2' of soft snow. She is a trooper only to a point.

Since bringing this home I have gotten a metallic slapping sound coming from the clutch housing after coming up a steep hill and stopping on the flat at idle. This happened a couple times just messing around on my acreage. After shutting down and restarting It went away. Almost like the weights are banging. Any ideas? is this normal for a wildcat?

Donny
Using high range for crawling is one of the fastest ways to smoke a belt. Especially while under load.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I second the service at MLS great customer service. But check amazon for awesome prices on OEM belts and pull cover off and check rollers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I figured as much on the high gear. I seen that steep hill and deep gullies and forgot about shifting. I'll pull the cover tonight and see whats up. New belt is on order but I will buy another local just to have a good spare and meet another local dealer.

Donny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts