Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, I know... Do a search, it's a sxs- it's going to be dusty. Save it.
I feel like I'm inside a dirtbag in a vacuum. Me and the wife have been running trails for years, we've had 4 wheelers, motorcycles, sandrails, Jeeps, and been in other sxs.
I've never considered selling something because of how much dust I inhale. This amount of dust is terrible, it's got me and the wife thinking about getting rid of the thing. We love it for almost every other reason, so I'm looking for (quality) advice.

I have tried the rear window. No change
Tried no roof. No change.
The only thing that fixes it, is no front windshield, but that isn't an option, and neither is a half windshield, which I own as well.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I hear you, SouthernUTxx. We have the same setup (windshield, roof, rear window). Over the last couple of days I've been thinking that keeping heat and dust out of full windshield, roof & rear window XXs deserves it's own thread. Some of the things that work for no or half windshield setups (extractor vents in the hood, for example) don't work as well with a full windshield.

I have the area ahead of the dash and the front entrances to the console/tunnel closed off fairly well, but now heat and dust boils up from all of the gaps in the rear of the cabin. We rode for about 150 miles the last few days completely by ourselves. When the trails opened up enough to cruise fast, the amount of dust and heat drawn into the XX cab from below and behind the seats was shocking. I'm going to remove the blocking plates I added between the front diff and the cabin plastics that somewhat closed off the front of the tunnel. I believe closing that area just shifted where the cabin draws air from, and not for the better.

When we get home I plan to strip the cabin plastics out and figure out how to close-up the cabin without making it a royal pain to work on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have considered the speed roof. I just don't want to keep throwing money at it. I'd love to see if it works though.

As for sealing the gaps in the cab- I bought window air conditioner foam strips. They're cheap and come is different sizes. Very easy to work with. I sealed every hole I could find, and it did help a little.
The problem was when I washed the cab out they would stay wet, and collect all the dirt. I was afraid this might cause bigger problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Everybody runs these cars in different conditions. In CA we must wear helmets. Many have simply added a filtered air pumping system to their helmets that way they get clean, cool fresh air. I respect that fact that many would never consider wearing a helmet, but in this situation it works, especially when following. In one of my cars I have the half windshield and in my other I have none. The one with the half gas the RG vented roof and the other has the aluminium roof. Neither have a rear windshield. I thought that the RG vented roof would make a big difference, and it doesn't make a noticeable change, especially with helmets on. My car came with the half windshield and personally I dont like it. As the day goes on it accumulates a lot of dust and towards the end of the day it is a real hindrance to visual depth perception when going around corners and climbing hills. I have since taken it off. I think a full windshield may work if there was some way to regularly clean it throughout the day.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
We ran in mixed conditions today in the Black Hills - some dust, some muddy spots. I LOVE OUR GLASS WINDSHIELD! It doesn't attract dust like plastic, and if we got mud splatters, the manual wipers did a good job cleaning the glass. Our X had a flip-up plastic windshield, and as Crashly has said, it accumulated a lot of dust inside and out. We often finished a ride with it flipped up so we could see.

I will fix the heat and dust problem. It isn't rocket science, it just requires a thorough analysis of where and how air is getting into the cab. Like Crashly, I've used the a/c foam strips, but only in areas that don't routinely get soaked. I'll be looking for rubber seal strips for the lower areas.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I never tried it. But I have seen where a spoiler is used on the trailing edge of the roof to create a vacuum in the cab that draws the air out. By the time I was ready to try it, I didn't need it.

If you want to spend a lot of pennies, get the long travel- the tires set so far out that the dust is a non issue. Of course, I don't really mean this as a real option. But it is what cured my dust issues. Previously, I found dirt/gravel roads the worst. The dust would suck up and in from the floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts