Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IT IS ALREADY THREADED 2012-02-05%2016_55_17.jpg solution for the wcd going on crank. How hard would it be to make a nut with splines on the outside and screw it on the crank to make it have a big surface of splines where it would be harder to strip out. Adam said that the wcd bearing has splines all the way down the bearing. So it would almost double the contact surface. Are there any machinists out there that can make a nut that is as hard as the crank.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
That sounds good but good luck getting the extended splines of the "nut" aligned with the factory splines on the crank and the "nut" tight at the same time.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i mentioned it to adam he said that was a good idea.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sounds good but good luck getting the extended splines of the "nut" aligned with the factory splines on the crank and the "nut" tight at the same time.
you just put some lock-tite on it and tighten it up til they line up . Then slide the wcd on it . Fixed the problem

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
somebody will get it figured out. more than one way to skin a cat clutch:cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
adam has a call in to artco to see if cranks are made of softer material than a t kitty or older prowler those cranks are forged i hope they are we will know in few days the forged cranks in those have handled 100horses all day long I'm hoping they are so he can do my wcd

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
adam has a call in to artco to see if cranks are made of softer material than a t kitty or older prowler those cranks are forged i hope they are we will know in few days the forged cranks in those have handled 100horses all day long i'm hoping they are so he can do my wcd
yes i know he told me the same thing. That sucks.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
you just put some lock-tite on it and tighten it up til they line up . Then slide the wcd on it . Fixed the problem
Doing that means the loctite is now a shear resisting force, its abilities for that are super low in the scheme of things. The original wet clutch is splined and then held on by a very large nut so that there will be no movement between the splines. I would like a WCD design that incorporates the same thing. Maybe its not needed and this was a one time event in the history of time, but I would still prefer the splines on the crank ONLY deal with straight rotation like splines are supposed to and no other forces.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
From the first time I heard of the "WCD" I understood the rational... reduce weight on the crankshaft, eliminate clutch "slippage" and get the power to the ground!!! How can a person argue with that? I'm wondering if the way it's being done doesn't introduce other issues? The wet clutch does add weight and is responsible for some HP loss, but because it is a centrifugally actuated and friction driven I think it does have the positive effect of "dampening" engine harmonics. Does eliminating the wet clutch, and adding a rigid adapter/extension amplify the harmonics? It sure can't dampen them. Maybe a harmonic balancer of some type should be used in it's place. The splines also have disadvantages. Their great for transmitting power, but not really meant for the purpose of locating rotating assemblies. A taper with a single key can locate both radially and longitudinally with much greater accuracy.... aka balance. I think the solution to the WCD is to add to it!!! I'm gonna try replacing my wet clutch with a hydraulic clutch, like you would find on a manual transmission. I want to be the one to engage the clutch, I want to be able to feather it if I want or I can dump it if I want.... that's my .02

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It looks like the splines weren't fully engaged. Only about 65% of it (just a SWAG) was engaged, and the rest look untouched. I also wonder why the outer splines look like they're two pieces, can't the out splines be made of a one piece design?

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As i said not either splines on crank and in the bearing of the wcd. Add a nut on end of the crank WITH SPLINES and fix the wcd bearing where they go all the way to the end with no separation. You would have almost two inches of splines.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
WTF the WCD is not utilizing all of the splines on the crank????? Does the original wet clutch have splines all the way through like I would suspect or is it seperated in the middle like that? If not no wonder it stripped them down it looks like around 25% of the splines no longer carry any load. If it was rated for 100 horses it dropped to 75 right then.

I haven't seen the Arctic Cat wet clutch so I am postulating but in a Yamaha the wet clutch splines are continuous all the way through and completely cover the crankshaft splines. Is the Arctic Cat wet clutch the same? Surely it is and why wouldn't it be?????

Where is a pic of the Arctic Cat original wet clutch splines?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You may as well put the pic back up Rabbit I found a pic of the Arctic Cat wet clutch and as I would have thought it has splines all the way through. I am not at all surprised now what happened to you.

Clutch_003.jpg

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
594 Posts
Just wondering what is wrong with the original clutch? Does it ingage to slow, slip to much ? If it were wearing out to fast I would understand it needing replaced, but a lot of other problems seems to me could be fixed with different engagement springs or weights at a fraction of the cost of replacing the clucth. I would like to save my clutch money to apply on a turbo if I can. I certainly don't understand enough about the problem to know anything for sure, but just wondering?

·
Registered
124 Posts
WTF the WCD is not utilizing all of the splines on the crank????? Does the original wet clutch have splines all the way through like I would suspect or is it seperated in the middle like that? If not no wonder it stripped them down it looks like around 25% of the splines no longer carry any load. If it was rated for 100 horses it dropped to 75 right then.

I haven't seen the Arctic Cat wet clutch so I am postulating but in a Yamaha the wet clutch splines are continuous all the way through and completely cover the crankshaft splines. Is the Arctic Cat wet clutch the same? Surely it is and why wouldn't it be?????

Where is a pic of the Arctic Cat original wet clutch splines?
Tx, you may have just solved the mystery.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts