Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, yes its my first post but I've been reading this forum since it was first launched. As a rule I don't like these forums as people tend to act like children and repeat what they read without much real knowledge. I will say however, that most of the regulars on here seem like good guys with just a few silly ones. SO I decided to share some info with you. Not claiming to be anybody special. Just some info you can take or leave.

I own an AC dealership. We sell other brands too. I have lots of East coast/woods/mountains seat time in RZRs, including XP 900s. I love what RZRs are capable of, especially the XP but quality (aside from the Fuji engines) is poor. Anyone who has ridden both and is objective will admit that the Cat is a game changer. Even if the XP proves a little quicker the Cat suspension is vastly superior.

I don't know squat about sand, and don't pretend to.

I was lucky enough to get a fair amount of seat time in a pre-production unit without being limited by the AC guys. We now have a production unit on our showroom but just got it today. No ride yet. Here is what I can tell you:
  • There is very little visibly different from the demo units. In fact the only thing I noticed was a new trim piece on the doors.
  • There is no passenger handhold beyond the one on the door.
  • These machines have to have a PIN number input into the computer system when they are sold. With an incorrect PIN they will not rev over 4500 RPM. I suspect the severely choked down demos had this issue.
  • They do have and will continue to have a wet clutch. You guys gotta let this go. This isn't a bad thing. It is superior in many ways to the design in the RZRs. For one you get engine braking at all speeds. For rock crawlers and mountain riders engine braking is a big deal. The VAST majority of owners will be fine with the clutch setup. In absolutely extreme, high boost applications you may slip it but otherwise it is a good design. Off-idle engagement is also much smoother with a tensioned belt design.
  • It has one throttle body. However, the intake manifold is significantly changed from the one on the XTZ and in the ATVs. It is a one piece aluminum design, not split like others.
I will try to add more tomorrow.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for all of the information!

The PIN is something I hadn't heard before, but there still seems to be information hanging out there that the showroom models that have already shipped are based on the demo units and that the true "production" models may have some changes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome and thanks for your input. Looking forward to more. I can't even get my dealer to answer my emails about when he'll get his demo in.

Any thoughts about how this engine will do with a reflash in terms of low end torque and top speed?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thanks Clue it all helps. We are just like rabid dogs foaming at the mouth here! Rubber all we can do is wait until they get here. Until then its just more forum funtime.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, thanks for the input.

Hopefully they at least fixed some quality issues. We saw issues with broken trailing arms and wheels. I could understand why they wouldn't though as it's always risky to make last minute production changes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the new info.. It is always apreciated. We have all been waiting for confirmation like this. And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
cluelessrookie said:
OK, yes its my first post but I've been reading this forum since it was first launched. As a rule I don't like these forums as people tend to act like children and repeat what they read without much real knowledge. I will say however, that most of the regulars on here seem like good guys with just a few silly ones.

I hope I qualify as a good guy but also one of the "just a few silly ones " :jester:

Don't any of you ever take me too seriously, its all in an effort to further the sport and knowledge of the sport and none of the debates no matter which side is taken are ever truly personal. :swordfight: :croc:

By the way, some of you taste like chicken. Just sayin.

:essen:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is there any real truth to the demo units being "chocked down"...If these things beat the XP's from the factory, Arctic Cat's sales will double.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for all of the information!

The PIN is something I hadn't heard before, but there still seems to be information hanging out there that the showroom models that have already shipped are based on the demo units and that the true "production" models may have some changes.
i wonder if that is true, our dealer said he would give us the first one, but i dont want it if it isnt the acuall production model

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
i wonder if that is true, our dealer said he would give us the first one, but i dont want it if it isnt the acuall production model
The floor models are "production" models they are the very first units down the production line so that Arctic Cat can shake out production line bugs so that the real consumer model production will run smoothly and the product will be as high of quality as possible.

Now, there CAN be some obvious flaws in getting one of these, but overall it is the same machine that is going to be mass produced for the final consumer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK got to check it over a little more this AM. Here are some additional tidbits.

• There is no bar that you could safely put harnesses on alone. However remember you do not have to have a bar, just a mount. You could weld tabs below the radiator plastic. I spoke with the Pro Armor boys last week and they will have one next week. Sounds like they will be all over a bolt in harness mount in short order.
  • Like all other big bore cats the timing is very retarded under 5mph. Above 5 it is like you flipped the NOS switch. They do that to reduce shock on the drive train and reduce potential for a machine getting away from a beginner. I suspect that while a reflash by the pros out west will not likely add a ton of peak horsepower they can likely add timing off idle which will make the bottom end feel a lot more aggressive. Where an XP is going to jump it is right out of the hole. At top speed I suspect the cat will be faster but can't confirm that yet.
  • Shift out is set up at 7000 RPM which feels about right. This is the RPM at which the clutching holds the engine while it shifts through its range.
  • It hits the rev limiter at 7500 RPM. Don't have enough room here to do a top speed run but that should be good for 75ish. I wouldn't be stunned to see 80.
  • I hear a rumor that donuts on dry blacktop are no problem at all :cool:
We are in the great state of Kentucky for whoever asked.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I am guessing that any changes from the demo units we saw won't be implemented until the 2013 models come out. I heard rumor that they are having a hard time with a grab handle that doesn't infringe on Polaris' patent. This stuff takes time to sort out legally. I would look for several changes to the 2013 model. Hopefully it is available in the early fall. If so, I just may wait................

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I am guessing that any changes from the demo units we saw won't be implemented until the 2013 models come out. I heard rumor that they are having a hard time with a grab handle that doesn't infringe on Polaris' patent. This stuff takes time to sort out legally. I would look for several changes to the 2013 model. Hopefully it is available in the early fall. If so, I just may wait................
That is about word for word my thought on the matter. It would likely pay off to be patient on this one. Not sure I'm that guy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts