Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the King of the Hammers race, which is awesome! If you've never been, it's an entire city of over 20,000 offroad, rock crawling fanatics that gets built in the middle of Johnson Valley, which includes dry lake beds, tight trails, canyons and steep rock crawling sections. The closest thing I can compare it to is a triathlon for rock crawling trophy trucks. They call them "Ultra4" and they can run at speeds of 120 mph in the open, and crawl over boulders and each other in the tight spots!

Anyhow, I arrived Thurs. evening, too late to see the UTV races, but some friends had been there all week and they said a production Wildcat placed 2nd. One of my buddies videotaped a Wildcat rock climbing (not in the race) and he said it just floated right over the rocks and rocketed right up the side of the hill, while Rzrs were slowly trying to pick the smoothest line.

Here is JoeyD's account of it:

2nd place overall would go to first time King Of The Hammers UTV racer Todd Stephensen in his 2012 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000. Not only was it Todd's first KOH but it would also be the first KOH for Arctic Cat's new platform. It was one heck of a coming out party for this combination of man and machine. Reason being is Stephensen was competing in the Production 1000 class meaning he started behind all of the Unlimited 4 cars. By the time the racers would hit the big rocks of Elvis Todd and his Wildcat would be running a few minutes behind Guthrie in 2nd place. The brand new team would push hard trying to reel in Guthrie but unfortunately would run out of time. In the end Stephensen would still find himself a winner of the Production 1000 class and title of being the first Arctic Cat Wildcat to finish a King Of The Hammers race.
Considering he's a first timer, in a production vehicle, that's an outstanding achievement!!

While I was standing around the campfire that night, I ran into an old friend of mine, Andrew Buck, of Buckshot Racing. He also builds Buckshot Bullets, a $35,000 sidexside that uses a full tube chassis and an Ecotech engine and VW transaxle. He had been driving a Wildcat demo unit for quite a while, and he told me a couple of things that he thought about it.

1. "This will be the one to beat in the next year! Amazing suspension, great solid chassis!"

2. "I don't know how they can build it with so many features - full tube chassis, electronic power steering, great suspension, great shocks, LED lights, paint job, etc. for such a low price!"

A couple of people told me they heard a couple of racers claim that they didn't like it, but everyone there who was driving one (I counted 4 that I saw) said they loved it. I'm thinking that the guys who didn't like them were talking about the demo models they drove, which had such deceptively smooth power delivery and such a smooth ride you really were fooled into thinking you were going a lot slower.

I've only driven mine 2.1 mi in downtown Tucson traffic, so I really have no driving impressions to speak of, but in 40 mph traffic, I had to keep pulling my foot off the throttle to keep it down to 40 mph. It kept wanting to creep up on me and go faster, and I had no sensation of speed, just driving along with the other traffic.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Socal, wtf are you doing driving a Cat on the road in traffic? Is that legal in AZ?

It is if you have a street license plate on it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can get a plate on anything in AZ haha. I wish it was the same out here. A friend of mine has one of the first Bullets with an Aprilla motor in it. It is a sweet ride.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wonder how the rzr guys are liking the fact that the wildcat beat the xp in the 1000 production class?:eek:wned2:

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Why would anyone care, since an XP won the whole thing. Second place is just the first loser, can't take it away from anyone that an XP won the overall.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dont you think a machine running a modified class should be beating something in the production class? If it doesnt matter than why even have different classes?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I drove my cat all over maricopa going from place to place. They don't care as long as you give them money lol. We went to pizza hut for lunch it was fun watching people drool over the cat ;p

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
The XP was in the modified class but it was just as near stock as the Wildcat was, he was smart enough to enter the modified class so that he wouldn't be running in the dust behind a bunch of other machines and started in 4th position. So simply saying it was in the modified class gets you nothing, the Wildcat could have also run in the modified class and IF he had perhaps he would have won, but he didn't so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The XP was in the modified class but it was just as near stock as the Wildcat was, he was smart enough to enter the modified class so that he wouldn't be running in the dust behind a bunch of other machines and started in 4th position. So simply saying it was in the modified class gets you nothing, the Wildcat could have also run in the modified class and IF he had perhaps he would have won, but he didn't so it doesn't matter.
In light of what I saw, the Cat would have defenitly won.

Since the Xp got a better pole pole position and the cat had to battle it way through 35 other cars, and taking into account that there was only a 3 Min separation between first & second place, it stands to reason that the cat would have won if they would have started together.

I do not own either machine & I'm still trying to decide on which one to get, but @ this point I am leaning toward the cat unless I start seeing negitive reviews, then it will be the Xp all the way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts