Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K-Aus Designworks says their carrier bearing is out of stock on their website, and I'd like to get mine replaced soon. Are their any other sources out there for a greasable carrier bearing? I know I can do the grease needle thing on any bearing, but I'd prefer one with a grease fitting as long as I'm going to the trouble to replace it. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's what I thought, there's nothing else out there.

But.... They do make greasable self-aligning bearings just like what is standard in the Trail.

First question: Does the bracket that holds the OEM bearing in place come apart so that just the bearing can be taken out and replaced?

Second question: Can anyone give me the ID, OD, race width, and overall width of the OEM bearing so that I can research a greasable replacement?

I'm thinking if the bearing mounting bracket can be taken apart (It looks like it does in the photos I've found), I can drill it and add a grease fitting to that, making my own greasable carrier bearing.

If anyone has an old bearing laying around that can help me out I'd appreciate it. If I can make this work I'll gladly share the info and make up a "How-to" forum post when I'm finished!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The bracket that holds the carrier bearing unbolts and the bearing is left on the shaft. It would be possible to drill a hole in the bracket that is large enough to allow access to a grease fitting on the bearing. I tried to do that a month ago, but couldn't get a cobalt drill bit to even scratch the carrier bearing. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Use a carbide drill but even if you drill a hole in a bearing (seems like a bad idea) you'll never be able to tap it to install a grease zerk.

Reactions: 70Bones

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the carrier bearing out of my machine yesterday (It was definitely shot!), and I located and ordered an SB206 bearing that's pre-drilled so it can be greased. As soon as I receive it, the next step will be to drill the bearing bracket and adapt a grease fitting that will line up with the grease hole on the bearing. Fingers crossed, hoping I can make this work.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.... As it turns out, the bearing I ordered is literally on a slow boat from China and won't be here until the end of May. I bought an All Balls aftermarket bearing and installed that, because I want to ride now. Turns out that the bearing in the All Balls part is greaseable, but it appears that the bearing has to float in the bracket to make it self-aligning, so my idea of drilling the bracket for a grease fitting probably wouldn't work anyhow. The OEM bearing lasted six years, and the first few years were a lot of mud running. The All Balls unit has much better seals, so hopefully it lasts a long time. Even if it doesn't, now that I've replaced one, the job isn't that hard to do.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Just grease it prior to install and then yearly, you should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts