Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I used to work in Autolite r&d and did a ton of competitor plug testing for benchmarking and new plug design.

First off a gimmick plug is always going to be a gimmick. E3s came out when I was there so obviously with Autolite still owning the IP on the Split fire plug we were interested in the claims. Bottom line was the plug gap grew terribly in wear tests due to the extremely low quality and soft material they used for the ground strap. Second off they offered no performance gain. Autolite had several engine dynos running 24/7 and these plugs did nothing positive.

The only REAL way to gain performance with a spark plug is by going to a fine wire center electrode. This makes the spark more concentrated and it resists misfiring and fouling a lot better than a standard plug. It also allows you to run a slightly larger gap which can aid in flame front growth when compared to a plug with a standard electrode. Will you notice a HP gain? Probably not.

No, iridium plugs don't run hotter. Common misconception. Yes you can run them with nitrous or forced induction. It actually helps because the more concentrated spark aids in not getting spark blowout.

In my opinion, NGK or Denso are the highest build quality. Autolite XP is a close third and Champion is last. I'd run an Autolite or NGK iridium plug if it was my choice. Especially considering the Wildcat has been known to foul plugs.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
In my first 2 stroke I carried 2 or 3 extra Champion plugs 'cause they fouled all the time. That was why I started using NGK for almost everything. That being said, my lawn tractor runs on Champion, and that same plug has been in there around 12 years. Go figure.
Yeah 2 strokes especially can benefit from iridium tipped spark plugs. I noticed this immediately in my old Banshee days when I said "screw it, I'm getting the expensive plug!" and never changed it again lol

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Nice cross referencing...thanx for posting that. What does the 'A' mean on the IU24A? Is that the Alumina powder coating they talk about? Jus wondered what the diff is.
The A is for the "angled" race cut ground strap. I pointed at the difference:
Auto part Metal Spark plug Screw Brass

The angle cut ground strap is thought to promote a better flame front but as seen as not as long lasting due to the eventual edge erosion that happens from the plug sparking directly to where the corner is. All of the Autolite Racing plugs are built this way.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
So far ,,,, ill buy another set of brisk plugs. They r noticeably more effective. Ive waisted alot of cash trying all the hype on plugs. This is the only one ive found to be noticeably different. Ill buy a set for my mudrace truck to.
Hey I'm glad to hear you're having success!

What do you notice different about them?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I think I will be trying the NGK CR8EIX next plug change, they have the same specs and that is what I use in raptor.
Only problem with that spark plug is that its not a projected tip. I did some research comparing whats out there vs what we need and there isn't a perfect match from NGK in their iridium tipped line.

The problem with not having a projected tip is that the spark plug actually sits further away from the combustion chamber. The heat range and compatibility is still equal, but it may not give the best performance.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The fine wire electrode can fire at a lower voltage, all else being equal. That would permit a slightly larger gap, which might help with lean misfire due to a cold engine or sharp throttle increase. A bigger gap and improved flame front profile might reduce octane demand a little. Platinum electrodes will hold a gap setting. Iridium? What does it offer?
From what I recall the iridium tip is an alloy mixed with platinum and rhodium. The biggest advantage of it is its anti-wear properties that aid gap longevity. Gap growth is incredibly low even after a 100k mile simulated dyno test. I actually came across an old flash drive that had some test photos on it, but I probably wont post those. The gap growth was literally non-existent on an Autolite XP plug whereas the Denso plugs ground strap wore down. Not so important on a SXS though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts