Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd try my hand at making my own speaker pods for the front. I figure if I can build something instead of buying it and save money, why not right? Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Lumber
Table Wood Tool
Games

·
Registered
756 Posts
Did you apply any layers of fiberglass mat over the cloth?

I use calking or liquid nails along the inside edge to bond the fiberglass to the plywood, as the wood expands from getting wet they can separate and rattle.

Mixing bondo filler with your fiberglass resin will give you a thicker 2nd coat and makes it easier to sand than just the hard resin.

Looks good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I didn't use any matting over the cloth but I did on the back side and wrapped it around the edge to fully seal them. I should have them finished tomorrow. The humidity didn't want to cooperate so I didn't put much hardener in the putty, so I'll let them set overnight before sanding and painting.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Looking good!!! Better then paying SSV $200 for them. I used a PVC set up and sounds pretty good with the low CF for my Polks but yours has plenty of air volume and will sound great. I am working on my own build for a subwoofer behind the glove box after your post and watching Youtube vids on how to build a fiberglass enclosure. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Started on a mold for the rocker area beside the drivers seat. Once I get some more materials well see how this turns out for a 8 inch sub. Might work, might not, who knows lol
Yeah I thought of trying to squeeze a sub in that empty space but just don't think there's enough volume to be had. The box Im working on should have .60cf of volume which is good for a sealed enclosure. I just ordered the 8" rings of ebay as I don't have rotor saw to cut perfect circles. I wanted to try and go with a 10" but it would just be too tight as the cage is in the way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Started on a mold for the rocker area beside the drivers seat. Once I get some more materials well see how this turns out for a 8 inch sub. Might work, might not, who knows lol
I would totally buy a pair of those from you, as I DETEST working with fiberglass. I have 2 Rockford Fosgate 8" tower speakers and 2 kick panel pods with Infinity 6.5's and the system is crying for some more mid range and low end.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would totally buy a pair of those from you, as I DETEST working with fiberglass. I have 2 Rockford Fosgate 8" tower speakers and 2 kick panel pods with Infinity 6.5's and the system is crying for some more mid range and low end.
Nice work. You could also try to use these. Total cost about $5.00 from Home Depot or Lowes. You can trim to fit most
spaces and cut the opening to fit a 6.5" speaker. I have these in mine with Rockford Fosgate speakers. I pop riveted the back to the kick panels by your feet. Keep the speakers dry and clean and the sound isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I made a set out of the roof flashings and they basically sucked IMHO. The sound quality was ok at first. After awhile I started to here the sound of what I thought was blown speakers. As it turns out it was the speaker pods resonating and making the sound. The speakers were fine and I ended up buying a pair of the SSVs off ebay. Of course they were no bargin either as they say there are for 6" speakers. I would like to know what brand they modeled them after as I had to buy adapter rings for them to work with the 6" Fosgates.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Nice work....looks good....I'm wanting to try my hand at building some for the under roof for some 6.5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice work. You could also try to use these. Total cost about $5.00 from Home Depot or Lowes. You can trim to fit most
spaces and cut the opening to fit a 6.5" speaker. I have these in mine with Rockford Fosgate speakers. I pop riveted the back to the kick panels by your feet. Keep the speakers dry and clean and the sound isn't too bad.

Dude, this is brilliant! I’m so pissed that I didn’t think of it. I built custom car stereos for almost 2 decades. I’ve built countless fleece and resin stretched over frame “volcanoes” over the years. Some of which I spent dozens of hours on. I’m a contractor now and I’ve bought plenty of these while doing roof vent repairs but never even put the two ideas together. It had been a minute since I stretched some fleece until last week I decided I wanted to put a 10” screen in the dash of my 1000 4x. Came out pretty good but time consuming it was. Phase 2 was for some pods to house some components. I was going to wait a few weeks before I dove head first into that project but this little jewel will make it so much easier. Gotta love abs plastic and a heat gun!!
Thanks for the inspiration. I’ll be sure to credit you when I’m done and post pics!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts