Wildcat Forum banner

SpeedCat 77. All the Answers and Facts from Baja

Tags
speedcat77
19K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  mgrotel 
#1 · (Edited)
Answers to all your questions. Facts from Baja, Team interviews, and Score Tech.

How did the SpeedCat77 pass Score tech.
Answers from Art at Score tech. It met all the Score Rules.
The car goes beyond the Score Safety Regulation and is FIA legal.
Score is concerned with vehicle safety first and foremost.
All 3 race cars went through the Score Annual vehicle inspection, and race day compliance.

All 3 cars needed numbers added to roof and running lights wired to ignition to pass tech, otherwise they met Score Pro Forced induction class rules and are legal. These updates were done prior to the race and were the hold up at the starting line. Lights were not wired correctly. Cars were not allowed to start the race until they were wired correctly. This made all three SpeedCat's leave the start line almost 25 minutes after there official start time.

Todd came through the field of class 5, class 11, and both UTV classes working his way up to 4th on the road and first in corrected time in the first 100 miles, after starting with a 25 minute delay.

Is it the new Arctic Cat?
Announced By Robby Gordon at tech inspection durning Baja 1000
Yes and No.
It is a purpose built Race car, that is based off of the new vehicle platform, Just like any other car racing today. This vehicle will be available through the Arctic Cat Dealers and Robby Gordon Motorsports Directly.
Cars can be ordered today. There is 3-4 month lead time do to demand.
Reach out to Robby Gordon Motorsports if you want to get on the list.
You are buying the future of UTV racing, be patient and get on the list if you want a Robby Gordon built Race Car.
Or you can order the new base platform car from Arctic Cat after the dealer show and make it race legal with your own parts and fabricators. These cars will meet all BITD rules. It is a production car that is modified like any other factory produced car to meet class rules.

Just like any Race UTV plan on 100k race ready and with spares.

It can be ordered in normally aspirated or turbo configuration to meet the different sanctioning body rules.
The car can come is 64 or 77 wide.

Who is MPI and why were they referenced. MPI is Max Pappas Industires. MPI make the New Speed Steering Wheel that was used on the SpeedCat 77. Not Mountain Performance.

This is an Arctic Cat factory motor, turbo,ECU, clutch and belt. This was done to meet all class rules.
Black Diamond Extreme did all the clutching, do to increased tire size and weight of vehicle.
Details of clutch spec was not released.

The bodies are the new factory bodies. The only aftermarket panels were at the doors, do to Score cage and door rules, the factory doors could not be used.

Todd was seen drag racing a Supercharged 2016 Toyota TRD Pro, and beat it to 100 mph. The cars are the fastest UTV by a long shot. This was in stock motor configuration. No additional fuel mapping, or ignition was done to the motor. Also no internal work was done to the motor or combustion chamber. The cars were raced on Mexico Pump gas.

Race Cars come with King Internal By Pass Coil Over shocks.
15 inch KMC Wheels
The new Race Spec Tensor 15x33 Tire

Zero Cooling issues reported. Cars did not run thermostats,
radiator is upfront, intercooler and oil cooler were mounted behind seats.

Rear micro stubs were the only issues experienced in Baja. The cars otherwise were perfect.
They choose to only run 1 car after all 3 cars experienced the micro stub issue. Todd'car finished the entire race but was given a DNF do to not meeting the max time allowance.

The cars ran a spare alternator on the drive shaft. This is not a factory production part. The cars were never tested in 4wd on the pavement. The first 5 miles of the race are mostly pavement with speeds averaging 80-90 mph. The cars can do over 100 mph and the alternator adapter stripped the splines that was mounted inline on the front drive shaft, losing all drive to the front diff and causing the cars to run in rear wheel drive only. The additional load on the rear micro stubs from the lack of 4wd caused the micro stub to fail. If this part had not been used the cars would have run a flawless race. A new part is being designed by Robby Gordon Motorsports. This was not an Arctic Cat designed part, but was necessary to run an auxiliary alternator due to the increased lights and electronics.

Costly and Unfortuante learning experience.

Why did cars smoke.
Intentionally overfilled Dry Sump tanks due to length of race. Smoke was excess oil burning off.

Sorry for the one and done post. Happy holidays. You will see more in the week to come.

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice write up, and information.

#6 ·
Thanks for the great info. I hope the radiator up front is just for the race cars and not the production models it doesn't work very well here in the mud.

Reactions: TNWildcat78
#7 ·
Great info,enjoyed reading it.....

#11 ·
I don’t see why the rear micro stubs should fail because of not having 4wd … seems like that is old proven technology on many 2 wheel drive race buggys ??? Are these particular micro stubs a new design from Arctic Cat? :confused:

#15 ·
So anyone can order a car that will blow diffs because they can't handle the power?

Reactions: mgrotel
#16 ·
I was thinking they're gonna upgrade the Diffs.

#17 ·
Bet I could have found weak diff at my place and Arctic Cat wouldn't even have to pay me. I offer my services for free

#21 ·
Did you read the Baja thread where it was said they blew diffs?

#22 ·
Patrick, Patrick, Patrick,,, don't be such a skeptic, we didn't get to see the long laundry list of items that had to be replaced on the 1 CAT that finished the course, but it finished the coarse! I would like to know how the engine, transaxle, and belts held up, but probably won't get to find out. Stub shafts, any bodies guess on their failure? Sounds to me like they made a decision to finish the race and not destroy all three cars, economically a good decision being as far behind as they were. I'm pretty sure that entering three cars in the Baja 1000 is in fact, testing, testing, testing! The smoking, well, my son in law's brand new Yxz did the exact same thing at the dunes on its maiden voyage after going through some whoops the first time, couldn't see the dunes or the car, then it cleared up and ran like a champ the rest of the weekend.

#23 ·
But that's why I'm here. I'm a professional breaker of things so I'm a natural skeptic lol

#27 ·
Answers to all your questions. Facts from Baja, Team interviews, and Score Tech.How did the SpeedCat77 pass Score tech.Answers from Art at Score tech. It met all the Score Rules.The car goes beyond the Score Safety Regulation and is FIA legal.*Score is concerned with vehicle safety first and foremost.*All 3 race cars went through the Score Annual vehicle inspection, and race day compliance.All 3 cars needed numbers added to roof and running lights wired to ignition to pass tech, otherwise they met Score Pro Forced induction class rules and are legal. These updates were done prior to the race and were the hold up at the starting line. Lights were not wired correctly. Cars were not allowed to start the race until they were wired correctly. This made all three SpeedCat's leave*the start line almost 25 minutes after there official start time.Todd came through the field of class 5, class 11, and both UTV classes working his way up to 4th on the road and first in corrected time in the first 100 miles, after starting with a 25 minute delay.Is it the new Arctic Cat?*Announced By Robby Gordon at tech inspection durning Baja 1000Yes and No.It is a purpose built Race car, that is based off of the new vehicle platform, Just like any other car racing today. This vehicle will be available through the Arctic Cat Dealers and Robby Gordon Motorsports Directly.Cars can be ordered today. There is 3-4 month lead time do to demand.*Reach out to Robby Gordon Motorsports if you want to get on the list.You are buying the future of UTV racing, be patient and get on the list if you want a Robby Gordon built Race Car.Or you can order the new base platform car from Arctic Cat after the dealer show and make it race legal with your own parts and fabricators. These cars will meet all BITD rules. It is a production car that is modified like any other factory produced car to meet class rules.Just like any Race UTV plan on 100k race ready and with spares.It can be ordered in normally aspirated or turbo configuration to meet the different sanctioning body rules.The car can come is 64 or 77 wide.Who is MPI and why were they referenced. MPI is Max Pappas Industires. MPI make the New Speed Steering Wheel that was used on the SpeedCat 77. Not Mountain Performance.This is an Arctic Cat factory motor, turbo,ECU, clutch and belt. This was done to meet all class rules.Black Diamond Extreme did all the clutching, do to increased tire size and weight of vehicle.*Details of clutch spec was not released.*The bodies are the new factory bodies. The only aftermarket panels were at the doors, do to Score cage and door rules, the factory doors could not be used.Todd was seen drag racing a Supercharged 2016 Toyota TRD Pro, and beat it to 100 mph. The cars are the fastest UTV by a long shot. This was in stock motor configuration. No additional fuel mapping, or ignition was done to the motor. Also no internal work was done to the motor or combustion chamber. The cars were raced on Mexico Pump gas.*Race Cars come with King Internal By Pass Coil Over shocks.*15 inch KMC WheelsThe new Race Spec Tensor 15x33 TireZero Cooling issues reported. Cars did not run thermostats,radiator is upfront, intercooler and oil cooler were mounted behind seats.Rear micro stubs were the only issues experienced in Baja. The cars otherwise were perfect.They choose to only run 1 car after all 3 cars experienced the micro stub issue. Todd'car finished the entire race but was given a DNF do to not meeting the max time allowance.*The cars ran a spare alternator on the drive shaft. This is not a factory production part. The cars were never tested in 4wd on the pavement. The first 5 miles of the race are mostly pavement with speeds averaging 80-90 mph. The cars can do over 100 mph and the alternator adapter stripped the splines that was mounted inline on the front drive shaft, losing all drive to the front diff and causing the cars to run in rear wheel drive only. The additional load on the rear micro stubs from the lack of 4wd caused the micro stub to fail. If this part had not been used the cars would have run a flawless race. A new part is being designed by Robby Gordon Motorsports. This was not an Arctic Cat designed part, but was necessary to run an auxiliary alternator due to the increased lights and electronics.Costly and Unfortuante learning experience.*Why did cars smoke.Intentionally overfilled Dry Sump tanks due to length of race. Smoke was excess oil burning off.Sorry for the one and done post. Happy holidays. You will see more in the week to come.

Thanks, really enjoyed this post. Good to here they had basically with a 25 minute start delay had made it past 4th then had problems. Amazing feat with a new machine. Jmho

#28 ·
Forgive me but what are rear micro stubs

#31 ·
Reactions: thunder45
#32 ·
So an aftermarket adapter that goes between the transaxle and front differential couldn't handle the power the engine was able to put to the ground through the 33 inch tires on asphalt.

Front differential sounds legit if you think about it that way.

Not sure why micro stubs would fail with 200 hp and 33 inch tensor tires :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.