Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I want a little bit better low end power and don't know where to start does anyone recommend this clutch ? for the sand dunes and I thionk everyone knows what paddles I use

·
Registered
32 Posts
They are not selling clutch kits right now. Called last week and it sounds like they wont be available until spring.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Adam at airdam is supposed to be developing one right now. I spoke with him on the phone about it. It sounds like it's going to be a major improvement. I would really like to get one from him, however, it has been my experience with him that he is almost impossible to get a hold of. Even after leaving several messages time and time again with no response. I hate to spend the money on something I believe would be a great improvement and then have no support after the sale.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Call Jeff up at Dakota Performance. 701-452-4212, He will get you set up right..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you had a chance to try yours out with the STM clutches yet? I'm thinking about getting those for my X, want a little more bottom end for mine...

Doug

·
Registered
686 Posts
there is no clutch kit that you can put in the OEM clutch that will fix the stock clutches performance. the stock clutch wont backshift any better than the old wildcat clutches. they have to be replaced. i have tried every kit on the market in the OEM X clutch and you cant squeeze anything else out of the stock clutch. the STM complete replacement clutch or my new replacement (which is not available yet) is the only real way to get real performance.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
So your saying the new EPI kit will be a waste of time and money? What is the ETA on yours?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put on the epi kit last weekend couldn't t get Rpms up before now no problem better low end and back shifting big difference

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have the only speedwerx hypershift clutch kit for the x in existance in mine (my unit was used for clutching, blower setup, exhaust setup, fuel map, ecu flash etc), backshifting is awesome, I thought he was going to have them out last summer but he was having trouble getting weights done last I had heard.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have the only speedwerx hypershift clutch kit for the x in existance in mine (my unit was used for clutching, blower setup, exhaust setup, fuel map, ecu flash etc), backshifting is awesome, I thought he was going to have them out last summer but he was having trouble getting weights done last I had heard.
You SUCK!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
You SUCK!!!! :)
haha I'm lucky to have them so close , worked with them on sleds and now my wildcat and I cant speak highly enough for them. Jeremy and Steves son come to the races every so often and its pretty neat having someone like that with their experiance in your pit. Great group of passionate guys for the power sports industry.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i have read countless threads online on every make and model of machine made. i see people claiming after their certain clutch "kit" or "package" install they claim the backshifting is so NICE and CRISP and AWESOME. yet when i have tried those same calibrations, same clutch replacements, ect, i see terrible backshifting and poor performance. yet others will talk so highly about the performance. maybe i just have a different standard, or maybe those guys claiming their backshifting is so much better just dont actually know what backshifting is. i have often wondered how so many folks always claim their parts they installed cured all their ailments, and works so wonderfully. yet i cant get those same results out of the exact same parts. my backshifting is held to a high standard. its gotta completely backshift on its own, without letting out of the throttle, maintaining the same RPM across the tach while climbing, sand duning, full throttle in mud ect. i will not comprimise with any drop in shiftout RPM, or any laggy throttle. the kits wont allow that. once you finally start getting somewhere with the backshifting, you start over-revving with the stock clutch. and cant keep the RPM off the rev limiter off the line. i have tried all the kits, i have tried my own clutch with the stock secondary, changed springs and helix in the stock secondary. it just honestly wont backshift to suit my needs. i am glad you guys seem to be able to get something out of it. fortune46x, the words that came out of speedwerx mouth last august was "airdam you are wasting your time with the X you cant get anything else out of it, we tried and cant get good gains" so they decided to NOT come out with a kit. when a reputable clutch company walks away from a project because they can not get the needed gains to put out a worth while kit, then i would most definitely say that the stock clutch is garbage. thats why it has taken me SOOOO many months to get it all straightened out because the primary AND secondary needed to be replaced in order to get the gains that i felt are worth while. i spent a month working on the X when they first came out. i called up speedwerx trying to source different helix options, spring options, i ordered everything TEAM had as well. i tried making my primary work with the OEM secondary. it failed over and over and over. the closer you got to a good backshifting clutch setup, the more it over-rev'd off the line. i can assure you there is nothing on the market that can make a stock clutch operate to my standards. garbage is all that comes to mind when i think of the stock clutch.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i can assure you there is nothing on the market that can make a stock clutch operate to my standards. garbage is all that comes to mind when i think of the stock clutch.
and I'm sure Arctic Cat appreciates the kind words...:D Is it possible that the stock clutching as actually not to bad and that big gains simply can't be found with simple changes? That's my take from what Speedwerks had said. It makes perfect sense to shy away from pushing a product that will probably under-deliver when over promised. Adam, I would imagine that alot of the issues with clutching is related to friction in the helix's no matter what degree the ramp...would coating clutch components with something like a Hard anodizing offer anything. That or any of the many coatings now used on aluminum components?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
who did you talk to at speedwerx?

"Speedwerx, Inc. | Hypershift Clutch Kit | 2013 Arctic Cat 1000i HO WILDCAT X Hypershift Clutch "

They're taking backorders right now but will have the kits this spring.. call them if theres any doubt anyone that answers the phone can tell you this.

spring options have always been available in their h5 series since before the x was even announced, Team components were not available last april when the cat came out so when did you order them? To me making bold statements like""airdam you are wasting your time with the X you cant get anything else out of it, we tried and cant get good gains" so they decided to NOT come out with a kit." makes you sound like a competitor that has some sour grapes because you couldnt get it to work for yourself.. Sorry you don't like that someone maybe doing what you cant but that's the nature of the business. Theres a reason why Speedwerx does the clutching for Team arctics race program and is the in house mechanic (next to garth and kirk) to tucker...

as far as me "claiming after their certain clutch "kit" or "package" install they claim the backshifting is so NICE and CRISP and AWESOME." I've raced sleds for years, rode them for 26 years, I know what backshift is how it should respond and how a cvt should feel in a high performance situation , I wouldnt claim it helped if i didnt know 110% that it was true. and for you to say "yet when i have tried those same calibrations" You nor anyone on this forum has ever tried my setup , my setup is the only one out there from The guys at speedwerx for the wildcat X so how can you claim you've tried my speedwerx kit and I am wrong and it doesn't work?

Please let me know who told you "the words that came out of speedwerx mouth last august was "airdam you are wasting your time with the X you cant get anything else out of it, we tried and cant get good gains" so they decided to NOT come out with a kit. when a reputable clutch company walks away from a project because they can not get the needed gains to put out a worth while kit" as myself and the guys at speedwerx would like to know.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ok i have to ask. i have a 2014 WC X. i want to run paddles in the dunes. i was looking at the epi kit for the X. is there a better set up out there or should i just give up on paddles?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
As far as I know the only one on the market as of this point is EPIs. I spoke with them yesterday and they said it does make a big difference on the backshift and throttle response. They are a reputable company so all you can do is take a chance on it. I may just do that. I do not like the stock setup hitting real hard off idle then falling flat and not back shifting on hills quick enough.

·
Registered
808 Posts
We are an EPI Dealer and can order you up a kit. We have not personally used this kit yet, so I cannot comment on how it works.

PM for a price

Chris
Devious PowerSports

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
ok i have to ask. i have a 2014 WC X. i want to run paddles in the dunes. i was looking at the epi kit for the X. is there a better set up out there or should i just give up on paddles?
I run paddles on my X at the dunes with no clutch work done at all. Its all about getting the right paddles. Mine performs perfectly with the paddles I bought.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts