Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here and looking for honest answers please.

The wife and I went to purchase a used Can-Am Commander 1000 yesterday. We traveled 250 miles on way to get this 2016 at a great price and it was loaded up with options, took a drive on it and said NO Way can we drag this home and have fun on it. It was sooooo loud, and yet was completly stock. It was also very hot with the engine sitting right in the middle. We would have never had fun on it not being able to go down the road and communicate without yelling. Even at 20 MPH it was not going to be fun. We walked away from a really great deal on that one because it was so loud and hot.

Were coming off a pair of Honda Rincon 650's which are fairly quiet and they also keep the RPM and noise down well, pretty civilized the Rincons are. Am I going to need to get another Honda like a Pioneer, or is the Wildcat Sport fairly quiet? I'd like something a little more sporty than a Pioneer I guess. I had a 660 Grizzly and didn't like the noise it made with the CVT with RPMs up and exhaust noise, also steered so much harder than the Rincons. Don't want to spend 20K on a talon only to get used very little as I expect.

I have my eye on a couple of Sport Limited's, a 2015 and a 2016. Would the Limited's be quiet for the wife and I going down the gravel road, we'd like to put the dog in the back too so can't and won't have loud. Or do I need to look elsewhere? I'd like reliability, quiet and fun. We don't wear helmets either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not sure how loud or hot the Can Am is inside the cab but the Sport/Trail is a little on the noisy side IMO as well and have been known to be warm too. Many of us have put vents in the spark plug access cover which helps. I also have a Rhino and it is a fair bit quieter than my Trail.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Take them for a ride but to be honest anyone that says they're quiet is pulling your leg
huh? what? come again?...hard to read lips when your driving your rig...solution is a rugged radio intercom system via helmet or just plain headphones while wearing a baseball cap...

·
Registered
673 Posts
They ain't quiet, sport & trail lean towards irritating actually. I changed muffler, modified with a full turn down tip but yeah they are not quiet or a great tone. But they rip good, fit almost anywhere a quad can go and are plain fun. We wear helmets and the added tip helped with the tone a bit. By your comments and noise concerns, you should look elsewhere. Try one out or hear one running around.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Yeah I'll add to the honest assessments here. I have a 2014 Trail and from what I've gathered, nothing would lead me to believe anything has changed on newer models. They are very noisy and they get very warm inside the cab. I would never consider putting a dog in the back unless you want a "hotdog", because the heat created back there could be very dangerous to any pet. With all that said, I have almost 5,000 miles on mine and love it. I've done things to help mitigate the heat and noise, plus the wife and I are going to look into Rugged Radio headgear, so we can talk without shouting.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
our midnight edition ezryde exhaust with turn down tail pipe helped quell the beast so to speak in our since traded in 2016 trail se rig...didn't sound like a bunch of bees in heat any longer...much more pleasant sound...wish they'd come out with one for our xx...

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Which side-by-sides get warm in the cockpit has a lot to do with where the radiator is. The Wildcat 1000 or X has the radiator behind the cockpit. During early spring and fall rides in the cool Pacific Northwest, I'd actually like a little more heat!

As others have suggested, an intercom system is a really good investment. I balked at getting one (they aren't cheap), but it makes riding so much more enjoyable. One bit of advice: a friend talked me into buying two of the low-power radios with helmet kits (mic and speakers) to use as an intercom. We used it for a week before deciding it just wasn't a good solution. That friend also has a proper intercom now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is hilarious, too loud to talk to each other lol, do you guys whisper? I made my sport louder so it actually sounded good and still have no problems talking.... well as much as you talk while ripping, my buddy has a commander 1000 with muzzy exhaust and can talk just fine, you want quiet buy an electric golf cart and stick to the trails in retirement communities and whisper all you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
it's not the talking being the issue...for us old coots it's the hearing!...

·
Registered
401 Posts
All sxs are noisy and hot

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ridden in quite a few sxs and happen to think the sports are fairly quiet when modifications are done. I have lined my rear firewall and floor with the 7 mil foam silver insulation . Also wrapped my head pipe with titanium header wrap and had the heat shield recall done and it’s quiet and cool now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My 18 Sport with Cat still in it is a huge improvement in noise reduction compared to my 14 Trail with no Cat.
I also run 18" of flex pipe from the exhaust tip down to hitch area, that helps quite a bit to cut the noise.
With a full rear windshield & 1/2 front I had no heat issues with my Trail at all, now my new Sport has a mesh rear & a flip up front & the heat really seeps in with the front down.
I also ran a rubber flap under the seat to try to contain heat flowing from engine bay, it helped quite a bit but it's a hard area to seal off completely.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a 2015 wildcat sport limited. It is the first SXS I owned but I had ridden in several before. It is loud but not horribly hot. I changed to the EZ ryde muffler and added some extra heat barrier on the firewall. Both were an improvement over stock. It wasn't until I bought a yamaha x4 that I realized how nice it is to ride in a quiet machine. If you are truly looking for a quiet ride, give the wolverine x2 or x4 a look. We can cruise at 45 mph and converse and the heat is non existent. I am very impressed with this machine and find ourselves leaving the old wildcat at home instead of taking both machines, as originally intended.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The wife and I went to purchase a used Can-Am Commander 1000 yesterday. We traveled 250 miles on way to get this 2016 at a great price and it was loaded up with options, took a drive on it and said NO Way can we drag this home and have fun on it. It was sooooo loud, and yet was completly stock. It was also very hot with the engine sitting right in the middle. We would have never had fun on it not being able to go down the road and communicate without yelling. Even at 20 MPH it was not going to be fun. We walked away from a really great deal on that one because it was so loud and hot.

Were coming off a pair of Honda Rincon 650's which are fairly quiet and they also keep the RPM and noise down well, pretty civilized the Rincons are. Am I going to need to get another Honda like a Pioneer, or is the Wildcat Sport fairly quiet? I'd like something a little more sporty than a Pioneer I guess. I had a 660 Grizzly and didn't like the noise it made with the CVT with RPMs up and exhaust noise, also steered so much harder than the Rincons. Don't want to spend 20K on a talon only to get used very little as I expect.

I have my eye on a couple of Sport Limited's, a 2015 and a 2016. Would the Limited's be quiet for the wife and I going down the gravel road, we'd like to put the dog in the back too so can't and won't have loud. Or do I need to look elsewhere? I'd like reliability, quiet and fun. We don't wear helmets either.

I have a 2017 sport limited. tried one after market muffler. EZ ryder. sounds quieter on the youtube vid. "not so much" its not the dbl level of stock or the EZ muffler. it was the pitch for me, too high of pitch. i am a automotive tech of 25 years, I "know" this machine can be quieter. if we can hush a V8 engine. same can be done here. I went to local muffler shop to find a muffler.
they found a muffler same measurements as EZ ryder pipe i had on. chopped input flange off my stock muffler and installed on the new muffler, added proper hangers to hold muffler.
TA-DA.!.! the dbl is down and the pitch is lower . "Couldn't be more happy" cruise dbl is a lot better. still loud under hard acceleration, but not like it was before. shop charged me $200. it was cheaper than the EZ ryder muffler. Good Luck. Poky Cat

·
Registered
26 Posts
They ain't quiet, sport & trail lean towards irritating actually. I changed muffler, modified with a full turn down tip but yeah they are not quiet or a great tone. But they rip good, fit almost anywhere a quad can go and are plain fun. We wear helmets and the added tip helped with the tone a bit. By your comments and noise concerns, you should look elsewhere. Try one out or hear one running around.
What muffler with the full turn down? It was quieter?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I hung a 2' piece of flex pipe on the stock turn down muffler tip & wired the end to the frame down by the trailer hitch, it looks goofy but is considerably quieter than stack!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah the other day I was considering wearing ear plugs. My sport is all stock too. Prob going to be wearing an Mx helmet from now on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts