Wildcat Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm the third owner of my '15 Sport and somewhere along the line, a previous owner performed "surgery" on the stock muffler. I could look through it and see the spark screen and tip...completely hollow and very loud. I found an OEM replacement on Ebay from an '18 Trail, installed it and and happy with how much quieter it is. You guys running stock mufflers and complaining about noise should ride in one for a few hours with a hollowed out muffler lol. Ear plugs almost required.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Most of us prefer quieter, unfortunately stock mufflers with catalytic converters still in them produce a lot more heat that gravitates to the occupants. They are only a little louder with Cat removed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of us prefer quieter, unfortunately stock mufflers with catalytic converters still in them produce a lot more heat that gravitates to the occupants. They are only a little louder with Cat removed.
The previous owner of my machine must've removed the cat and muffler as the stock muffler is MUCH quieter. Heat will be an issue as I've noticed the cab gets much warmer than with the gutted exhaust.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The previous owner of my machine must've removed the cat and muffler as the stock muffler is MUCH quieter. Heat will be an issue as I've noticed the cab gets much warmer than with the gutted exhaust.
Try the DEI exhaust wrap. I did that on my wife's machine and she says the trunk on her machine is considerably cooler with the wrap than without.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try the DEI exhaust wrap. I did that on my wife's machine and she says the trunk on her machine is considerably cooler with the wrap than without.
Might have to do that. The header pipes are already wrapped (not sure if that's factory or not).

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Careful with wraps, depending on exhaust pipe material a wrap will sometimes rust a pipe away in quick order.
Just saw that on friends airplane, 1 yr after he wrapped it there were rust holes right thru it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Careful with wraps, depending on exhaust pipe material a wrap will sometimes rust a pipe away in quick order.
Just saw that on friends airplane, 1 yr after he wrapped it there were rust holes right thru it.
Good information, I'll keep my eye on the header pipe. If that rots, maybe it would be time for a Speedwerx header and Q6 muffler.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Good to know. I did take a steel brush to the header to get all of the crud off, then I painted the header with hi temp paint that you bake on in a series of heat cycles, then I wrapped the header and applied the DEI HT silicone afterwards which is also baked on in a series of heat cycles.

It took a little while to get it right but if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts