Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys please a little help. Built up the cat pretty good for long trips. Did a 3 night 4 day run in northern NH. Rear springs have almost failed down to 9” of spring length. Was reading up on the QA 1 spring change out to replace the stock coils. Need to advice on where to go. Stock rates 150 front 300 rear correct? How do you figure what rate is needed? Myself and wife 320 lbs combined spare tire rack with spare. 32” carnivore with beadlock. Tool box. Even added a roof rack for the long trips. With gear 60 lbs. I know I’m kinda pushing limits even with a 300 lb bed capacity.
Most of the riding is 25 to 35 mph at most on class six roads and then we have our awesome NH washed out stone laden trails that twist and turn that we ride at 5 to 15. They forums have some info, not a lot where should I start 150 front due to add ons? And stay at 300 for rear? Or should I up the rear but how will that affect ride? Or drop weight to help smooth out the slow bumpy stuff?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I went with 225lb rear springs on my Sport.
I now run way less preload, have more GC, & better ride.
I even removed my stabilizer bar & ride improved some more with no apparent loss of stability, at least for my riding style.
Wife & I probably run 360lbs+ but with not much else but a small cooler with drinks.
If you run heavy you might try 250lb but I think you might find it too stiff.

PM-coming

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would not go over 300 on the rear, going to a quality spring that holds it rating will be a big improvement. I also went to the 225 QA1 rear and left the front stock. we put 170 miles on it in one weekend and we weren't fatigued from the harsh ride of the stock set up. I no longer have a spring rate tester from my circle track days but I'm sure if you tested 10 different stock rear springs you would get 10 different rates. Picking spring rates can be tricky with out knowing your exact unsprung weight. But by going with the amount you have the 14" long travel QA1 250 rate would probably be a good start. They are relatively easy to change and surely cheap enough that you could by the 225 ones for when you are less loaded.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
For those interested in the 225lb Summit springs on the rear.
Stock I was running about 13" of ground clearance & found it rode quite rough.
When I installed the summit springs I tightened them to 12" compressed length about same as stock spring, I ended up with 15" of GC & a better ride.
When backed off to 12-3/4" compressed length I got 14" of GC with a ride improvement again.
Backed off to 13" of compressed length I had 13" of GC, this is where I'm leaving it for now, I have about the same GC on the front & the ride is quite a bit plusher than stock.
All length measurements were with machine on a jack with rear wheels off the ground & GC not measured until after a short ride to settle in.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
For those interested in the 225lb Summit springs on the rear.
Stock I was running about 13" of ground clearance & found it rode quite rough.
When I installed the summit springs I tightened them to 12" compressed length about same as stock spring, I ended up with 15" of GC & a better ride.
When backed off to 12-3/4" compressed length I got 14" of GC with a ride improvement again.
Backed off to 13" of compressed length I had 13" of GC, this is where I'm leaving it for now, I have about the same GC on the front & the ride is quite a bit plusher than stock.
All length measurements were with machine on a jack with rear wheels off the ground & GC not measured until after a short ride to settle in.
which springs did you put on the front and what poundage?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
which springs did you put on the front and what poundage?
Stock on front, I don't find them to bad, they've sagged a little & I kept tightening them up to 13" gc but they seem to have stopped sagging!
We'll see how they work out, at least they're not coil bound for almost 1/2 of they're length like the rear was :rolleyes:

9 Posts
I have a 2018 Wildcat sport XT 700 and it might as well have pipes instead of springs. Iv read through your comments about the springs that you replaced for just the rears. What I am looking for it's the softest Cadillac old boat kind of ride possible. I don't care if it can't handle high speeds very well. I would rather have a soft ride from 40km/hr and below... I see that one of you guys posted that you got the 225 and got a really nice ride, is there a softer spring that would improve the ride even more?

9 Posts
I call Arctic and they said that the rear spring rates are 165/135... Meaning the active coils ( botton ) and the coils that are touching ( top ) .... So I have concluded that if the bottom half of the rear springs are the only thing that is really doing any work and if they are rated for 165 than getting the 14" 2.5" dia. 175lbs summit springs should be what I need to get a plush ride.... Thoughts anyone? Note: I weigh 170lbs and maybe 50 extra lbs for those long rides

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds reasonable, the old Trail models were 145lb front & rear & rode well but rolled too much if you removed the sway bar. I prefer my Sport without the bar but still rides a little rough with either 200 or 225lb springs, I can't remember which I purchased. I know the springs are a bit hard for a plush ride but it could also be the shock valveing on the XT model which also seems too firm. Please keep me informed on how you make out, also is your a standard, XT or Limited, I think they all use different shocks which can play a big role.

9 Posts
Sounds reasonable, the old Trail models were 145lb front & rear & rode well but rolled too much if you removed the sway bar. I prefer my Sport without the bar but still rides a little rough with either 200 or 225lb springs, I can't remember which I purchased. I know the springs are a bit hard for a plush ride but it could also be the shock valveing on the XT model which also seems too firm. Please keep me informed on how you make out, also is your a standard, XT or Limited, I think they all use different shocks which can play a big role.
First let me start by saying we talked on the phone a few months ago and as you can tell by my post I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying the summit springs....
So taking what I have learned from you and other places I think the 175 lbs springs is what I need... I just got 4 30"x10"x12" ITP mud lites and run them at 5 psi and that has helped quite a bit for the rocks and exposed roots ex. but I feel like it could be better....so I'm still not sure whether to get the 175 or the 200' .... I feel that if I'm wrong about the 175 and I loose ground clearance then I'll be stuck having to crank them down so much that it will become stiff again or worse than it was with the stock springs......I hope someone else will see this post and give there experience as well like you did

9 Posts
First let me start by saying we talked on the phone a few months ago and as you can tell by my post I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying the summit springs....
So taking what I have learned from you and other places I think the 175 lbs springs is what I need... I just got 4 30"x10"x12" ITP mud lites and run them at 5 psi and that has helped quite a bit for the rocks and exposed roots ex. but I feel like it could be better....so I'm still not sure whether to get the 175 or the 200' .... I feel that if I'm wrong about the 175 and I loose ground clearance then I'll be stuck having to crank them down so much that it will become stiff again or worse than it was with the stock springs......I hope someone else will see this post and give there experience as well like you did
And just to make things even more complicated... Check this link out

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Those 140/250 springs may look good but my thinking is being only 10" in length as opposed to 14" you would be so quick getting to the stiffer rate you won"t have much sag & some sag is essential to let the suspension work some before the rate builds enough to become harsh.
I like the 175lb springs myself I'm 2nd guessing the ones I purchased & may go that route myself, but I'm also sure the shocks are to harsh.
Did you remove the stabilizer bar?

9 Posts
Those 140/250 springs may look good but my thinking is being only 10" in length as opposed to 14" you would be so quick getting to the stiffer rate you won"t have much sag & some sag is essential to let the suspension work some before the rate builds enough to become harsh.
I like the 175lb springs myself I'm 2nd guessing the ones I purchased & may go that route myself, but I'm also sure the shocks are to harsh.
Did you remove the stabilizer bar?
Yes the sway bar is removed...
I think I'm going to go with the 15 inch 175 lbs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts