Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have replaced starter 3 times, with the last one being the new heavy duty starter and idler gear. Was working great for 500 miles, now the gear did not break, it broke the case and outer cover now. Has anybody figured out a repair for this? It will cost $1400.00 for parts only. What I am afraid of, is this going to be a normal problem. Appears the heavy duty replacement parts worked but the case did not hold up. HELP?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
There have been a few threads. Member mgrotel comes to mind, he has or had this problem. Don't know if he got it figured out. PM him.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It is the one way bearing. Just be glad it broke the cover side and not the engine side like mine. I have a new bearing I could sell you.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
It is the one way bearing. Just be glad it broke the cover side and not the engine side like mine. I have a new bearing I could sell you.
Figured you would have the answer, Mike.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I think the warning sticker says to put in neutral before starting. I do it now just in case I rev it up in park. Done this a couple times.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The only time my machine sees Park is when it is off and is not rolling anywhere without the brake on. Even then, sometimes I just leave it in neutral. It is a habit now and not a big deal to me.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
Yeah, but I'm still not 100% sold on that. I almost always start in park, I don't rev it or anything, and I just take off. I know it states to start in neutral, most times I forget.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Yeah, but I'm still not 100% sold on that. I almost always start in park, I don't rev it or anything, and I just take off. I know it states to start in neutral, most times I forget.
It has become habit for me, climb in, left foot on brake, put in neutral, right foot on gas in case I need to bump the idle, start machine, put in gear. I used to start in park but then this just became habit for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mgrotel, is the one way bearing something would would be changed when you change the starter? Had the dealer tell me this weekend that my starter gear is going out from my machine not idling and dying often. When it would run for a just a minute it would kick back on the stater gear and probably wore on it from what he explained. Just wanting to make sure what all i need to replace when i do it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it took out the engine side also,the dealer never said anything about one way bearing being the issue. I always start in gear, is that causing a problem?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
it took out the engine side also,the dealer never said anything about one way bearing being the issue. I always start in gear, is that causing a problem?
Like I said, I don't think so, but the warning labels and manual tell you to start in neutral, so try to start it that way

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
mgrotel, is the one way bearing something would would be changed when you change the starter? Had the dealer tell me this weekend that my starter gear is going out from my machine not idling and dying often. When it would run for a just a minute it would kick back on the stater gear and probably wore on it from what he explained. Just wanting to make sure what all i need to replace when i do it.
The one way is not something normally changed when doing a starter, no. It is behind the flywheel and you need a flywheel puller to get at it. I went through this whole thing. I can't say 100% it is the one way causing this, but I am about 90% sure it is. My case busted before I changed the one way.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It probably starts normally sometimes, but others times you can hear gears banging when starting. Then when you turn it off, the gears bang really loud. That is when teeth break. I went through a ton of starters. One trip I was changing a starter in the field and then the next day I didn't turn the machine off because I didn't want to risk it.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It has nothing to do with how you are starting it. If the case side is broke too, how is the dealer planning of fixing that part without replacing the entire motor?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I think the problem is from it dying and kicking the starter back like it does. I know that is what causes issues on older high compression Harley motors. I cringe everytime I hear my wife starting it and letting it die several times hear the starter "clack".

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I think the problem is from it dying and kicking the starter back like it does. I know that is what causes issues on older high compression Harley motors. I cringe everytime I hear my wife starting it and letting it die several times hear the starter "clack".
If you hear that noise and it makes you cringe, there is a problem. Fix it before it gets worse, because trust me, it will. It should be no more than a little click when it kicks back. Mine turned into a bang. I promise you, if it is anything more than a small click, there is a problem.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yeah its not that bad and it has done it since It was new that I can remember anyway. I will pull it off and check it someday for sure....probably to fix it. lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Mine used to just click, which is the starter gears contacting each other as it kicks back. Then it got louder. To the point it sheared off starter teeth and starter gear teeth. So the dealers fix was a HD starter and gear. Banging continued, they told me to just run it, so I did, cringing everytime I started and shut it down. Banging continued till the next weak link broke which was where the case holds the starter gear dowel. You don't want it to get to that point. Not to mention once teeth are broken off, that is in your oil. I would definitely keep an eye on it. Good luck

1 - 20 of 54 Posts