Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
update, just talked to Arctic Cat consumer advocate, they are going to change the one way clutch this time and all the other parts that are broken. The AC tech says that it should have been changed the first time the gears broke. He also looking onto the 2016 X using a different starter and gears. My question was, what is causing these breakages?, they are not sure if its the one way clutch..... See what happens when I get it back. I will update the final outcome, in case somebody else runs into the same break down...

Good to know. I'll put that on our list too. Some other folks mentioned this too.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
update, just talked to Arctic Cat consumer advocate, they are going to change the one way clutch this time and all the other parts that are broken. The AC tech says that it should have been changed the first time the gears broke. He also looking onto the 2016 X using a different starter and gears. My question was, what is causing these breakages?, they are not sure if its the one way clutch..... See what happens when I get it back. I will update the final outcome, in case somebody else runs into the same break down...
So glad to hear it from the AC tech ... the use of one way bearings makes things sensitive ... things really need to turn ONLY in the right direction, by cracky! :rolleyes: (and if a single roller in the bearing gets dinged it many hang up some time)

Reactions: BMan

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 20014 1000X engine makes a nasty bang or whacking sound when I shut down. Do they all do this or am I at risk of breaking something too. If this is the case, mines for sale. No warranty and don't want a huge repair bill.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
My 20014 1000X engine makes a nasty bang or whacking sound when I shut down. Do they all do this or am I at risk of breaking something too. If this is the case, mines for sale. No warranty and don't want a huge repair bill.
I would change the one way bearing and wave washer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have a 2013 1/2 x like mgrotel. I started getting the hard bang on start and stop like he did (I ride with Mike and
got to hear it when he had the issue so I knew the sound). Fortunately was at end of day so I parked it. Going to use this thread to talk to AC. Will give update. Hopefully I caught it in time so no case damage. Didn't even start it to get off the trailer when got home.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just had this with my 2012 but the starter sounds like its rubbing metal while the starter is engaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did changing the one-way clutch really fix this? My 2014 X Limited took out the cases when it backfired I assume on shut off. I have it all fixed but it is clanking on shut down. I was planning on putting new spark plugs, spraying carb cleaner through the idle circuit, and if that doesn't fix it purchase a Dobeck fuel system with a O2 sensor to try and get it as close as I can to a 2016 fuel system. I never thought it would be an issue with the actual one-way gear since I assumed what was happening is the motor was backfiring at shut down and so engaging the one way clutch in the wrong direction. If the cutch engages, its working, cause that is what it is supposed to do right?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Did changing the one-way clutch really fix this? My 2014 X Limited took out the cases when it backfired I assume on shut off. I have it all fixed but it is clanking on shut down. I was planning on putting new spark plugs, spraying carb cleaner through the idle circuit, and if that doesn't fix it purchase a Dobeck fuel system with a O2 sensor to try and get it as close as I can to a 2016 fuel system. I never thought it would be an issue with the actual one-way gear since I assumed what was happening is the motor was backfiring at shut down and so engaging the one way clutch in the wrong direction. If the cutch engages, its working, cause that is what it is supposed to do right?
Not in our case but mileage may vary since we're also tuned pretty radically which increases the issue! The clanking you're hearing is the starter idler gears lashing together and the one-way clutch isn't stopping them from doing that. If you don't take care of it they'll end up chewing themselves up and/or breaking off. Either way you'll have a no start situation and if they break they could take the embossments in the aluminum casing with them since the cross pins connect that way. Ask me how I know! DOH! Yes the one-way clutch when working right is suppose to negate any backwards movement but if it doesn't work it won't and I'm not 100% convince it's a good design to stop it all.....again mileage may vary so hopefully others will chime in to help too. Our solution is and will be to replace the motor with a ZX1400 Kawasaki aka ZX 14R with well over 200 HP...yes that means a lot of changes other than that but it's a project we're planning right now... :) GL man!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So when its cranking and not starting I can hear it clanking, I actually thought that was it backfiring but you are saying that is a defective one way clutch?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Found this one-way clutch on eBay - Starter Clutch One Way Bearing Sprag for Arctic Cat 3402-457 0802-035 | eBay - for $33 definitely just replacing mine and starting there. On country cat its is over $200 so that's why I was nervous. No one is saying that the needle bearing is bad right? Just replace the one way clutch and the wave washer?
There is a testing procedure for checking the one way clutch. I'd recommend performing that before replacing parts. Search for it because my old brain hasn't worked on that motor for years.....the procedure is in the factory service manual. Personally I'd buy OEM parts if the one on EBay isn't. MLS Powersports has always treated us right so I'd call them for a price if you actually need one. Lastly, and the biggest thing is the caveat........with these things it's like calling the doctor and saying; my knee hurts what wrong with it. All us web wheelers can do is go off what you're describing and our experience but without seeing it, hearing it and such it's all just an educated guess from the screen. Again I'd try the test procedure.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts