Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think there might be an issue with the steering arms being in front of the A Arms protection wise? Sand I see is fine but what about rocks trees etc..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yup See What You Mean Are Kinda Sticking Out There Arnt They

·
Registered
157 Posts
One stump is all you need to ruin your day. OK for sand, not ok for woodland riding, same thing goes for the exposed CV boots. Gotta look at some added protection up front there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Now that I took a closer look, I think things are going to be bend real fast. As stated protection is going to be needed. Heck the only way your getting sand around here is in a bag.....lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are we going to protect them?

wildcat2.jpg wildcat13.jpg

I don't see where we will be able to install A arm guards like normal with the steering arms out front in the way. Thoughts?

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is a poor design on AC's part but I think you can still fasten the guards to the lower A arm, but they will have to be larger then normal in order to extend beyond the steering arm and over the outer boot. The guards would also have to be beefier then normal but will only offer limited protection. That's just my guess.

I am sure our vendors will come up with some options, it will be up to the riders to determine how much protection they will need. I do alot of off trail woods riding and find myslef hitting or getting hung up on hidden stumps alot, and bang rocks in washouts and boulder fields all the time, so I'll need al the protection I can get. Sand riders won't need as much, which is what this machine was obviously designed for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is a poor design on AC's part but I think you can still fasten the guards to the lower A arm, but they will have to be larger then normal in order to extend beyond the steering arm and over the outer boot. The guards would also have to be beefier then normal but will only offer limited protection. That's just my guess.

I am sure our vendors will come up with some options, it will be up to the riders to determine how much protection they will need. I do alot of off trail woods riding and find myslef hitting or getting hung up on hidden stumps alot, and bang rocks in washouts and boulder fields all the time, so I'll need al the protection I can get. Sand riders won't need as much, which is what this machine was obviously designed for.
Agree with you! this badboy was design for sand.... never the less i will take it to the trails

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I ride trails for about 1/2 of my riding. I have never bent an a-arm or tie rod in those conditions. I used to bend stock tie-rods on my Prowler every trip to the dunes though. But that was when I had to case the bottom of every hill with speed just to make it up. The suspension in this thing will eat that up. Plus, those tie rods look about twice as thick as the stock Prowler junk..................

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ride trails for about 1/2 of my riding. I have never bent an a-arm or tie rod in those conditions. I used to bend stock tie-rods on my Prowler every trip to the dunes though. But that was when I had to case the bottom of every hill with speed just to make it up. The suspension in this thing will eat that up. Plus, those tie rods look about twice as thick as the stock Prowler junk..................
I sure hope your right.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
It is not a spring LOL! But, if you do bend them you can straighten them out and use them, I bent one into a near "U" and was able to straighten it out and use it again until I got new ones.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
As a matter of fact he said it wants to go back to its original shape it but did not demonstrate it, and he was only talking about if it was "slightly deflected" that it would "want" to return back to its machined shape. What you want and what will actually happen often tend to be completely different things. I am not guessing about this, I have bent the Wildcat tie rods at least a half a dozen times and each and every time they remained bent and took a good bit of work to straighten out.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Are the stock tie rods 7075? They seem like a lesser grade, 6061 or similar. 7075 is very popular in the rock crawling and ultra 4 rigs. It holds up very well and is close in price to heat treated chromo.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have ripped the guts out of both the wildcats I have owned and not bent one. I also have not hit anything either... My thoughts are this.... Something has to be the first part to take an impact. on a wildcat its the tie rod. on a RZr is a headlight, plastic grill or if its low enough an A Arm. no matter what, if you hit something, something is bending or breaking. I prefer it to be a tie rod that I can try to adjust or bend straight to get home rather than an A Arm.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I have ripped the guts out of both the wildcats I have owned and not bent one. I also have not hit anything either... My thoughts are this.... Something has to be the first part to take an impact. on a wildcat its the tie rod. on a RZr is a headlight, plastic grill or if its low enough an A Arm. no matter what, if you hit something, something is bending or breaking. I prefer it to be a tie rod that I can try to adjust or bend straight to get home rather than an A Arm.
and I think your thoughts are shared by many in the off road community. Some have said it's "a poor design" not really.
A lot of offroad cars and buggies that have steering racks like the wildcat has, run a "front steer" set-up, the tie rod is ahead of the spindle as apposed to a rear steer with the tie rod behind the spindle. The common wisdom is that a front steer set-up is easier on steering components, like the rack and spreader bar(the bar that the tie rods attach to). In a rear steer set-up when you hit something hard with the front tires all of the force is compression force which creates a lot of stress on the rack, mounting bolts etc. With a front steer the force created by hitting something is an expansion force, which has a pulling effect on things like the inner thread of the tie rods...unfortunately the tie rods are exposed, it's a matter of weighing the benefits of a stronger steering set up to the liability of location. Personally, I think the tie rods should be a little heavier wall thickness or a quality dom steel, imho.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There was another member on here that seemed to have a fair bit of insite in to this delema. He was racing custom Prowlers with long travel suspention, and stated that the tie rods needed to be in front of the A arms, not behind, to avoid bending with hard impacts and long travel suspention. I am unsure of the physics behind it, but he seemed to have the experience to know what he was talking about. I will see if I can find the link.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i bent one going dead slow doing the austin powers thing getting through a tight trail took a small tree to the inside of front tire and it slipped past and litterally bumped the steering arm didnt cripple me just made me say hmmm gonna modify the stock a arm protector just gonna bring it forward to cover the rod not gonna help that much for the faster impacts with unseen objects but in my case i could of pushed the machine by hand harder into the tree that got me
I realize these things are not indestructable and overall am really happy with my 2013 limited
curious what the rock crawlers are doing to protect these arms

1 - 20 of 44 Posts