Wildcat Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I need some suggestions on sealing the boots on the rack, apparently the clamps didn't do the job by them self's. How or what do you think would be a good way to seal these areas up so this does not happen again.

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
I need some suggestions on sealing the boots on the rack, apparently the clamps didn't do the job by them self's. How or what do you think would be a good way to seal these areas up so this does not happen again.
You could try safety wire, if you have the wire / pliers. I did a CV boot on my truck once and it held for awhile. I would see if there are better made clamps though, probably your best bet.

Reactions: lonniewrights

·
Registered
17 Posts
This weekend my XX started have a really bad shake in the entire machine every now and then, after a close inspection I have found out my steering rack is completely trash. The machine only has a little over 1400 miles on and I have heard this is a common issue on this machine. Mine is a 2018 so is this something that has happened to others or is it my bad luck. I did get an extended warranty and it should be cover per the paper work but I don't want to put the same style rack on if it's not going to last very long. Any thoughts or information on this issue frt om any others.

it appears it's not uncommon. I also have a 2018 with 1100 miles. I put a Brute Performance rack on it before the original went TU. $500 bucks but worth evey penny.

I

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
3000 miles on our XX and no problems. Everything is still nice and tight. I did install the "missing" driver's side bushing fairly early on, and I built a DIY double shear mount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
3000 miles on our XX and no problems. Everything is still nice and tight. I did install the "missing" driver's side bushing fairly early on, and I built a DIY double shear mount.
I also installed the bushing on my XX. I'm just not comfortable knowing this is not an unusual event. If my stock rack would go TU while down in Baja, it could really end up being a nightmare. So this is why I went to the aftermarket for insurance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joe does this box still require a double shear mount? It seams to me just a stronger box is not enough to over come the poor mounting system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joe does this box still require a double shear mount? It seams to me just a stronger box is not enough to over come the poor mounting system.
It comes with a complete set of hardware to cure the mounting system problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to see the installation and the details when you have the time. There are a few choices out there and I'm not sure which on to go with. how did they reinforce the mounting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the best of the best to overcome the weak oem mount
I take it you purchase those separately, is the bushing needed with the new rack?
Have you seen this one?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the problem with the 2018 primarily or every year? I have a 19' and wondering the best course of action. I don't currently have any issues with it. So should I just get the bushing, the whole rack or the Sandcraft stabilizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Wildcat XX
20 Posts
Race2u, the bushing is not needed for the steering box pictured.
Ragdoll, check the 8 "10mm" fasteners before every ride. Install the bushing to protect the OEM rack.
Thats my 2020 on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the best of the best to overcome the weak oem mount
The Speed SXS double shear mount for the OEM rack does not work with the profile of the PSC rack.

I have designed and produced my own billet and sheet metal mount to properly double shear the PSC rack. Myself and 20 others have had this kit on their XX's and I have heard of zero rack issues and zero failures since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Please reference the photos above. This is the bullet proof system that eliminates the sketchy OEM sheet metal mount as well.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
RagdollXX, I would do the bushing and do the double shear mount for your OEM rack. If you can weld or braze, or know someone that can, I described my DIY double shear mount in another thread. The Speed double shear mount has been redesigned to use the same mounting points that I used, so I think my concept is a good one.

I don't have the part number with me on this trip, but I found a stock Oilite bushing for the '19 and newer OEM rack. 22mm ID, 28mm OD, 30mm length and around $5 compared to $45. The $45 bushing has a tapered OD and is a tiny bit easier to install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RagdollXX, I would do the bushing and do the double shear mount for your OEM rack. If you can weld or braze, or know someone that can, I described my DIY double shear mount in another thread. The Speed double shear mount has been redesigned to use the same mounting points that I used, so I think my concept is a good one.

I don't have the part number with me on this trip, but I found a stock Oilite bushing for the '19 and newer OEM rack. 22mm ID, 28mm OD, 30mm length and around $5 compared to $45. The $45 bushing has a tapered OD and is a tiny bit easier to install.
McMaster is an easy way to get the bushing too ($6.27 + s/h). Thanks for the measurements.

McMaster-Carr

41 - 60 of 65 Posts