Wildcat Forum banner

Steering rack failure

16K views 70 replies 16 participants last post by  drpalo 
#1 ·
This weekend my XX started have a really bad shake in the entire machine every now and then, after a close inspection I have found out my steering rack is completely trash. The machine only has a little over 1400 miles on and I have heard this is a common issue on this machine. Mine is a 2018 so is this something that has happened to others or is it my bad luck. I did get an extended warranty and it should be cover per the paper work but I don't want to put the same style rack on if it's not going to last very long. Any thoughts or information on this issue from any others.

#4 ·
Mine went out recently. I replaced it with the heavy duty PSC steering rack.

Reactions: GTODAN and Ghost23
#7 ·
Oversize/heavier than OEM tires will destroy your steering box and all associated components.
Install gusset kit, appropriate year bronze support bushing (OEM only), upgrade steering box and tie rods.
Always check that the relevant fasteners are tight before each ride. A long handle 10mm combo wrench is the only tool needed.
Pay special attention to the upper/lower spherical joints and dust seals; the seals can pop out of their seat thus leading to premature failure.
Joe

#8 ·
I'm still running the OEM tires so no issue there, not sure why it failed at 1400 miles but it's under warranty. I'll check when i get it back on the support bushing and if it does not have some type of upgrade to the new rack I will install one. I'm a decent wrench turner and keep all my stuff serviced and checked so it's just one of those things that can happen. Thanks for your advice as it's always appreciated.

#9 ·
lonniewrights, I think you will get the '19 and newer rack. When I checked the parts explosion at Country Cat, the p/n is the same as the '18. Assuming that is correct, I can supply the "missing" support bushing for about half of what Speedwerx charges. Message me if you are interested and I'll dig up the dimensions you would need to check.

#10 ·
Will do, when I get it back I'll check it out, if it does not have bushing I will be in touch. On a side note I did check every thing over before I went riding and found no issue's, kinda strange how it just went out that fast. Do you sell other stuff for the XX. I am going to replace the belt and brakes when I get it back so if you sell stuff I would buy from you rather than someone else.

#11 · (Edited)
So far, AC has not seen fit to add that bushing, but who knows, maybe the bean counters were on vacation and the engineers snuck it in.

I found the bushings from an industrial supply company and bought 4. So far, everyone would rather pay double for the brand name bushing. I have about 1500 miles on mine and it is still nice and tight.

I also did a write up on making a DIY double shear mount for the steering rack. I see that the Speed double shear mount is now attaching to the same points that I used.

The triangular space behind and to the outside of the driver's left shoulder is a nice place to store a spare belt.

#17 ·
Sorry about that. I pasted the URL into the link after doing an advanced search to find the article. I think I fixed that link - at least it worked for me just now - but here is a new link:

Now for a chuckle. As I typed this post, I typed "arcticle" instead of article. When we bought our first Wildcat, I almost always typed "Artic Cat" and then had to go back and add that extra c. Now I'm doing the reverse!

#18 ·
Well it's been almost a month since taking the machine in to get the steering fixed, called the dealership and they had to go check on the statis of my claim. 1 hour later they called me back and my claim was denided because it was a normal wear and tear item. I called the warranty company and they said that was how the dealership filed the claim today, interesting that they just filed the claim after I called in to check on it, anyway the dealership say's it's the warranty company who determines what is the reason for the failure and the warranty company said it was how the dealer filed it so nobody is taking responsibility for anything. So in my mind never buy anything from Kevin Powell Motorsports in Greensboro or a extended warranty from RPM One. I'm going to go get my ride and fix it myself and I will do the upgrades to prevent this from happening again.

#19 ·
I've never had a warranty rejection from RPM One. They have the best extended warranty out there. I would give them another call and find out exactly why they denied it. They are right, depends how the dealer presents the claim. You might want to take it to another dealer, and start the claim over again.

#24 ·
Lonnie, did you repair your existing rack or replace it? If it got replaced, I am almost certain that the 2018 bushing will not fit (see post #9).

Arctic Cat has revised the steering rack (which is why there are 2018 bushings and 2019 & newer), but they did not change the p/n for the rack. Without separate part numbers, you'll get the current rack. I have a bushing for it.

#25 ·
Lonnie, did you repair your existing rack or replace it? If it got replaced, I am almost certain that the 2018 bushing will not fit (see post #9).

Arctic Cat has revised the steering rack (which is why there are 2018 bushings and 2019 & newer), but they did not change the p/n for the rack. Without separate part numbers, you'll get the current rack. I have a bushing for it.
I am going to replace it so it will be a new rack system. How do I figure out which one I will need, maybe just get one for the 2019 model?

#29 ·
Got my new rack in and thought I would post pictures of the old one, apprently water had gotten in and trashed it. The only way I can figure is the small clamps on the boot were not very tight and the boot did have some dry rot on them. Now I take very good care of my stuff and this has me at a loss for words. It has never been sunk but we do cross creeks and sometimes the water can be fairly deep but it just dose not make sense to me but it is what it is. I have included some pictures.

#34 ·
Simply pointing out that such a level of corrosion is seen in neglected salt water vessels, i own a Jetski ultra250x and have seen such conditions inside neglected hulls.
Most unusual condition you have there.
Btw, i work at an Arctic Cat dealership and have seen the havoc wreaked upon steering boxes. Never anything like yours

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.