Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the discussion around the wet clutch and the WCD, no one seems to be too concerned about the ridiculously wide steering radius.

Has anyone looked into engineering solutions to tighten up the steering radius?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
more hp to get the rear to slide, thats gonna be about it.

Reactions: TxChristopher

·
Registered
396 Posts
That will always be a problem when you add more suspension on any vehicle. If you bump the XP 900 to the same suspension as the wildcat, you will lose turning radius on it. Just ask any of the guys who have the tricked out suspension on their F250's, They need a whole block to turn it around

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm with you A-pex. The steering radius sucks. Yes, I know how to slide the rear end around. Pretty tuff to do in the timber where there are all kinds of things in your road. Not all of us spend our time in the dunes, I'm there a couple of times a year. The rest of the time its timber/mountain trails, rocks, dirt, water, and mud. If you ride the stuff we ride you will need to practice the reverse/forward shift. Sometimes it may be reverse/forward, reverse/forward so you can just get around the corner. This shift pattern is sometimes (at least on my Cat) hampered by a false neutral between High and Low range. Width of the trails isn't much of an issue for me it's just the tight corners that cause the problems. My 50" RZR was way better in this kind of terrain, I'm dissapointed my Cat isn't better but I'm sill happy I own it! I have no horsepower issues! I do have tire issues, slit a tire at our club ground riding area, first ever flat on a SXS for me. Besides the tires being too delicate for off road use they also load up with mud. Guess I'm in the market for better tires.

This forum spends way too much time on "he said, she said" shit! I personally don't give a damn if your machine is faster that mine. It does things that should be illegal in off road riding, takes some of the thrill out of a serious climb. It also treats my old body much better than my RZR Standard. I'm sure hoping that the majority on this forum are at least on the same page as I am, just getting tired of all of the bs on here. Ya, I know, I don't have to be here but I can filter out a lot of good information from this site, I just have to learn to quit reading some of the posts. Ok, rant over.

Dwight

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
This forum spends way too much time on "he said, she said" shit! I personally don't give a damn if your machine is faster that mine. It does things that should be illegal in off road riding, takes some of the thrill out of a serious climb. It also treats my old body much better than my RZR Standard. I'm sure hoping that the majority on this forum are at least on the same page as I am, just getting tired of all of the bs on here. Ya, I know, I don't have to be here but I can filter out a lot of good information from this site, I just have to learn to quit reading some of the posts. Ok, rant over.

Dwight
The forum has changed, as it would. Initially, everybody was "waiting in anticipation" We were all in the same boat...waiting for our rides! Now that Wildcat's are in our garage, the tone is changing. I was thinking about that the other night, I was gonna post the first 10 thread topics from about a month ago and 10 thread topics of the last few day's...quite a difference...:rolleyes: Myself, I'm thinking that I'm gonna ingest as much info as I can while sorting thru the irrelevant...which might be me!!!:D

·
Vendor
508 Posts
Definitely a wider radius than the 2 seat RZR's, so far hasn't been much of an issue for me but I've been doing mostly open desert. Going to do some rock crawling in the next day or two where it will be much more critical so we'll see.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Whats there to be concerned about? It is what it is, you cant have it all with any sxs. If you want the benefits of a longer wheelbase your gonna have to give up some turning radius.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats there to be concerned about? It is what it is, you cant have it all with any sxs. If you want the benefits of a longer wheelbase your gonna have to give up some turning radius.
I don't disagree that there have to be concessions made with a longer wheel base. That being said, lock to lock, the front tires do not turn as tightly as my RZR-S. That has nothing to do with wheel base, and everything to do with rotation angle allowance of the front suspension geometry.

If you're looking for a real world example, get in a Nissan Frontier and then a Chevy Avalanche or a Suburban (basically the same machines with a different bodies). The Suburban's wheel base is roughly 2 feet longer than the Frontier's and the turning radius is much tighter (probably so Suburban driving soccer-moms can park them at the grocery store). ;)

As far as what's there to be concerned about... it depends on where you ride. I live in Colorado where there are a TON of tight cornered trails.

From a more comical perspective: When riding with my RZR buddies, it sure would be a little embarrassing if my expensive new high-tech machine had to keep doing 7 point turns in order to make it up the majority of the trails. :pat:

·
Registered
329 Posts
You hit the nail on the head A-pex! We also ride a lot in Colorado. Not only RZR's will out turn me so will rhinos :mad:. You're also correct on the wheel base part, what we need is more wheel cut. I'm away from home now so I can't look at mine, I'm hoping there is a way to increase the wheel cut, probably won't be, but I'm hoping!

Dwight

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any updates on turning radius and steering geometry?

I test drove the WC again today and OMFG the turning radius is atrocious! :nada:

I REALLY want to put my deposit down on a black WC next week, but if there's no way to fix the geometry, I just can't do it. It won't run on the trails that I'd be running every weekend and it won't even makes some of the corners on the track that I run on.

Anyone have any thoughts on if/how we can upgrade the steering geometry for increased turning angle?

I'm taking the XP for another test run later this week, and if there's not a good answer for the steering, it looks like I might have to go that route and give up the much better suspension. That's a direction I'd rather not go, but if that's the only choice I have I guess I'm stuck.

Thoughts/recommendations?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
completely change out the power steering gear box. HEAR THAT AFTERMARKET GUYS!!!,

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I agree the turning radius is way wide, you absolutely have to plan ahead to make it between trees and even then you have a good chance at not making it. If you run a lot of tight trails this machine will not work out. Also it needs a rearview mirror the visibility when backing is practically zero.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i am having to stop and backup on several of my turns made by my rzr,,,bummed,

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
completely change out the power steering gear box. HEAR THAT AFTERMARKET GUYS!!!,
I'm not sure that has alot to do with it, some maybe. i think the best way to improve the turning radius is to move the tie rods on the spindle side closer to the centerline of the spindle. The spindle moves in an arc with it's centerline created by the upper and lower ball joints, (aka the kingpin angle). The farther the tie rod mount is from this centerline the less arc the spindle will move, the closer to the centerline the greater the arc. If you look at the wildcat from the side (overlooking the tire) you'll see that the tie rod isn't parallel to the axle, and is actually about an inch farther (or forward) on the spindle side. It isn't wrong, just how they (AC) did it. If the cv's would allow it, I think that the tie rod mount on the spindle upright should be moved back about an inch. I haven't done the math yet to figure out the increase in the turning radius, but it will increase it. It's on my "to do list"

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm with you on this one Wild. I've built a number of front ends for small race cars with 1 turn or less from lock to lock. Steering arm length and geometry play a big part in making it work. I'm away from home now but as soon as I get home I'll be looking to see if I can change the length of the arm without causing any problems. I've not worked with anything that has this amount of suspension or was 4 wheel drive so I'm not sure of what problems I will run into.

Dwight

1 - 20 of 44 Posts