Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I had the clutch issues behind me. AC put 2 new primarys on in '17 and '18. '17 one didn't fix anything, '18 ran well until last weekend. Got warmed up and couldn't move the gear lever just like before.
I got the right tools together and took it apart. Center bearing on primary turns freely. Blew a small amount of dust out of everything. It's never had water or mud in the belt cover. I did see where the clutch towers were scored from the spider moving up and down. It doesn't slide freely.
Used 400 600 1000 sandpaper and shined them up. Put it in the oven to 200 degrees. Got it to slide freely even when hot.
Now my question, would a Dalton spring kit or any kit with a stronger spring help this situation? Also, I wonder if the 2020 models they are selling have this flaw as well?

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
Definitely try the Dalton kit. Everybody raves about it, haven't heard many if any negatives. Also, just a tip, you might know but it doesn't matter what manufacturer, after every ride / trip, blow your clutch out with compressed air. Clutch dust will eventually destroy a clutch.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The Dalton primary spring is actually softer than the stock, you could possibly improve the problem with a stronger spring but then your engagement rpm would be ridiculously higher than it already is, if you have problem with clutch sticking sanding the towers seems to be the only fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thought I had the clutch issues behind me. AC put 2 new primarys on in '17 and '18. '17 one didn't fix anything, '18 ran well until last weekend. Got warmed up and couldn't move the gear lever just like before.
I got the right tools together and took it apart. Center bearing on primary turns freely. Blew a small amount of dust out of everything. It's never had water or mud in the belt cover. I did see where the clutch towers were scored from the spider moving up and down. It doesn't slide freely.
Used 400 600 1000 sandpaper and shined them up. Put it in the oven to 200 degrees. Got it to slide freely even when hot.
Now my question, would a Dalton spring kit or any kit with a stronger spring help this situation? Also, I wonder if the 2020 models they are selling have this flaw as well?
I i

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 trail limited, just hit 300 miles, 3rd trip out mine started doing that, was a hot day, so she's going to dealer tomorrow

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have a 2020 trail limited, just hit 300 miles, 3rd trip out mine started doing that, was a hot day, so she's going to dealer tomorrow
Be interesting to hear what they do about it.
Most dealer mechanics aren't into the sport enough to follow actual problems & tend to just replace parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Says a lot about a company that keeps putting our a defective product. I was considering selling our trail to a friend and getting a leftover sport. But I don't want to start the process of rebuilding a new one.
I wish the Kawi trail model wasn't 20 grand.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Most companys are like that, it took Chev 20 yrs before they fixed V-8 centerhead problem :rolleyes:
Dealer support is more important than company support IMHO.
Personally, other than a couple little issues I've been more than happy with my old Trail & now my 18 Sport, I had way less support & way more problems with Bomb atvs & snowmo's (n)

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Definitely try the Dalton kit. Everybody raves about it, haven't heard many if any negatives. Also, just a tip, you might know but it doesn't matter what manufacturer, after every ride / trip, blow your clutch out with compressed air. Clutch dust will eventually destroy a clutch.
This is excellent advice!! I have a 2014 Trail and I've done this since new. I have over 5,000 miles on my clutches and (knock on wood) I have never had a clutch or belt (still original) issue. I just consider it part of my overall maintenance I perform after every weekend I ride.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I have a 2015 Trail Limited...I have 14,000 plus miles on and just replaced my primary clutch...It's still in good working order...The reason for change was wear on the irreplaceable inner clutch weight pin rollers...Still working but sloppy...I blow the clutch out every 2000 miles and I lube all moving clutch pieces with expensive, Genuine Dupont Teflon spray, nothing else period...Then after it dries wipe the access of the sheaves Also lube the shaft roller bearing the best you can do not use oil because it will get on the belt...I have a K&N filter kit and clean the side prefilter after EVERY ride...This is the very most important thing to do to keep clean air going into the air breather and clutches...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts