Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first full weekend of riding with XPs and a big bore Rhino at the dunes. I do have a clutch issue, in that my secondary has the spring to match my CVtech primary that Adam put in it, and I took my WCD and primary out and replaced it with a stock setup. This causes my secondary to shift out way too fast and back shift even less, so I was a bit gimped, but not much because even though I only revved to 6300 wide open, it still ran as fast as my brother's with a completely stock setup at 7000 rpm.

My first night out, I was simply amazed at the suspension as has been said so many times before, even more so, the handling. It is so low, and wide, I was cutting corners at 50 mph without lifting the throttle at all, and never once felt like it even wanted to high side at all!!!! Simply amazing handling. Top speed 58 mph with 14" V rolls on 14x8 hiper dakar 2s in 4wd.

The brakes after being burnished, were great. No more spongey feeling, no more problems stopping, the brakes are fine.

The Walker Evans shocks are amazing, ran at 5 clicks, never even took 1 sharp hit, in so many places that used to jam my spine into my brain when driving a RZR s or XP from bottoming out. I really though the stock setup would not be adequate, but I was so so so so so wrong. These shocks dampen so perfectly it's amazing. Soft and smooth at the top, but very progressive.

Here comes the bad part: if you like to ride hard in trails, in sand like we do, this machine is simply not quick, or fast enough. It barely hits 40 between corners that an XP easily hits 50-55. I can say without a doubt, with stock clutching, an XP will kill this machine, hands down in speed and acceleration. The only place I could take the XPs was in 90 degree corners where I didn't have to lift the throttle. I almost rolled the XP driver 2 times making him try to keep up, but after he worked around the corner, he had no issues closing the gap back up. I will say he was taking a pretty good beating even with his new Elka shocks, and he said it looked like my Cat was glued to the ground. It rarely lifted a wheel in the roughest off camber trail transitions I could find.

The rest of the bad: today my brother was taking his wife for a leisurely spin around the trails and came back with a bent rear radius rod. He ran over a small tree root sticking up through the sand in the trail, and it somehow bent a radius rod like banana???? Needless to say, this must be a weak point, because we have hit this same spot 100s of times in our RZRs and while it felt like you bottomed out and broke a wheel in half, nothing ever bent or broke.

My plans: take 2 weekends off and head to the machine shop. First, fix the wet clutch delete setup. For many people the Wet clutch and stock primary will be fine. The power delivery is very smooth, very linear, great for my wife or sister in law to drive the kids around, but just doesn't suit my needs. My S would outrun it in our trails the way it is. The acceleration is just slow. The stock primary not back shifting just slows you down too much sliding corners and trying to accelerate out. It also won't backshift up hills as mentioned.

Project 2, create rear radius rods from 3/4 4130 with thread in heims. If these things bend that easy, I'll be damned if I am giving AC $$100$$$$ every other weekend. I just hope the bending is not due to some suspension geometry setup issue. Surely they wouldn't have missed that????????

At the end of the day, I'm still very pumped about this machine. I wouldn't trade it for 2 XPs or anything else. I'm done with the over powered Polaris golf carts. I still love my cat, I still plan to keep it, I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a great machine. It also is the greatest platform to build on. You can't sink enough money into any other side x side to get this type of handling. The motor and clutch setup will end up being about 1500 in my brother's after we test the WCD we are building in mine. The CVtech primary Adam used in mine is not too expensive and the rest of the parts will be fabbed by us. Mine will guinea pig the setup for a couple weeks then we will install the 2nd one in my brother's. It will take us 2 weekends to get everything done, and I will toss some pics and results when we do.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Do you think it would run faster in the sand trails with the stock tires vs v-rolls? I'm bringing my cat to Little Sahara in April so I am thinking no paddles for a while.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Red, thanks for the great feed back. I think alot of us that go to the sand dunes have come up with the same conclusions as you. I look forward to hearing how the testing comes out. To bad AC didnt get this one right for the sand dunes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for all your R&D, RED, sounds like your on the right track. I will look forward to the results. We have two manufacturing plants in Tulsa. If it is not too far would like to see the progress next time I am there.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
thanks for your feed back i will trade my cat for 2 xp and sell one and buy a new wildcat:applaus:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Great write up RED......just where did the radius rod bend?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had my first full weekend of riding with XPs and a big bore Rhino at the dunes. I do have a clutch issue, in that my secondary has the spring to match my CVtech primary that Adam put in it, and I took my WCD and primary out and replaced it with a stock setup. This causes my secondary to shift out way too fast and back shift even less, so I was a bit gimped, but not much because even though I only revved to 6300 wide open, it still ran as fast as my brother's with a completely stock setup at 7000 rpm.

My first night out, I was simply amazed at the suspension as has been said so many times before, even more so, the handling. It is so low, and wide, I was cutting corners at 50 mph without lifting the throttle at all, and never once felt like it even wanted to high side at all!!!! Simply amazing handling. Top speed 58 mph with 14" V rolls on 14x8 hiper dakar 2s in 4wd.

The brakes after being burnished, were great. No more spongey feeling, no more problems stopping, the brakes are fine.

The Walker Evans shocks are amazing, ran at 5 clicks, never even took 1 sharp hit, in so many places that used to jam my spine into my brain when driving a RZR s or XP from bottoming out. I really though the stock setup would not be adequate, but I was so so so so so wrong. These shocks dampen so perfectly it's amazing. Soft and smooth at the top, but very progressive.

Here comes the bad part: if you like to ride hard in trails, in sand like we do, this machine is simply not quick, or fast enough. It barely hits 40 between corners that an XP easily hits 50-55. I can say without a doubt, with stock clutching, an XP will kill this machine, hands down in speed and acceleration. The only place I could take the XPs was in 90 degree corners where I didn't have to lift the throttle. I almost rolled the XP driver 2 times making him try to keep up, but after he worked around the corner, he had no issues closing the gap back up. I will say he was taking a pretty good beating even with his new Elka shocks, and he said it looked like my Cat was glued to the ground. It rarely lifted a wheel in the roughest off camber trail transitions I could find.

The rest of the bad: today my brother was taking his wife for a leisurely spin around the trails and came back with a bent rear radius rod. He ran over a small tree root sticking up through the sand in the trail, and it somehow bent a radius rod like banana???? Needless to say, this must be a weak point, because we have hit this same spot 100s of times in our RZRs and while it felt like you bottomed out and broke a wheel in half, nothing ever bent or broke.

My plans: take 2 weekends off and head to the machine shop. First, fix the wet clutch delete setup. For many people the Wet clutch and stock primary will be fine. The power delivery is very smooth, very linear, great for my wife or sister in law to drive the kids around, but just doesn't suit my needs. My S would outrun it in our trails the way it is. The acceleration is just slow. The stock primary not back shifting just slows you down too much sliding corners and trying to accelerate out. It also won't backshift up hills as mentioned.

Project 2, create rear radius rods from 3/4 4130 with thread in heims. If these things bend that easy, I'll be damned if I am giving AC $$100$$$$ every other weekend. I just hope the bending is not due to some suspension geometry setup issue. Surely they wouldn't have missed that????????

At the end of the day, I'm still very pumped about this machine. I wouldn't trade it for 2 XPs or anything else. I'm done with the over powered Polaris golf carts. I still love my cat, I still plan to keep it, I would still recommend it to anyone looking for a great machine. It also is the greatest platform to build on. You can't sink enough money into any other side x side to get this type of handling. The motor and clutch setup will end up being about 1500 in my brother's after we test the WCD we are building in mine. The CVtech primary Adam used in mine is not too expensive and the rest of the parts will be fabbed by us. Mine will guinea pig the setup for a couple weeks then we will install the 2nd one in my brother's. It will take us 2 weekends to get everything done, and I will toss some pics and results when we do.
There must be something wrong with your WC Unless your saying TENNESSEE and I are liars

Factory UTV said he flew up the steepest hill at Glamis go back and read his posts

My WC aint that slow

"Then we decided to get some exercise and took the machines out for a run. We wanted to see how fast they were. We came across a long stretch of hard even clay that ran for about half a mile. I let off on mine to about 5 miles per hour until they caught up and then i hit it. We had my stock wildcat, a stock can am commander 1000 x, and a stock rzr xp. About 100 feet into it, i started pulling away from them and it looked like they had let off on the throttle but they did not. At about a half mile, i was a good 50-100 feet in front of them. It blew my mind that it was that fast."

I have also dusted Commader 1000s.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Nobody flew up glamis Scheuch is full of it. I will say it again for his benefit flat straight ground the cats clutching/primary is fine. I'm glad you ride slow enough for it not to bother you but there is an issue for others;)

·
Vendor
508 Posts
The big heavy Vrolls kill the stock Wildcat, no question about that. I haven't been to Glamis with the Wildcat, but am pretty confident with the 12 in Skats our stock Wildcat will climb pretty much anything a stock XP will climb there. Difference between the lightweight shorter/much lighter skats and the Vrolls is NIGHT AND DAY. I ripped up the steepest stuff at Dumont no problem, which I could not come close to doing with air down stock tires or I'm sure the Vrolls since our Wildcat ran worse than stock with the Vrolls.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The big heavy Vrolls kill the stock Wildcat, no question about that. I haven't been to Glamis with the Wildcat, but am pretty confident with the 12 in Skats our stock Wildcat will climb pretty much anything a stock XP will climb there. Difference between the lightweight shorter/much lighter skats and the Vrolls is NIGHT AND DAY. I ripped up the steepest stuff at Dumont no problem, which I could not come close to doing with air down stock tires or I'm sure the Vrolls since our Wildcat ran worse than stock with the Vrolls.
woops

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nobody flew up glamis Scheuch is full of it. I will say it again for his benefit flat straight ground the cats clutching/primary is fine. I'm glad you ride slow enough for it not to bother you but there is an issue for others;)
So sorry... I thought comp hill was at Glamis

I wasnt there when Bob was racing but I did see his WC go up comp hill at Dumont with no problems several times. I to am confused about how some can make it up a sand hill and some cant. Comp hill at Dumont is way bigger then olds.
Flew up the much steeper hill to the left of comp too what ever that is called :cool:

If you didn't wreck your motor you could buy the right tires and be out having fun! LMFAO

dumb ass

suck on that dude:31:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
somebody flew up the steepest hill at Glamis ?? id pay money to see that
YOu can see it for free - just watch any XP do it!
Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm not joking either.
I drove a stock XP with both maxxis bighorns aired down to 8psi and paddle tires set up for a RZR-S (Extreme 7 paddle 25X10X12 - most XP's run 26" 8 or 9 paddle). The paddles only yielded about an extra mile per hour and made the car feel less mushy.
I also drove the wildcat with the stock tires aired down to 5psi.
I like the forward visibility of the WC way better, as well as the seating position. The suspension is also way better. But that's about it. I could take or leave the power steering - not enough feedback for my liking but it's nice to not have to work at turning at all.
IMO, even with the lesser suspension, for a strictly or mostly sand driver, the XP, stock, wins hands down, no question about it. Especially if you have friends with sandrails that you need to keep up with in the dunes. The XP did it no problem, the WC had to take some short cuts and ride lower in the bowls to keep up.
NO, the wildcat did not make it up Oldsmobile. And we didn't even take it to china wall because, whats the point? The XP went up both with no problem, and could have got air at the top of China wall if he were an idiot, or at least had a spotter.
Lucky for me, I probably won't be buying anything until late this year (already have a rzr-s for the dirt and a sandrail for the dunes).
A buddy of mine asked me, if someone were holding a gun to your head right now, saying "CHOOSE! XP or WC". I told him I'd be forced to go with the XP. There are a tone of proven aftermarket products for it right now, and the feel and application of power, stock, is FAR superior.
The lack of power(or application thereof) in the dunes on the WC as it sits, stock, really was a disappointment for me. the engine tone and flat torque curve reminded me of the mini bikes with the 2.5hp briggs and stratton motors I had when I was a kid..
Hopefully, when I'm ready to buy next fall, either Arctic Cat does something to address the power or there are viable, affordable bolt-on mods available that have proven reliable. I'll even consider a mild port job and cam change.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Olds might be the biggest hill in Glamis but its not the steepest. Hill 5 is significantly steeper. And based on the three WC's I saw at Olds, there is no way a stock WC will make it up Hill 5 regardless of tire setup...maybe with stock tires in AWD after a fresh rain storm. I want to eat my words though, trust me...I would love to see it happen.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I didn't buy vrolls, you again show how much you actually pay attention here. Hill 5 is china wall. I know you refuse to read anything you don't write yourself. Back in your closet sir :} I did climb olds with no problem as well, but I still lost to an xp. Its funny how abusive you are and how much incorrect information you post at the same time. Maybe you consider 5mph flying hell if I know but the only sxs that fly up hills have turbos:rolleyes: or a lot of motor work.

There is an absolute huge difference between making it up a hill "easy" and keeping up with the competition. Red had his out with an xp all weekend and you can read how it went for him. Please continue to ignore everything that doesn't go along with how you feel:cool:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts