Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2013 x with fox shocks can just recharge the shocks . with out rebuilding the the shocks have 1900 miles on them no oil leaks have not checked to see if there is any charge in them yet. just want to know if i can just charge them

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I believe those have a schrader valve, like a tire. It is almost impossible to set them accurately without a special tool that maintains pressure while manipulating the valve insert. Of course if they are empty, uneven pressures would still be an improvement. Nitrogen only. Air will have enough moisture to eventually corrode the workings.

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
I have 2013 x with fox shocks can just recharge the shocks . with out rebuilding the the shocks have 1900 miles on them no oil leaks have not checked to see if there is any charge in them yet. just want to know if i can just charge them
Yeah, you can if needed. Fox Shocks take a needle valve. You'll have to get that, and also you’ll need the entire nitrogen set-up. Power Tank makes an excellent one. Bought one at the Sand Show 10+ years ago for around $350. You can't tough them now for that price LOL. Do you have everything that's needed? If not, take it to either a suspension tuner, or qualified dealer. If you're not leaking, what makes you think you need a recharge?

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
I believe those have a schrader valve, like a tire. It is almost impossible to set them accurately without a special tool that maintains pressure while manipulating the valve insert. Of course if they are empty, uneven pressures would still be an improvement. Nitrogen only. Air will have enough moisture to eventually corrode the workings.
Fox Shocks don't come with Scrader valves unless they were changes out. The bottom of the reservoir cans has a rubber plug which you have to pierce with the needle. It's a PITA! Easier to change to Schraders.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
It is good to be wrong on this! The needle is so much cheaper.

Before dropping $350, go to your local welding supply store. My setup might have cost me half of that. It was a long time ago, though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it use to ride over wash board bumps with out jarring the crap out me. but I did change the ride hight from 10 1/2 in. to 12 1/2 in.

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
it use to ride over wash board bumps with out jarring the crap out me. but I did change the ride hight from 10 1/2 in. to 12 1/2 in.
On a 8 / 9 year old car, and 1900 miles, and guessing stock suspension I would think your springs are more of the issue. Stock suspension springs, even from Fox don't last forever. You could try Eibach, Bandit, Shock Therapy, MTS, etc.

If you do get new springs, it's not an easy job. You'll need a spring compressor, if you don't have one let somebody qualified do it, like a dealer or performance-based shop. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone, after they install the springs, ask them to check and adjust the nitrogen pressure. Should be in the neighborhood of around 150 psi.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do know how to do spring replacement. I found ratchet straps work very well for spring compressing and I do have spring compressing tools. I guess have to invest in some new bandit spring I liked them on my wildcat trail. thank for the information. I was going to try moving the ride height back down to 10 1/2 in. and see if that changed it. what you think.

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I just put the bandit springs on this winter on my 14x w/ Fox Podiums, along with a shock rebuild/service. Granted I went through the entire chassis and suspension, but it rides a lot better now. Very happy. It had 2700-2800 miles if I remember correctly and my suspension guy said they were "trash" inside. (Not actual particles/junk inside but long overdue for some service). Just FYI.

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
I do know how to do spring replacement. I found ratchet straps work very well for spring compressing and I do have spring compressing tools. I guess have to invest in some new bandit spring I liked them on my wildcat trail. thank for the information. I was going to try moving the ride height back down to 10 1/2 in. and see if that changed it. what you think.
I think your best bet is to get new springs. Stuff wears out, suspension is near the top of the list. That old saying "You have to pay to play"!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess that's what I'm going to do redo shocks seals and springs maybe spring first and rebuild shocks this winter and all the bushing's. thank you guys for the info.

Reactions: ARG and Hollywood

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
If you were able to reset the ride height and raise it, your springs are okay. Sag is the only reason to replace springs unless you are looking for an upgrade, and you can't raise the ride height appreciably if your springs are sagging.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so I the springs are ok because I put 250 miles on and the spring are at the same height I adjusted them to well that's a good thing. not really looking to up grade.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure what you did but the one thing that should have been done is change the oil. If the are not leaking air recharging won't do anything.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure what you did but the one thing that should have been done is change the oil. If the are not leaking air recharging won't do anything.
the only thing I did was raise the height because when I bought this x cat rode it and started checking thing out found the height was at 10 1/2 in all 4 corners it rode smooth and after i raised the height the wash board trails beat me up . I bought it used 4 year's ago with 388 miles on it had a lot of problems but I have everything run good now. but that's another story. just trying to get to smooth out them wash board again thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your ride went away when you compressed the springs to gain ride height. There's 2 things you can do. Buy aftermarket springs or change the pressure in the shocks. The pressure should be at 200 psi. Lower it to 160. If the pressure has leaked out this too could be the problem. I've been rebuilding Fox Shocks for more than 20 years. Dialing in the shocks to work well with the springs is not easy. Now, with all this information here's what I would do. Change height back to
10-3/4", and see how it rides. Go up 1/4" until the ride you are comfortable with. If adding 1/4" is too much the cost of making it better is not cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a shock tool coming today to check pressure to see if that is part of the problem for starters . I have rebuilt fox shock's on snowmobile before so I have a good idea how they work . and than I will follow what you said. going to rebuild them this winter thank you for the info. I took the snowmobile shock to dealer to have charged up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are your shocks 2 stage? If so you may be able to get where you want to be with them. Raise the top spring 1/4" and then check the ride. Do this until you get what you think desire. Just make sure the bottom spring has a little compression in it. You don't want the spring floating around.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I got my shock tool and checked the pressure in the shocks with all the wheel on the ground it only had 100 psi in them I know if I would have lifted off the ground it would have been less. so now I need to get nitrogen tank and gauges to check if it will hold psi or not.

·
Administrator
27,916 Posts
Ok I got my shock tool and checked the pressure in the shocks with all the wheel on the ground it only had 100 psi in them I know if I would have lifted off the ground it would have been less. so now I need to get nitrogen tank and gauges to check if it will hold psi or not.
Just to interject here for a second, but you never measure shock pressure with the car on the ground. It has to be jacked up, and free of any load on the shock. IMO, what you measured isn't going to be correct.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts