Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week I finished installing the long travel kit on my trail. Went for a test ride around the woods in back of my house. Upon inspection I found one of my front outer cv boots twisted up with some grease leaking from the outer clamp due to it being pulled loose. Called super atv and they are sending me aboot kit. They felt something got wedged in there to spin the boot. There is no evidence of boot puncture or trauma. Was curious if any one else experienced this situation. Thanks. 0326201730_HDR.jpg 0326201805a_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Would have to agree, can't imagine how the boot could twist unless something wedged in there to twist it as the axle rotated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this morning I go to remove the axle and it won't release from the transaxle. I push in on the axle and feel no detent to release the clip also hitting the end of the axle with a deadblow will not do anything. When I originally installed the front axles (rhino) they would not slip in easily I had to tap them in with a dead blow. The rears slid right in like they should so I don't think its me or my technique. Not sure what to do with it. Super atv tech people offered no advice. Any advive is appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to talk to someone at super atv who helped me out. Basically telling not to worry about damaging axle removing it. Disassembled inner joint and used a slide hammer with some little jaws to get it out. The problem is the clips that came with the replacement axles are a bit thicker than the original. It actually had grooves in it from the splines. Also the original axles you have to push in on the axle to release the clip in the trans axle. The rhino axles you do not ,maybe the reason for using a thicker clip. Although in my application they are a little to thick. Super atv is very busy and also shorthanded due to the pandemic. Also I saw on the news they are making faceshields for medical people. So I appreciate them taking care of me. Hope this info helps somebody someday.

·
Vendor
170 Posts
Thanks man! Yeah, its been a wild ride for everyone out there... We're trying to make the best of a bad situation by switching up production to help out.

Those axles are kind of tricky. AC has a patent on their clip setup, so to get around it and make an axle that won't slip out, we had to add those super heavy clips. So just give us hell and yank it out. Hard push/pull works well. Feel free to give us a call whenever. We've been busy, but the phone lines are always open.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am with the medium bandit springs. I've only put 15 miles on it on some rough terrain. They seem to be fine. Although it's hard for me to compare it to anything as I only have 65 miles on the machine. Going to brimstone next week so I might get to compare the ride to a polaris at least. For whatever thats worth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I don't think that is an issue neither did super atv. They think a stick or something might have got wedged in there , which is possible. I took it on a 15 mile ride over some rough terrain after replacing boot and all seems well.

·
Vendor
170 Posts
The kit is a game changer, but boots are always a gamble. Ours are tough, and I'll always stand by anything if you think its an issue with something from me. That long travel really is awesome though. Its a whole different riding experience. Way better ride. Y'all have any questions, feel free to tag me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mtgott to follow up. The trip to Tennessee went good the fox shocks seemed to work fine. I do think the kit is worth it. I was able to go where the big razors and a xx went. And there was some rough stuff. The only issue I had was one rear axle popped out of the transaxle. We were able to pop it back in and rode the whole day and it was fine. I remember when I installed them the back ones slid in pretty easy. The front axles I had to tap in with a deadblow. So I will probably see if I can get some heavier c clips for the rear.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks man! Yeah, its been a wild ride for everyone out there... We're trying to make the best of a bad situation by switching up production to help out.

Those axles are kind of tricky. AC has a patent on their clip setup, so to get around it and make an axle that won't slip out, we had to add those super heavy clips. So just give us hell and yank it out. Hard push/pull works well. Feel free to give us a call whenever. We've been busy, but the phone lines are always open.
@SuperATV - Just sent an email, 1st time out on the trails today with the long travel kit installed and the right rear Rhino axle popped out within 5 minutes. :( Could use some help, looks like the spline is messed up too...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have had a stick or something twist a boot occasionally, I also found if there's too much grease in the joint it will spit a some out & once you get grease between the boot collar & the axle it will spin quite easy.
Looks like you drove a ways with the axle out, on my old Grizzly you could tell immediately if an axle popped out it would pull to one side hard. Never had one pop out of my Trail or my newer Sport.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had a stick or something twist a boot occasionally, I also found if there's too much grease in the joint it will spit a some out & once you get grease between the boot collar & the axle it will spin quite easy.
Looks like you drove a ways with the axle out, on my old Grizzly you could tell immediately if an axle popped out it would pull to one side hard. Never had one pop out of my Trail or my newer Sport.
Yeah, I knew immediately when it popped out. Tried to get it back in, but kept coming out. Thankfully I wasn't very far from my trailer so it didn't see too much time out of the socket. Glad you've never experienced this issue, it sucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have yet to pull my axle back out of my machine. And inspect the seal and change fluid. And maybe burp the boots. Not sure if its an issue with the boots or the clips. Sounds like this was an issue with the kits in the past. And obviously it is now. Maybe super atv can offer an opinion here. Like I stated before I had to tap the front axles in with a dead blow. The rear axles slid in easier which leads me to believe a heavier clip is in order. The picture i posted Earlier of the deformed rear outer cv boot may have been from flopping around while disengaged from the transaxle. When I installed the shafts i didn't notice a vacum situation with the boots.. Guess I just need to pull it apart and inspect it all before I go to wv at end of month. Maybe super atv has some heavier clips to send us.

·
Vendor
170 Posts
Hey fellas.
Yeah, we have heavier C-clips for it. They should have all been reworked with the heavier C-clips...but who knows. We may have missed a few. I'm not really exactly sure what causes that vacuum in the boot, but I've seen it numerous times. Its weird. Maybe the boot clamps are too tight. Could force air out when compressed during travel, and the clamps are just too tight to allow any air back. Feel free to give us a call at 855-743-3427 and use the tech support line if you're needing the heavier C-clips. The boys on the tech line will know what you need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts