Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see how well the Gates 26G3596 belt worked in my Wildcat X so I ran it at the dunes for about 300 miles last week at the dunes. I broke the belt in at home driving around the neighborhood a few times.

At first, during break-in, the Gates belt was jerky when starting off and even lightly smoked a couple times when trying to ease the Wildcat in/out of tight spaces but after a couple break-in runs it seemed fine. On to the dunes... We arrived at Ogilby on Christmas day and the dunes were as virgin as I have seen them in a long time. Sand was soft too. First day riding was mellow with just me an my son but the next day when everybody arrived we rode hard from then on out. After a few days riding, I started getting a couple instances of belt slippage after 20 minutes or so of hard duning. A cool down period and everything was good again. The next day I seemed to get belt slippage earlier and people following me said they could smell belt burning. The final day of the 7 day trip we rode from Ogilby to Glamis but I decided to switch back to stock belt for the 80 mile dune ride since I was starting to get concerned about the Gates slipping and burning.

Honestly, I really couldn't tell a difference between the stock belt and the Gates belt once both had a few miles on them. Running in 4 Hi pretty much full bore in soft sand was a torture test for any belt and I am actually pleased with the Gates belt performance. Unfortunately I wasn't able to subject the stock belt to the same hard riding as a comparison. When I took the Gates out it looked pretty good to be but the sides were pretty smooth (glazing???) but so is the stock belt so....

My stock belt has about 350 miles on it now but not duning as hard as I did with the Gates belt.

In summary, I have no problems running the gates belt and fell it held up pretty well for such hard riding. I have no blower but the ducting on the CVT outlet is removed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
My guess is that with cvt boot off you acheived much greater air flow when I blew my belt this last week at glamis I put new belt on and it was getting dark so I didnt put the cover back on when I got back to camp the belt was barely warm. Next time I go to glamis I am going to remove the cvt boot and run that way and see what happens. I dont want to drill my cover unless I have to.

·
Administrator
27,668 Posts
Sand_duner blew his Gated carbon fiber belt within 65 miles. IMO, the stock belt is the best belt.

Reactions: pawnman and Jbl

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. What did you have to pay for your Gates belt?
I paid about $50 each for the Gates G-Force belt (not the carbon fiber one). I bought them from Cycleplicity.com but their service and shipping was slow and I won't order from them again. I think you can get better prices than that if you shop around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have blown two OEM belts and a EPI belt now. I ran a gates in between the OEM and the EPI, took the gates off to put the EPI on and it looked ok. Put the second Gates on(in the middle of the dunes) when I blew the EPI. Left the cover off after changing it in the dunes and didn't have another problem. I have a belt blower, alba temp gauge, stu paddles, EPI clutch kit and belt exhaust snorkel removed (except the rubber elbow, where the temp sensor is). So far I think I can keep belts from blowing if I run in low range. If I was to buy a wildcat 4 right now I would just remove the cvt cover and run in low range.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You have the wrong size belt on there. The gates is (29G3596)...

Also the carbon belts are all bad. Its a scam. Stay away from carbon.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have the wrong size belt on there. The gates is (29G3596)...
Not necessarily wrong... The 29 belt is 1 mm wider than the 26 and the OEM belt. As best as I can tell, the 26 is a closer match to OEM than the 29. I believe they will both work fine. I do realize that he Gates website lists the 29 belt as replacement for the X models. I'll give the 29 a try one of these days and be happy to report on how that works.

·
Registered
608 Posts
LOL I would still go with what they say. Im no belt engineer but im sure there is some kind of reasoning behind them saying the 29 is the wildcats belt and the 26 is for yamaha.

The belts are $37 on amazon and gates has a $10 rebate for one or $25 for two. At around $25 a belt its worth a try.

It would be cool if everyone picks up these cheap belts and tests them out so we can get some reviews. I dont drive dunes much so I cant help you there but I will be out driving it hard this weekend. We will see if I get the big bang.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was going to try to blow the gates belt on my car and then the pipe cracked/melted. It will have to wait till I go again, two weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
EPI did tell me that the wildcat uses the same belt as the rhino.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ward, what belt are you using - the 29 or the 26?

I do like the fact that the 29 is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bigwood the site doesnt list anything for the X. They told me to run the one for the rhino and thats what they sent me with my clutch kit.
Wyoduner the first gates was 26G3596 I order it off ebay it said it was for 2013 wildcat X. I bought the second two from the AC shop that is behind the wildcat test ride at glamis. They have a NAPA wrapper on them. I will look at the part # when I get home, I still have the wrapper.
Wyoduner did I see you at the dunes, I passed a couple different blue two seaters, mine was the only blue 4 x I saw last weekend.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I have blown two OEM belts and a EPI belt now. I ran a gates in between the OEM and the EPI, took the gates off to put the EPI on and it looked ok. Put the second Gates on(in the middle of the dunes) when I blew the EPI. Left the cover off after changing it in the dunes and didn't have another problem. I have a belt blower, alba temp gauge, stu paddles, EPI clutch kit and belt exhaust snorkel removed (except the rubber elbow, where the temp sensor is). So far I think I can keep belts from blowing if I run in low range. If I was to buy a wildcat 4 right now I would just remove the cvt cover and run in low range.
How could you possibly keep up running in low range at the dunes? I have the cvt exhaust tube removed and drilled 3/4" holes in the top of my cover. My belt stays around 185 degrees for the most part. My buddy has a WC4 and his totally stock with stock tires. He dunes the hell out of his in high range with no issues. I think running without the cover is also fine for the dunes, but shouldn't be necessary. I always run in high gear at the dunes as well. I guess some just blow belts, and some don't........

·
Registered
631 Posts
What is the cvt boot you guys are talking about? The plastic tubing coming off the rear of the clutch cover?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went with Hollywood on a ride this past weekend and had no problem keeping up in low. I haven't had enough rides to tell for sure but it looks like low works fine. With me by myself in the car I climbed Olds twice this past weekend, once in low and once in high, same speed each time, but felt much easier on the car in low. Riding with RZR's this past weekend I think we were going to slow for high gear, they seem to like the slow stuff (torque, gearing???) Dentless have you ever watched your speed to see how fast you are dunning?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Metal thats what I call it the rubber boot that holds the plastic tube coming off the cvt housing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts